Walking in Hot, Humid Weather

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braveheart

I am about three months post op. One of the instructions that I received when I was being discharged from the hospital, was that I was not to exercise outdoors, if the temperature was over 80 degrees.

Anyhow, I get my exercise in rehab, speedwalking in Sam's and Costco, and walking back and forth in my local mall. Since I live in Florida, the temperature can still hit 90ish, and humid, so I do not attempt to walk outdoors.

My mailbox is about 1/2 block from my house. What I am finding is that simply getting the mail will leave me huffing and puffing. I have no problem at all, when I am in air conditioning.

Anyone else have that experience? How long did it take before you could tolerate the hot, humid weather?

I could never tolerate the heat and humidity. I had SVT as long as I can remember and the heat really made it worse. I did have an ablation but the heat still bothers me. I walk on my treadmill at home so I can control the climate.

Heading to FL soon. I still am in Ohio for my rehab. I have been walking in the cool fall weather here. I do the rehab inside....but walk at least one other time per day outside.
I am hoping the cool weather will be in Northeast FL when I arrive in a few weeks. I have enjoyed walking on the beach in the past....but fear the heat and humidity will prohibit it this year. I was out in the sun here in Ohio a few times and it really did bother me.

South Carolina is the definition of heat and humidity in the summer, just ask SuperBob ... I lived in Melbourne Beach, FL for several years so I know what you are talking about ... at three months you have a lot of healing and recovery still ahead but there is no doubt that heat and humidity make a big difference....

This is an interesting discussion...first I've read about the post-op requirement to avoid extreme heat and humidity.

Jim

Jim ... I was not told to avoid it, can't here ... and this is the first time I have heard this as well ... but three months post op I can see where the H and H could still be an issue ... I had no limits put on me except lifting when I first got out...

During the torrid summer, I walk Superdawg in the relative "cool" of the morning and late at night (still often humid here in the SC tropics). In Virginia, I was walking her just a few months after surgery -- after enough time passed that she wouldn't be tearing my sternum apart straining on the leash to chase a squirrel or a cat. :D

Might ask your cardiac rehab nurses and/or your doctor about the huffing and puffing just walking out to get the mail. If you are doing fine in indoor exercise, it's probably just a matter of gradually getting acclimated to outdoor exertion, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

I was also told not to exercise outside if it was 80 degrees and 80% humidity outside. And it made a big difference. One day after surgery (not sure how long) it didn't seem hot because it was breezy in the shade I decide I was going to go out and work on the garden. I got out to the garden and it was so hot and humid out there I had to stop after about 5 minutes and go back in the shade it bothered me so bad. The humidity is the part of the two of them I found it was fine if it was hot. But not when it was humid.

grew up in Miami, spent 20 yrs in Arcadia, now live in panhandle of Florida. You cannot escape the humidity anywhere in Florida that I can find. but as you go farther south from north Fl it gets hotter and more humid. when visiting son in Sarasota, just stepping outside the house is an adventure in a sauna. Living in the country now in a scarcely populated area, post office was good enough to allow me a disability consideration and moved mailbox up from long driveway to a short walk from the front door. driveway is nearly a city block long. mail is delivered via automobile.

I have heart disease and know that extreme temps (hot or cold) are bad news, along w/stress & anger.

No one told me to avoid hot, humid weather, but I have come close to passing out (or feeling that way) walking this summer. I had heat stroke years ago and I think I never again will be able to tolerate being out in the sun, heat and humidity. But, some hot days, I feel like I just got out of the hospital. I was reluctant to admit this until you posted however. (My OHS was Christmastime, 2008).:confused:

But, some hot days, I feel like I just got out of the hospital. I was reluctant to admit this until you posted however.

Maryka- So now I am glad that I brought the issue up. Apparently, we are not the only people who do not do well in hot, humid weather.

Might ask your cardiac rehab nurses and/or your doctor about the huffing and puffing just walking out to get the mail. If you are doing fine in indoor exercise, it's probably just a matter of gradually getting acclimated to outdoor exertion, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

Superbob- Just got out of rehab this morning. They increased the intensity of my workout, and me, being a glutton for punishment, gave it my all. The nurse had to give me a towel, as I was sweating like a pig. I asked her how the heart monitor looked, and she said that I was fine.

Living on the Texas Gulf Coast, heat and humidity is practically year round. I actually have more trouble in very dry climates than very humid climates, although a happy medium is great. I had my surgery on June 30, 1998 so the July days following were around 100 degrees and very humid. For the first few weeks, my outside walking was in the evening when the temps had dropped to 90 or so. I also walked at the mall (shopped, not exercise), which was obviously easier. I didn't really notice that much difference between right after surgery and before surgery, although I can tolerate it better now.

