What should I expect?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon4me

Cardio told me today I am in extreme danger of suffering a sudden cardiac event. He told me my BAV is severe and my aneurysm has grown. I was dumbfounded because I don't feel like I'm experiencing many symptoms. Well, maybe shocked is more appropriate. I've narrowed it down to Mayo or Cleveland. He said I will need a heart cath soon in advance of surgery. What are the chances for these types of surgery that I will meet my maker? He said less than 5%. I feel a little like a time bomb now but maybe that's to be expected.

I also replied to your post on the other thread. In response to this question... everyone's situation is different. In general, you probably have a 99% or better chance of coming through this just fine. Remember, the mortality statistics include some very sick people with very dire situations. If you've been running on your treadmill, you're certainly not among the sickest patients in the mortality stats. Be optimistic and move forward. You're going to be fine.

Canon - Aside from what I noted in response to another of your posts, when I had my surgery they told me that the mortality rate for patients with severe aortic stenosis was about 1%, but that the percentages included patients who were otherwise healthy at time of surgery as well as many who were very, very sick at surgery. That, they said, meant that for those of us lucky enough to be healthy and in good shape at time of surgery the odds are well above 99% in our favor. I went with that, and there's more than 99% of me here to speak of it.

you will be fine canon doc told me the same thing they can scare the hell right out of you after surgery i made a point to tell my cardo.dr that he put me thou hell for a couple of months before surgery.he said he just wanted me to take my condition serious see i go to the va hospital and it kinda like national health care takes a long time to get stuff done. i'm facing surgery again to replace the valve they put in april 2012 because it's leaking

I think we all feel as you do when told we are to have cardiovascular surgery! I didn't vacuum or clean toilets for 6 weeks waiting for my 1st surgery! I was afraid my aneurysm would burst! My last was my 3rd surgery, and the odds were much worse, but, thankfully I didn't know what they were at the time. I came through really well. You will, too. Choose a very confident, experienced surgeon. It will give you confidence that you will survive!

Thanks for the words of encouragement:) I'm going to either the number 1 or 2 rated heart centers in the country. All I can do is put myself in the hands of the skilled doctors and hope the Good Lord answers my prayers. He has looked after me pretty good so far. Hopefully, he still has some things down here he wants me to accomplish:). I would be lying if I didn't say I am a little concerned about this whole affair but worrying never helped anyone.

Don't forget - you choose not only the facility in which you will have your surgery, but your surgeon as well. Be sure you choose a surgeon who has a lot of experience in your particular type of valve issue. If possible, also ensure that you are comfortable with that surgeon because your heart will literally be in their hands.

As for the surgeon's confidence, my surgeon told me "I'll have to admit that I am not #1 in the country for this procedure, but I AM #2!"

What should I expect?

The odds are stacked well in your favour - stay positive, you will come through it just fine. Good luck!

I personally believe in quantum immortality, so I am not worried about death. One doctor told that the total surgical risk is <1%. Another one (did around 300 surgeries) told that for Bentall procedure the risk of death is 2-3%, and there is further 1% risk of non-lethal stroke. I doubt that the first one is so much better than the second one, its more likely that their estimation of chances is not too accurate.

If you are worried about the cardiac cathe, it is to see what if any of your arteries are clogged and how bad if they are. It would be a clear indicator of how sooin you would need the surgery. Ant you are good hands to make sure of what they are dealing with in doing tests to check everything else out. You will come through just fine. Do not think about the what if I don't make it scenerio, it just makes one more scared and nervous. You will be fine. Just now take a deep breathe and let it out slowly, do this a few time and you will feel better. Hugs for today.

I wish you all the best Canon. The odds are far more in your favor as compared to many other things you likely do every day (I'm in Risk Management). None the less, the waiting before hand is the worse part. Keep yourself and mind occupied and soon it will be complete and you will be amazed in how good you feel.

Canon4me,

Like you, I had severe BAV, but with very little symptoms and I only woke up to the need to address the issue with surgery, when the cardiologist threatened to remove driving privileges...that was my wakeup call that it was time and get over the fear, after several years in the waiting room.

