valve for runners?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Hi everyone. I am a 40 year old, very active, long distance runner trying to decide between a mechanical or biological aortic valve. If I wasn't a runner the decision would be simple, pig valve. However, I really want to go back to running after surgery and I am afraid that I'll blow out a pig valve very quickly. Does anyone have any advice regarding a valve for runners? Is there anyone out there that is an active long distance runner with a biological valve?
Thanks so much!

Hi check out the post in the active members forum http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22
I'm not sure what you mean by you would blow out your pig valve very quickly, As long as you have recoverred enough to start running ect, the amount of running /excercise you do doesn't play any role in how long a valve will last. Now if you are talking about do TOO much before you are healed you COULD cause problems with any valve that is sewn in, but even THAT is very rare and usually a priblem along the suture line and not the valve itself.

Whatever you choose, be sure it has a green fluorescent sewing ring so that it will help increase your running times. :D Sorry, just had to throw a joke in. Been a bad day.

Take a look in the active lifestyles forum. We have runners with all types of valves. Running is not a problem with any of them. ;)

As a long distance runner myself, I have to say that running is not a good reason to base your valve choice on. Either type shold give you excellent results. But some suggestions:
1-stay in shape the best you can right up to surgery...it will help you on the ohter side of the mountain!
2-get back in shape as soon as you are comfortable after surgery...
3-it will take awhile to get back in shape, peaks and valleys as you recover
4-check out cardiacathletes.org for a group of runners who have all sorts of heart issues.

thanks!

thanks!

Wow, thanks everyone for your input! I can't tell you how much that means to me but then again all of you have been here so you already know. I meet with my doctors one last time today and go in for surgery on Monday. The valve choice is certainly a tough one but I feel much more educated thanks to all of your help.

Hi everyone. I am a 40 year old, very active, long distance runner trying to decide between a mechanical or biological aortic valve. If I wasn't a runner the decision would be simple, pig valve. However, I really want to go back to running after surgery and I am afraid that I'll blow out a pig valve very quickly. Does anyone have any advice regarding a valve for runners? Is there anyone out there that is an active long distance runner with a biological valve?
Thanks so much!

what valve and any other issues ? What is wrong with your current ?

I don't think "blowing out a pig valve" (or for that matter, a cow valve) should be any real concern. Never heard of that happening. As Tom Price suggests, I would base the decision about valve type on considerations other than running. The pros and cons of mechanical and tissue are laid out very well in "stickies" on this forum, and plenty of folks would be glad to weigh in.

I was a runner long ago (when my murmur was being checked by cardiologists but long before my VR; I am a hiker now in my senior years), so I wish you well with resuming that, no matter what your choice of valve type may wind up being. All best....

Dude,
Your 40 and active? Go Mechanical. Believe me you do not want to have 2 surgeries or more. I bike, hike, ski and surf. After looking at the choices I had to make I picked the On-X valve. Last Sunday, 5 days after surgery I walked two miles. I never plan on getting my chest cut open again. PM me if you have any other questions.

Going mechanical

Going mechanical

Thanks again everyone for weighing in. I don't feel alone in this anymore and that's a GREAT feeling! I had pre op today for surgery (scheduled for Monday morning) to replace my bicuspid aortic valve (no other issues). After questioning my surgery team about which valve I should go with I decided to go mechanical. I am not thrilled about Coumadin but I decided that I don't want to have surgery again (my grandpa just passed away at 102). I am just glad that we get to ponder mechanical vs biological instead of pine vs oak 6 feet underground.
It sounds like this is going to hurt a bit. I have received some presurgery tips (thanksTom Price). If anyone has more offerings please let me know.
Thanks again everyone! I'll keep ya'll posted.

Hi Tom,
I just had AVR surgery on Nov 20. When I was coming out of the anesthesia I thanked God many times that my surgeon had recommended a mechanical valve for me. I'm a bit older than you, but the clincher was when he said if I got a tissue valve, I'd likely face several more surgeries.

I had back surgery before for a herniated disc almost 20 years ago, and it was a romp in the park compared to OHS. You just don't want to have OHS again if you don't have to. I don't want to scare you; it wasn't pain that made it difficult (I had a mini thoracotamy, about a 3 inch incision, which I'm sure is less painful than a full sternotomy), but it's a lot for your body to go through.

It's really difficult to pin it down and put it into words just what made it difficult. My doctors were great and the hospital experience was as good or better than could be expected, but it's still a very a big thing. Now I know what people mean here when they say talk about being on "the other side of the mountain" after surgery.

I don't doubt that you will do fine with your surgery and recover well. I did have some complications and I'm just starting to feel good. Chances are you'll feel better a whole lot sooner. The Coumadin has been no big deal for me at all despite a slight bump in the road with it initially.

