What percentage of people take Coumadin vs warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What percentage of people take Coumadin vs warfarin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

When you consider the total number of prescriptions dispensed for both Coumadin and warfarin in 2004, what percentage were for the brand name Coumadin?

I voted 0-9%..Is that Betty voting with me again? what will we win this time? LOL Bonnie

I would say it was fairly high, given the bad press that warfarin gets.

100% of my prescriptions were written for Coumadin, but 100% were filled with Warfarin. The laws here (Nevada) allow pharmacies to fill a 'script for a brand-name drug with a generic if you ask them to.

My INR is a bit more stable with brand-name Coumadin, but my financial situation is pretty lousy so I take the cheaper Warfarin.

Coumadin originally prescribed

Coumadin originally prescribed

Original prescription was for brand name Coumadin.

In Ontario pharmacists have the right to substitute generic for brand name and did.

At that time I was experiencing nosebleeds. Also the generic pill was harder to break in half.

Explained situation to PCP and he prescribed Coumadin without substitution.

My doctor writes all my prescriptions for name brands but lists substitutions allowed.

I don't think I've ever had a prescription written that had the generic name.

With our prescription coverage a generic will be substituted unless otherwise specified.
The doctor must put DAW on the scrip.
That means Dispense As Written.
Coumadin is more expensive and our co-pay is still rising, but until I'm comfortable with warfarin I'll pay for the 'good stuff'.
I have no problem with other generics and take them on a regular basis, but not that ONE.

I started out with Coumadin. My PCP's employee who runs the Coaguchek tests insisted on my sticking to Coumadin. But when insurance increased the co-pay for Coumadin, I switched to warfarin.
I haven't noticed any difference, other than $aving$.

Prescription written for coumadin - but Dr didn't check "Do not substitute" so I get Barr warfarin.

Duhhh

Duhhh

I read the poll as pertaining to all Rx's not just mine. :eek: I've been on Coumadin 100% of the time.

That is correct. In a national survey, what percentage of prescriptions (By volume not by $$) were filled for each.

Oops,

Brain fart happened. I thought the poll was regarding how many prescriptions actually had the word "Coumadin" on them vs warfarin. In re-reading, obvisously it asks how many prescriptions were FILLED with Coumadin vs warfarin. I thought I could read but........

So, my poll vote is wrong. DUH. Since I can't vote again on the poll, I will simply say here that I would guess 70-79% Coumadin.

The only choice that got no votes was the correct one. In the US only 29% of the people take the brand name Coumadin. This fell by 14% last year. 71% of the market goes to the various generic warfarin manufacturers. This was up 12% last year. So only about 1 in four people are taking the brand. In 1997 it was 100% branded Coumadin. Coumadin was the 59th most prescribed branded drug. Warfarin was the 19th most prescribed generic. So if it caused even 1 extra lab test for all of the people who switched since 1997 it would be a scandal of immense proportions. A few people had some problems but statistically speaking making the switch from brand to generic has caused no significant changes in either the INR or the number of times people had to go to the lab.

allodwick said:
The only choice that got no votes was the correct one. In the US only 29% of the people take the brand name Coumadin. This fell by 14% last year. 71% of the market goes to the various generic warfarin manufacturers. This was up 12% last year. So only about 1 in four people are taking the brand. In 1997 it was 100% branded Coumadin. Coumadin was the 59th most prescribed branded drug. Warfarin was the 19th most prescribed generic. So if it caused even 1 extra lab test for all of the people who switched since 1997 it would be a scandal of immense proportions. A few people had some problems but statistically speaking making the switch from brand to generic has caused no significant changes in either the INR or the number of times people had to go to the lab.

Sure wish my card wasn't so dead-set against generic. My wallet would do much better on the generic.

Cost?

Cost?

What is the cost difference? My warfarin is $18.39....a month..Insurance pays full coverage.. :) Another question for Al .Had to call my clinical nurse for 6 month refills. she asked if I wanted a 90 day supply. I said, no , but, now I had wished I had said yes. They run out quickly. :p No big deal, because I am in town 3 days a week..Eckerd's.. but am wondering if they would stay fresh? 90 in a bottle...Bonnie

allodwick said:

Thanks for that interesting tidbit

I am popping 18mg daily of generic, Canadian-made rat poison at 2.9 INR

What's the story on dosage - of course it varies

How much are the people out there popping?

Toronto,
The average dose is about 5 mg per day. I have one person taking 25 mg/day and one on 15 right now. The biggest factor is the variant you inherited of the enzyme that metabolizes warfarin. I know of one person in a town near here who took 100 mg per day. The largest dose ever reliably reported was 660 mg/day.

Karlynn,
Your doctor probably thinks that 99% of the people are on Coumadin. When you consider that 71% of the people in the US take generic and that Canada, England, and Israel (that I know of) only use generic in their National Health Service plans, then it it is likely that only about 1 in 5 people in the world takes the brand Coumadin.

Latest posts

Back