Virtual Colonoscopy Anyone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warren
I?m so sorry to hear about your father. I know what you must be going through. Last year my only brother, who was in caumedin went to the hospital as he was having chest pains. The doctors took him out of coumedin for several days because they wanted to give him a cath. He had a massive heart attack and passed away the morning of the test while talking to the doctors. I wished I had known about this place sooner as to be informed about caumedin and what to do about it so we had been able to question the procedure..
My prayers are with you

The Odds

The Odds

Dennis S said:
I have asked this before and no one seems to know the answer. Before I even get close to deciding between bridge therapy or not---If I have no complicating factors, what are the odds that I have the beginnings of colon cancer that could be detected by a colonoscopy? I thought I had seen somewhere that the odds are something like 30,000 to 1. Does anyone have an answer as to what normal odds are? I would definitely want to know the odds that I will contract colon cancer in the first place so I can weigh them against the dangers of undergoing the colonoscopy.

Earlier in this thread Bob linked to this site, ( http://www.reutershealth.com/wellconnected/doc55.html) part of which addreses my question:

"WHO GETS COLON AND RECTAL CANCERS?

Over 135,000 people in the US are expected to be diagnosed with colon or rectal cancer in 2001. The risks over all are equal in men and women, but men have a slightly higher risk for rectal cancers and women for colon cancers.
Non-inherited colorectal cancers usually occur in people over 50. The rate of colorectal cancer in patients under 20 years is less than 1 in 100,000 per year. At age 50 about 1 in 2000 people per year will develop colorectal cancer, and after age 65, this rate increases to almost 3 in 1000.
Ethnicity and Life Style

African Americans are at higher risk of colon cancer. The highest risks are in men of African descent, particularly in the sub-Sahara region. The risk appears to be higher for colon but not rectal cancer compared to Caucasians. 7
Family History

About 25% of patients under 45 years old and 15% of everyone who develops colorectal cancer have a genetic risk. The average lifetime risk of developing colorectal cancer is approximately 2%. People who have a sibling or parent (first degree relative) who developed colorectal cancer have three times (6%) the lifetime risk of developing colorectal cancer. People who have a first degree relative who developed colorectal cancer before age 45 have an even higher, 10%, lifetime risk of developing colorectal cancer."

update on dad

update on dad

Dad is still alive. Hospice say's they don't think he will make it past Friday. He hasn't eaten anything for over two weeks. We know it's the best thing for him to pass peacefully and his 28 month nightmare will be over. Of interesting note is the fact that on Thursday morning his INR was 8.0 and they stopped his coumadin. Yesterday his INR was 6.9 and that is after a 5 day hold on his coumadin. I don't know if any of you would know what would cause his INR not to be back to normal level but I would assume that his liver is failing.

Thanks for all of your support and prayers over the last 2 years. I will keep you all updated on dad and the malpractice suit.

Sorry to hear that news

Sorry to hear that news

Our prayers are with you Warren.
Your father's ordeal certainly has been tragic.
I believe some good has come from all of this, and that is it has raised awareness for all of us.
My wife's sister died several weeks ago, again from a Coumadin issue.
I personally have raised some hell with our hospital, in order to insure patients like my self and many others get their blood test results in a timely manner.
If that would have happened to my wife's sister in Florida she might very well still be alive and well.
Hang in there Warren, this has to be a very difficult time for you.
Rich

update on dad

update on dad

Well it has been almost 4 weeks now with out any food and 6 day's without water. He is under 100 lbs. and in a semi coma state. He seems to be very peacefull. It is amazing that his lungs are still clear and his heart is pumping strong. The doctor's have been telling us for 8 day's that he probably won't make it to the next day. The body and soul are amazing. I guess his bell is going to toll on his terms.

Again, I would like to thank everybody on this site for your support over the past 28 months. You will never be able to fathom how much you have all helped me through this life changing ordeal.

I guess those old bodies are used to living. My m/i/l just went through the same thing with a 93-year-old aunt - her heart continued to beat and she breathed days and days longer than the hospice people anticipated. But like your dad, she was very peaceful; and at the end, just slipped away.

You and your dad have really been through it. I'm sure he's at peace now, and his passing will come quietly. You're a good son, Warren. Bless you and your family.

Latest posts

Back