What are typical doses of Coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illinois Al

I am seeing my PCP for INR monitoring. He has me taking 7.5 mg on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and 5 mg on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. My prescription is for 5 mg. tablets so on the days he wants me to take 7.5 mg I split a tablet and take one and a half.

The first two weeks I was home he had me come to the office for an INR test once a week, the last time he told me I only need to come in every two weeks now.

Since I am a "newbie," (my OHS was only about three weeks ago on August 8), I have no idea if this is a typical regimen for taking Coumadin or not. In one of the threads I read a daily dose of 2 mg of Coumadin was mentioned.

I would appreciate any feedback on this typical doses of Coumadin.

Thanks.

I doubt that there is a "typical dose" of Coumadin/Warfarin. Variables such as age, exercise, metabolism, life style, other drugs, etc, etc all will affect dosage. It has been said that "it takes what it takes". With some it is very little and with others it will be more than a little. When I was young I took about 70mg/wk. Now I take about half of that. After a time, they will get you in an INR range that will hold for a time. You will have episodes that require dosing changes and you will not know why. When changes are indicated, make sure your PCP makes "minor adjustments" in order to not "yo-yo" your INR.

I would strongly encourage the use of a "pill box" to avoid forgeting or doubling up the drug.

I had surgery on July 29th and still working on that INR, getting there, but I'm currently taking 9.5 mg a day and getting checked once a week. I was also thinking this was a high dosage, but I guess will get there one day. Take care.
Lise

There is no "one size fits all" with Coumadin. The correct dose is that which keeps you in your prescribed range.

I was taking the same dose as you are now, but for some reason, it's not enough and I'm now up to 7.5mg 6 days a week and 5mg 1.

i just got increased to 10mg a day. i thought that was high, but i guess not either.''

oh well, newly recovering... july 11

Aja

Coumadin Dosing is highly individualized, depending on Metabolism (fast or slow), activity levels, and to a lesser degree, diet (and vitamin K).

Note that Most (good) anticoagulation managers work on a Weekly Dose Basis, making SMALL adjustments as needed.

New Studies confirm that it is easier to maintain a Stable INR WITH a consistent level of Vitamin K in the diet than to try to eliminate Vitamin K. By taking a consist amount (i.e. eat something with vitamin K in it every day...don't get obcessed about measuring or calculating daily intake), a SMALL Variation is just that, a SMALL variation.

If you try to refrain from eating any Vitamin K and (inadvertently) consume something with Vitamin K in it,
that represents a LARGE change and will have a greater effect on INR.

As the saying goes, "Dose the Diet, Don't Diet the Dose".

'AL Capshaw'

Wow, this a great forum, what a fantastic source of information from people who know because they've been there (and are still there.)

Thanks to everybody for the quick and informative replies.

As for my 2 bits worth (as if its worth anything) ..............eat what you want and do what you want and take the recommended dosage of Coumadin needed to keep you in range.
Took me 6 months to figure this out...duh. I'm such a bonehead.

Al,
Also be aware that medications can have an impact on your INR.
If at some point you needed to take an anti-biotic, it very well could impact your INR.
As another example I stopped taking Nexium several months ago.
I had to increase my dosage from 22.5mg per week to 27.5mg per week.
For anti-biotics I think most of us notice an increase in our INR.
I found out the hard way some years back that a big change in activity level had a huge impact on my INR.
As you continue to heal and get more active, you may need some minor adjustments as well.
Rich

Latest posts

Back