what to expect

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booger1286

i have not had my aortic valve replacement yet and may not for a couple of years even but i was just wanting to know what to expect when i wake up from surgery as far as breathing tubes iv and catheters , just have never had any type of surgery and these things freak me out to think of it. what will still be in me and hooked up to me when i wake up. hope im writing this in the right place, just trying to prepare myself.

If it's really a couple of years away, and the thought freaks you out, I'd say go have fun and ignore it for at least ONE of those years! Most of us find the anticipation is scarier than the surgery! When you're wheeled out of the OR and you wake up, "it is what it is" and you cope with it. Also, just about every day usually brings some significant improvement, another step toward normal life and going back home. Worrying about it, on the other hand, can drive some people nuts, and two years is a LONG time to test that theory, IMHO!!

ONEthing to know is that I did NOT feel even one of the tubes in my body being put in and in my case the only one that I was aware off was the intubation tube being taken out ...the doctors and nurses do the drainaage tubes so fast that the discomfort is brief I am the biggest chicken that has been put on the face of this earth and I no longer have ANY reservations of surgery ....medical practitioners today know and will tell you THERE IS NO NEED FOR PAIN

animated_chicken.gif

Last edited:
Hey, "B" you found the right place. Our experience vary somewhat but for the most part I would tell you that surgery is likely to go better than you can every expect. All the things you can imagine will probably never be a problem. As you approach closer to surgery, spend more time thinking about and planning your recovery. A positive outlook and determination to make the best of the situation will serve you well.

Larry

Booger - I had almost 9 years to think about it. I was diagnosed with moderate to severe aortic stenosis in 2002, and my surgery is coming up on March 1. I was panic stricken at first, then I started reading the posts here and asked a lot of questions. The information helped me to "compartmentalize" things so that I am not even worried as my date approaches. I freely admitted that I had much more anxiety about the heart cath than about the surgery itself. Once you have chosen your surgeon, hospital, valve and date, you just do what is on the schedule.

As the others have said, once you've entered the OR, it is what is. I know I'll deal with it, then I'll get on with life in a better way than now!

Hang in there. Live life now, make decisions later, abide by your decisions. Don't agonize or second guess yourself and you will maintain what sanity you have for a long time.

thank you guys for all the replies , when the time comes no matter how bad i dread it i guess i will do what i have to do. just hope to not remember most of it really.

Latest posts

Back