Waiting Room Report: Yearly Echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeptic49

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Philadelphia, PA and Cherry Grove, Fire Is. NY
Got my latest echo report:

2008 gradients: 22/36 mmhg
2009 gradients: 16/27 mmhg

2008 AVA: 1.3 cm2
2009 AVA: 1.2 cm2

2008 ascending aorta: 4.25 cm
2009 ascending aorta: 4.5 cm

2008 aortic root: (SOV 3.5cm, STJ 2.55 cm)
2009 aortic root: 3.7 cm

2008 EF: 55%
2009 EF: 70%

The echos were done a year apart in November. Soooooo, it looks like I'm in the slow lane...relatively stable...in the waiting room for the time being. :)

Jim

I find it interesting and confusing that your Gradients went Down while your valve area (may have) decreased (or we are just seeing a variation in the accuracy of the measurement).

The Increase in EF may put you into the Fast Lane.

My understanding of EF's over 70% is that such numbers are seen in two types of people:

1-Highly Trained Athletes such as Bicyclist Lance
Armstrong

2-Heart Valve Patients whose hearts are compensating for a stenotic valve

I'm guessing you fit into category 2.
Did you look at your chamber dimensions?
Compenstation often appears as Enlargement of the Heart.

'AL Capshaw'

I find it interesting and confusing that your Gradients went Down while your valve area (may have) decreased (or we are just seeing a variation in the accuracy of the measurement).
The Increase in EF may put you into the Fast Lane.
Did you look at your chamber dimensions?
Compenstation often appears as Enlargement of the Heart.

'AL Capshaw'

The gradients: probably just a variation...the report says the actual valve area may be greater "due to technical factors."

I have mild LV enlargement (5.6 cm: range 4.2 - 5.9 for males), so the estimated EF is puzzling. I'm physically active, but I'm not a championship athelete :D

Thanks for the comments.

Jim

Jim, sounds like good news for now. Keep that waiting room friendly, and tell the others hello.lol.

4.5 cm Ascending Aorta is elective go time for some surgeons.

Maybe, Duff Man...but the ACC/AHA guidelines say:

Surgery to repair the aortic root or replace
the ascending aorta is indicated in patients with
BAV if the diameter of the aortic root or ascending
aorta is greater than 5.0 cm* or if the rate of
increase in diameter is 0.5 cm per year or more.

Thanks for your best wishes also, Tom & Danny.

Jim

Jim,
This is useful and interesting stuff. It makes me want to graph and track this kind of data with my own numbers. Was it Superbob that plots his numbers on a spreadsheet? I guess in a manner of speaking, while I'm almost 2 years post AVR, that with a tissue valve, I too am "in the waiting room". Hopefully, I'll not go in until, oh... lets say 15+ years from now. Oh well, I may as well start tracking it early. Feeling great and unaffected at the moment.

Best wishes for you and yours,
John

I recorded all my echo stats on a sheet and maybe shouldn't have....this year my aorta root is within guidelines, but for me it has enlarged--which was obvious once I plotted the numbers from the last few yrs. :(

That's really great, Jim. Another year of waiting is good. :)

Thank you for referring to the ACC/AHA guidelines too! I didn't know they existed and now I have found them. :D

Michele

Glad you are moving in the slow lane. I would be concerned about the aneurysm size. Mine measured 4.5cm on an echo, but was really 5.1cm per a CT scan. I was told that the CT scan measurements are more accurate and my surgeon advised to have surgery within 6 months of the results. I know there is no crystal ball to see into the future to know at what point it may/will rupture. Just wanted to share my situation as a possible scenario.

Back