What is the percentage of BAVD and anuerysms?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron

Hello Everyone,

I am curious...

What is the percentage of people with BAVD that develop anuerysms?

I read 50% in one place and 20% in another....

Ron

I don't know any of the percentages, but I had BAV, and an aneurysm. The aneurysm is what forced the surgery, actually, as it was up to 5.4cm from 4.5cm the year before.

I was found to have a 4.6 aneurysm through a CT before I had AV replacement. My aortic valve was not found to be bi-cusp until I was opened up. The surgeon said I was born that way. I have been told aneurysms with people who have BAV are VERY common.

I think the first part of your question is the real stumper: "What is the percentage of BAVD?" I've heard crude numbers like "1-2% of the population" tossed around, but I think it's pretty clear that nobody knows. Heck, nobody knew that jklump was a BAVer until he got OHS -- and only a small % of the whole population gets OHS. So it seems that a sizable share of BAVers go undiagnosed, either for a long time or forever. (The ones that get killed by a bus, or die of cancer, are especially likely to go undiagnosed forever.)

So I think you'd have a better chance of getting an answer if you re-phrased the question, like "What % of aneurysm patients have BAVs?" And a related question (also answerable) is "What % of aneurysm patients have BAVs that need replacement?"

The good news is that the data to answer both of those questions already exists. The bad news is that I don't know the answers! ;)

I have a little info for you... I have completed a lot of study regarding the heart and have spoken to many cardio's. Apartantly when we are in the womb there is a certain chromosome that is responsible for making the aorta valve and it also responsible for the acsending aorta. If this chromosome is deformed , a BAV is formed and in most cases at around the age of 30+ you will develop an anurysum in ascending aorta because this section of aorta is also deformed due to this chromosome....
The gurus know the certain chromosome that does this....
Hope this helps
Dave

I think the first part of your question is the real stumper: "What is the percentage of BAVD?" I've heard crude numbers like "1-2% of the population" tossed around, but I think it's pretty clear that nobody knows. Heck, nobody knew that jklump was a BAVer until he got OHS -- and only a small % of the whole population gets OHS. So it seems that a sizable share of BAVers go undiagnosed, either for a long time or forever. (The ones that get killed by a bus, or die of cancer, are especially likely to go undiagnosed forever.)

So I think you'd have a better chance of getting an answer if you re-phrased the question, like "What % of aneurysm patients have BAVs?" And a related question (also answerable) is "What % of aneurysm patients have BAVs that need replacement?"

The good news is that the data to answer both of those questions already exists. The bad news is that I don't know the answers! ;)

Ron's Question ("What is the percentage of people with BAVD that develop anuerysms?") is clearly stated and to the point. Paraphrasing, he wants to know 'if one has BAV, what is the likelihood that he may also have an aneurysm'. He Did NOT ask what percentage of the population has BAV.

Asking what percentage of patients with aneurysms have BAV inverts the variables and has NO relevance to the stated question.

Al, the problem is that it's impossible to answer the stated question without knowing how many people with BAVD DO NOT develop anuerysms! Sorry, but that's how percentages work. I've counted 12000 black geese, but I have no idea how many white geese there are, and you want me to tell you what percentage of geese are black? Can't be done, sorry. Think it through.

People with aneurysms that need medical intervention get counted. Those without do not. Similarly, people with BAVs that need medical intervention get counted. Those without do not.

Somebody should be able to estimate the ABSOLUTE NUMBER of people with BAVD that develop anuerysms (that get surgically repaired), e.g. per annum. But all the fractional or percentage or risk or odds answers depend on quantifying the total, including the "silent" BAV cases, because that's the denominator of the fraction.

If you see a way around that simple math/science problem, please share.

Here's another variation on Ron's question that should be answerable:
""What is the percentage of people with BAVD who need AVR that develop anuerysms that need repair (or grafts, etc.)?"

And a related question would deal with the frequency of BAVers who get the "David" valve-sparing procedure, because their BAV does NOT require replacement.

Me, I find all these questions interesting, but I'm most interested in the ones that might be answered sometime soon.

Last edited:
Back