As mentioned before, the odds for success are really in your favour and quite simply, you do not have a choice, as no surgery with your BAV is far worse.....so some walls we cannot move and we roll with the punches.

Although no procedure is fun in preparing for your surgery, the cathscan is a good thing done for fully informing the surgeon and is not so bad.

The good news is that all discomfort in heart surgery is usually rather short lived compared to many other medical interventions, success ratio is high and rehab, can be weeks or a few months for most undergoing heart surgery, with the very occasional exception.

I Recently had knee surgery, sounds simple, but darn in so many ways, is way more painful, it has been way longer in the waiting room, way longer in rehab and recovery and way more painful than heart surgery...go figure

It is normal to worry, but do not over worry on what is not in your control as this is truly uncessary stress and not a good thing.

It will go well and tell yourself that whenever the cloud looms above.

Gil

Re: What should I expect?

Always remember that if they recommend surgery, it's because they think the risk is higher if you don't do it than if you do.
So if the risk of the surgery is 5% (which sounds very high) it means the risk of dying without surgery is even higher.

That said, you sound like an otherwise healthy person, so the risk of anything happening during surgery is probably really low.

Wait if that surgeon keeps saying he is #2, then who is #1?

Isn't it rather subjective who is 'really' Number #1 vs #2? :)
If, indeed, one really is #2 in the country, isn't that good enough for most of us?
I had both my heart surgeries at Mass General in Boston. It is always rated in the top five heart centers in U.S. Whether it was Number 3 or Number 5 the years I had my surgeries, I was quite content with either. ;)

and to be honest, its not just about the surgeon's abilities, its about the whole team...and thats not me saying that, thats a very senior surgeon at a cardiac surgery conference. He likens the team to a "pit crew", with professionals who know what each other has to do, and when..... the anaesthetist, the perfusionist, the theatre nursing team, the surgeon, assistant surgeon, trainee surgeon, (one to open, one to connect the bypass and to put in the valve, one to close etc etc)...Its certainly not the one surgeon who does everything...certainly one who is in charge and is responsible, but he has others to assist, then its the ICU team who take over your management for the next 24 or so hours after surgery, and they have to be on their game, and then its to the cardiac ward, abnd then it the cardiac rehab...and so you can see its all about the wider team and the system...not just the individual...and there are certainly some relatively junior surgeons who have been trained by a number of the best experienced surgeons, and hence they have excellent skills gleened from a number of the top surgeons, but they don't yet have years and years of experience, but they may be up with the very latest technique or valve etc.
Some surgeons have seemingly worse performances statistcally, but when the cases are actually reviewed, it may well be that they have taken on lost of very difficult or very challenging cases, of patients who had lots of co-morbidities and other problems, and depsite the best care may have a poor outcome even with teh best of surgeons, conversely, some surgeons pick only the relatively straight forward cases, and so have what appears to be a good track record....so, be guided by your medical team. I would rather a surgical team that worked well together, in a supportive team, rather than a surgeon who is somewhat like "Dr House" with an amazing personal knowledge and ability, but with a team that hate working with him....and at the end of the day you need to be close to family and friends, so you may not have a whole lot of choice as to where you get an operation. To be honest, no one gets to do valve replacement surgeries until they have passed a raft of assessments and their procedures have been reviewed and observed and they continue to be reviewed throughout their careeer. Number 1, number 2, number 10....who knows, who cares, it depends on so many factors that any so called surgical rating is baloney, honestly, just try and get a team at a hospital that does lots of your particular surgeries...I wanted a good, well drilled "pit crew" who do lots of aortic valve surgeries ....and I was fortunate to have such a team....take care and let us know how you get on.

and to be honest, its not just about the surgeon, its about the whole team...
To be honest, no one gets to do valve repalcement surgeries until theyhave passed a raft of assessments and their procedures have been reviewed and observed and they continue to be reviewed throughout their careeer.

Most important points. This review is central to many sciences and is something that many "lay people" don't experience in their careers ans so perhaps don't fully grasp.

Its why also that peer reviewed journals are more reliable than magazines

:)

Latest posts

Back