Two heart surgeries, two recoveries and no one told me to avoid heat or cold. My first surgery was just before Christmas, in the cold Northeast. I bundled up and did my walking outside.

My second surgery was last of February and spring was in the air. I enjoyed wonderful weather for my early recovery walking. We love to cruise and my surgeon and cardio permitted us to cruise the Caribbean after both my surgeries within three months. Certainly hot and humid in the islands.

My cardio's office is fairly near our house and we often walk by/near his office each evening. Many times we have 'run into him' leaving for the day and chat for a few minutes. Some of those nights have been horribly hot and humid and he never told me to get home and into air conditioning. He is always delighted to see us exercising no matter the weather. His actual comment one hot night was: "It's so easy to find an excuse not to exercise. It's great to see both of you out walking!"

I was able, my body is conditioned to all this walking and it is fine. Obivously, if it is not fine for you, listen to your body. Listen to your personal physicians. They know you the same as my docs know me. :)

At 3 months, I really don't think that's all that abnormal.

I know for me, with lung disease and heart disease, anything over 60% humidity and I'm having problems. That's why buying an air conditioner when my other one up and died on me on the first day of a 90F heat wave, was a MUST HAVE.

I probably shouldn't post on this thread because I'm in a whole different world, but yes, it makes a big difference with heat and humidity.

I was operated on at the time when NYC was having very high humidity, I was told not to go out in the heat or humidity by the cardio team. I of course did not listen and went out a few times, each time I thought I would have to crawl home. I also have "moderate severity" COPD and emphysema, so the humidity really got to me. You are not alone.

Linda

I am about three months post op. One of the instructions that I received when I was being discharged from the hospital, was that I was not to exercise outdoors, if the temperature was over 80 degrees.

Anyhow, I get my exercise in rehab, speedwalking in Sam's and Costco, and walking back and forth in my local mall. Since I live in Florida, the temperature can still hit 90ish, and humid, so I do not attempt to walk outdoors.

My mailbox is about 1/2 block from my house. What I am finding is that simply getting the mail will leave me huffing and puffing. I have no problem at all, when I am in air conditioning.

Anyone else have that experience? How long did it take before you could tolerate the hot, humid weather?
I live 60 miles north of Miami and had surgery(AVR and repair of an aneurysm August of 2008.) Not one doctor told me to avoid walking outdoors when it was hot and humid.

Leonita and I walked early in the morning. Normally getting out the door sometime between 5:30-6 a.m. In the evenings we wouldn't walk till past 7 p.m.

My post-op recovery wasn't the easiest. I was hospitalized for 16 days but once I got home, my recovery sped up tremendously. Less than 3 weeks after getting home I was doing my usual length pre-op walks.

Leonita and I walked early in the morning. Normally getting out the door sometime between 5:30-6 a.m. In the evenings we wouldn't walk till past 7 p.m.

The earliest that I could get out to walk is about 7:30-8:00. By that time it has gotten warmer. I don't like to walk in the evenings because of the bugs.

I've been walking outside in south florida all summer. its kind of brutal. No fall yet, 90+ everyday. Forgot about the golf, yea thats been hot too

An interesting thread. Though a native southerner, I never could tolerate heat and humidity. Walking in oppressive weather made me queasy. My surgery was in the winter, so I didn't test my tolerance very soon after surgery. After nearly two years, my impression is that I tolerate HHH better, but still don't like it.
I'm sure air conditioning is part of the problem. We never get acclimated. But I wouldn't live without it here because the air quality gets so nasty.
I also think blood pressure medicine has some impact. My reasoning is that your heart speeds to move blood to the surface for cooling. If you're exercising and your heart rate is controlled, something's got to give...

As they say in the old song, "What a Difference a Day Makes". I woke up to 51 degrees, dry and windy. I decided that today was the day that I would attempt what I consider a "decent" length walk.(My usual, before surgery, was 4 1/2 miles).

Anyhow I took my CD Walkman, popped in my favorite disco recording, and off I went. I took along my heart/oxygen rate gizmo, "just in case". I wore my "winter shorts" (heavy denim) and a heavier short sleeved T shirt.

For awhile, I was not sure that I would be able to do it. The wind was causing me to pant, and a couple of times there, I was worried.

I ended up walking about 3 1/2 miles, which I considered quite acceptable, for starters. For the first hour back at home, I was exhausted.

But then I noticed something. I had been becoming increasingly depressed, a bit neurotic, and hypochondriacal as of late. After I rested a bit, I found that I had the most energy than I have had since the surgery. I feel more alert, and more interested in doing things. I am going to continue to walk outside as much as I can.

Latest posts

Back