Weird side effect of surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOwl

The other day I was (for reasons I can't really recall) poking the side of my right leg above my knee, and I noticed that it made a muscle in my chest (above my left breast) twitch.

Highly amused, I showed it to my husband, who thought it was hilarious. I also noticed that when I pushed the vacuum cleaner the other day (it's ok; I'm 3 months post) I felt a pull in my chest in the same area. Since I'm right handed, I figure that some kind of nerve connection has cross-wired or something as an artifact of the OHS.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Mind you, it's the second time I've had my chest cracked and then had to go through the nerve-regeneration/healing process, so who knows what's going on. Otherwise my recovery's been spectacular.

I just found it odd, and mildly entertaining.

Just a guess....

Just a guess....

...I'm finding this thread entertaining too, by the way. I'm assumming you're poking the inside of your right leg with your left hand? That would most certainly engage your pectoral muscles. Next time you do it, place your right hand lightly over your chest and see if you feel your chest muscles tighten.

Actually it's the outer right side of my right leg with my right hand. Anybody watching can see my left pectoral muscle move in response.

Fortunately, not many folks are probably interested in watching a 60ish old bat's boobs to see if they're twitching, so I probably don't have to worry about this happening in public.

There are now OHS survivor, 60'ish old bats around the world poking the outside of their right leg to see if their boob twitches. OMG, what a group we are!!! :D

Well it's funny, but all last week my right knee was bothering me, twitching, actually, and simultaneously I was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing since I hadn't seen you on the forum much.

Okay, I'm joking about the twitching part, but I am glad to see you posting since we love to hear about "spectacular" healing as well as the problems or, as it were, peculiarities of recovery!

Several years ago (long before surgery), I had an annoying twitch on my upper left thigh. You could see it. I had a Romanian doctor at the time. I was in for other things (laundry list kind of appointment) and asked her about it. She had me open my mouth and drop my jaw in a relaxed way. Then she thumped on my cheek. "you are calcium deficient" she pronounced. :confused: But, I started up on some supplements and low and behold the problem went away. When I'm stressed, drinking too much caffeine (which robs my body of calcium anyway) or otherwise in need of calcium my spot will twitch and I'll know that I'm low on calcium.

Maybe you should try some calcium supplements (with doctor's okay, of course) and see if the incident goes away. I know, you think it's related and it might be. But it does sound a teensy far fetched!!! ;):)

Good to hear from you.

Marguerite

There are now OHS survivor, 60'ish old bats around the world poking the outside of their right leg to see if their boob twitches. OMG, what a group we are!!! :D

I cant wait to try this...I'm so glad you guys are here to entertain me since we are in summer reruns on TV.:D

This is why I love you guys; you're all nuts and all hi-larious.

Marguerite, if I take any more calcium I'll turn into Tufa. (You probably have to be from around Mono Lake to get that. You can look it up when you're not trying to make your boob twitch.)

I have indeed missed you folks, but still won't be hanging around much once the summer quarter starts on 13 July and they expect me to teach, since I'm feelin' so spunky.

it's normal. you are contracting the pectoral muscles when you push against your right leg with your right hand. The action of this muscle is to bring your arm across the body. The pectoral muscle lies directly beneath the breast.

Don't worry, and please don't start self medicating for this normal "condition".

Yep, I'm watching my left boob as I read this! Nobody else watches them much these days!

I'm truly glad everyone's having so much fun with this. Thanks for the structural info, BackDoc--but with my med load these days it's unlikely that I would medicate for anything nearly this entertaining.

People would drop to the floor laughing were I to supply images. Don't want to be responsible for any new hospitalizations.

All this would be hi-frakkin-larious if it weren't so bloody uncomfortable; it happens when I use my right arm to hoover the floor, and my left arm now makes my right boob twitch in certain positions, so it's taking some time to get used to. (And yes I know the old joke about "Doc it hurts when I do this. . . So don't do that." I have dogs. The floor must be hoovered!)

Not that I'm complainin', y'know. Better something amusing than something really painful, and better a few twitches than just sittin' around hurtin'.

All this would be hi-frakkin-larious if it weren't so bloody uncomfortable; it happens when I use my right arm to hoover the floor, and my left arm now makes my right boob twitch in certain positions, so it's taking some time to get used to. (And yes I know the old joke about "Doc it hurts when I do this. . . So don't do that." I have dogs. The floor must be hoovered!)

Not that I'm complainin', y'know. Better something amusing than something really painful, and better a few twitches than just sittin' around hurtin'.
It could be that since you are only 3 months post op, your body just over-
reacts to certain stimuli for awhile. I know that for atleast 4 months post
I was having all kinds of abnormalities...I couldn't sit with my head held
up for over an hour without my neck/head and shoulders going numb.
I used to have to turn my head to the side every so often. After awhile
it just stopped. This is probably what will happen with you,as I have also
read of many others here having similar weird occurrences that just stopped on their own.
So,Probably, it is a normal condition,but your's is just overreacting right now..that would
be my guess anyway.
Meanwhile ask someone else to vaccuum..I have the fluffiest cat,I can
relate to the animal hair.
--Dina

Trouble is, Dina, I've got energy to spare, and do housework to augment the rehab. Plus there ain't nobody around to do it, since Tennis Boy is out running a tournament and then starts teaching again (as do I) on Monday.

That last bit ought to put the kaibosh on the vacuum cleaner, though. I'll be havin' so much fun rasslin 20-somethings that I won't have time to clean house. And I can always use the twitch as a parlor trick if my classes get boring.

People would drop to the floor laughing were I to supply images.

*takes a break from literally LOL to try to type*

Ya know, if others are laughing as hard as I am right now, thanks, in part to comments I've quoted below, I think we are well past the "have already dropped to the floor laughing" stage ... and are about ready to move into the "uncontrollable laughter for hours on end" stage. :)

LOL!

Luckily, I'm NOT one of them.....

I'm thinkin' "America's Got Talent"!:D

YES ... go for it! :)

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Let freedom ring" ... Martina McBride ... 'Independence Day'

Bigowl,luv your thread and although it must be annoying,
seriously ive got stuff going on with my arms and legs
since i returned to work and honestly just got feeling back
in my left boob,since surgery in Jan,but i havent paid much
attention to twitching there.I surely will be more attentive now
reading your post,but i have enough and hope not to find out
this would be for me,but anything can happen.;)
Take care and God Bless,your so cute on your thread
upon describing your symptoms:p:)

Latest posts

Back