I wish you all the best with your surgery and recovery!
Luana

Just bare (?) in mind that there are no guarantees, no matter what valve you choose, that it won't have to be replaced, but mechanical does offer the best chances of never needing another operation. Once around is enough on this crazy train. Ideally, none at all would be better, but that's not realistic.

agree with ross,theres no guarentee whichever you pick,but cert the mech would seem to last longer,its the age old queston which one? the only thing i will say is its your choice,its all well and good people saying pick this or that but dont be to swayed by there personnel pick,it is your choice,look into everthing talk to the experts read whats said on here,then go for it,which ever you choose will be better than the one u got now,

Dude,
Your 40 and active? Go Mechanical. Believe me you do not want to have 2 surgeries or more. I bike, hike, ski and surf. After looking at the choices I had to make I picked the On-X valve. Last Sunday, 5 days after surgery I walked two miles. I never plan on getting my chest cut open again. PM me if you have any other questions.

Take it easy, James. I was feeling great shortly after I had the On-x put in, and I ended up with a large amount of swelling just under the incision site. I got a little crazy with the walking.

I've only known of a half dozen marathoners with valves-5 aortic, one mitral. All had St judes mechanical, except one recent aortic who went with On-x. I personally don't know of any who had tissue valves. I'm 83 and do 3 miles in 40 minutes on the treadmill 3 times a week.
Thank you St. Jude!

Tom, I was in similar situation to you, only I was older (58) when I had my AVR. But I wanted something that would not impair my physical capabilities, or at least would degrade my workouts to a minimal degree. I'm more a bicyclist than a runner, but I do a lot of cardio in the gym, including treadmill, rower, elliptical, and stationary bicycle. On the weekends and after work when the weather is nice I hit the local bike trails for a good cardio workout. I wear a heart rate monitor when cycling, to track one workout to the next, and to make sure I'm not goofing off or pushing too hard. My primary symptoms prior to AVR were chest pain (and a lot of it). Immediately prior to AVR the Cardiologist put me on a "couch potato" regimen (i.e., no workouts at all - he was afraid working out would kill me). That was like death to me. My primary reason for choosing mechanical vs biological was to avoid the re-operation that would be inevitable with a biological, but I can understand how someone who has to have the surgery would consider it a hard choice. I went through the same quandary.

The surgery just about killed me. Not sure what it was, as I was in good shape going in to it. The 20 lbs or so of IV fluid they loaded into me sure didn't help, but I think beyond that just the stress of the operation and the inflammation to the heart and surrounding area has a lot to do with it. I ran into some complications following surgery. The anesthetic shut down my intestines so food wasn't being processed. After that problem was resolved I had "heart pauses" or "heart block", and they had to move me to intensive care. The next day they implanted a pacemaker to prevent the heart block. I was in the hospital for nine days. I was back at work, and back in the gym for very easy workouts three weeks after surgery. The first few workouts were more psychological than physical. The first workout just about brought tears to my eyes, as I viewed that as the turning point on the road to recovery. I was back on my bicycle within 6 - 8 weeks of surgery, and back to about 75% functionality within 3 - 4 months. Getting that last 25% of physical conditioning; i.e., back to at or near 100% of pre-op physical condition, took about a year.

But I kept at it with regular workouts in the gym that (typically) consist of about half an hour on the weight machines, followed by 15 minutes on the stationary rowing machine, 15 minutes jogging on the treadmill, and 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. When I'm on my bicycle, a typical ride is around 18 miles in about an hour and 10 minutes. I generally keep the heart rate in the 140 to 160 range, and have had it in the 170's many times on the hills. The On-X mechanical valve functions superbly at all heart rates, and I have had no problems with it at all. A nice side benefit is that I no longer have any chest pain at all.

That's a quick and dirty of my experience. Your experience may be different. But if I had to do it over again, I would do it the same, because I'm very satisfied with the On-X valve, and I sure would not want to go back on the cutting board again.

Best of luck, Dan

I'm sure the mechanical will suit you just fine!:) Marty, it's funny, but all the valvers I know have tissue valves! Must be the circles we each travel in! Anyway, as often stated here, the only bad choice for a valve is to do nothing!

I'm sure the mechanical will suit you just fine!:) Marty, it's funny, but all the valvers I know have tissue valves! Must be the circles we each travel in! Anyway, as often stated here, the only bad choice for a valve is to do nothing!

I think valve choice depends a lot on the local surgeons. I know I was told a tissue valve would not be good for me and I took their advice. I think tissue valves are much improved now and it might be a more difficult decision.

Hi Tom,
I'm with James' response...I am a cyclist and keep fit, and at my age I needed a valve that would last decades. I suppose there are are no guarantees about anything, but the stats indicate a mechanical valve lasts a long time. It also depends on what your doctor recommends and sees at the time of your surgery. Just be careful with keeping your INR readings within range. All the best,
Allan

I was an ideal candidate for the ross procedure and my surgeon did recommend ross over tissue because of my active lifestyle. No regrets.
Marty, meet a tissue marathoner.

Back