Update!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spookygal

Hi all!-

Hope everyone’s doing well. Last time I was here I mentioned I was getting put on a new med cocktail of losartan & metoprolol - all good on that front! Happy for a little extra protection 😊

Some other updates:

Today I got my repeats scans, a CTA.

My cardiologist just called me and when I answered he opened with “I’m not impressed!” 😂 basically my dilation in my aorta is the same as last time (January 2024) at 4.1cm. He mentioned though, I’m kinda tall at 5’9 and it could of always been this way and basically he wants me to come in in a year for a follow up - he also said if I was losing sleep over it, I could come in 6 months to check for stability but he doesn’t suggest it bc the excess radiation. He said all other parts of my heart look just fine and I am not anywhere near a surgical consult. He said stop worrying and just live your life!! But don’t dead lift 400lb or go on roller coasters, haha.

Reminder, I got this re-scan because the first cardiac PA I went to told me I was ready for surgery consult. When I first got my scans in 2022 initially after finding out about my BAV, my aorta was at a 3.6cm Then went I got my next scan in January it was at 4.1cm. So this new cardiologist wanted to see what was up because he thought that was a weird jump. But alas, he feels good.

I’ve never had the same test one for checking this - first time was a MRA, next was a CT, this time was a gated coronary CTA. all different facilities. it’s really hard to tell what is right or now but my current cardiologist is confident.

I’m feeling good! But also a little unfinished feeling?

What’s everyone think? It’s really easy for me to go down a rabbit hole and get sucked into this so I’m trying to just trust the professionals here and take a deep breath!

Last edited:
its all finished when the funeral happens ... before for you. So feeling unfinished is good IMO

It’s really easy for me to go down a rabbit hole and get sucked into this
indeed, that's common
so I’m trying to just trust the professionals here and take a deep breath!

best response!

Unless there is some overwhelming bit of evidence or actual untied thread that comes to mind (in which case you should ask it directly) then that's what you should do.

Its like when someone says to me "my computer has this problem but only occasionally" ... I always say "bring it to me when it has that problem all the time, then I stand a chance of finding and fixing the issue.

Human bodies are more complicated than computers. So even more so. I'd say that two things are at work:
  1. you are more aware of things and so notice things (which may have always been there)
  2. you are getting older and more new things "go wrong" and attributing them to the wrong thing is common
be vigilant, but not "hyper vigilant"

Best Wishes

Sookygal,

Perhaps your next scan will really tell the tale. 4.1 is not typically anywhere near the danger zone which seems to be at or greater than 5.0. And it seems highly likely that you are presently at 4.1 since you have the 2nd test to confirm.

If you experience any growth in the size over time and your valve requires surgery at some point, then they will likely address the aneurysm at the same time.

Being in the waiting room can wear on you - especially early on. However, modern medicine has all of this pretty well figured out and has proven remedies with very high success rates. IMO, the biggest risk is when a valve and/or aneurysm goes undetected.

Personal Point of View: The single most important things with respect to AVD and AAA is to:

1) find a competent Cardiologist/Clinic that seems to care about you (as opposed to being indifferent or blasé) to help monitor the condition.

2) Take the time and effort to educate yourself about the conditions and, especially, the various metrics of the test results. With that knowledge, much of the anxiety will likely diminish - especially when in the mild to moderate stages.

Here is a chart that gauges the risk according to height from this article - https://www.annalscts.com/article/view/17023/html

1711116870191.jpeg

HTH

Sookygal,

Perhaps your next scan will really tell the tale. 4.1 is not typically anywhere near the danger zone which seems to be at or greater than 5.0. And it seems highly likely that you are presently at 4.1 since you have the 2nd test to confirm.

If you experience any growth in the size over time and your valve requires surgery at some point, then they will likely address the aneurysm at the same time.

Being in the waiting room can wear on you - especially early on. However, modern medicine has all of this pretty well figured out and has proven remedies with very high success rates. IMO, the biggest risk is when a valve and/or aneurysm goes undetected.

Personal Point of View: The single most important things with respect to AVD and AAA is to:

1) find a competent Cardiologist/Clinic that seems to care about you (as opposed to being indifferent or blasé) to help monitor the condition.

2) Take the time and effort to educate yourself about the conditions and, especially, the various metrics of the test results. With that knowledge, much of the anxiety will likely diminish - especially when in the mild to moderate stages.

Here is a chart that gauges the risk according to height from this article - https://www.annalscts.com/article/view/17023/html

View attachment 889997
HTH
Thanks for this! I’m 5’9 so it seems I’m in the low risk section for now which makes me happy :)

I do feel like I have a competent cardiologis:)

I’m for sure glad this was found- VERY grateful even though it’s given me some grief. I don’t think I’m going to drop dead as much anymore though. Lol. That’s a plus!

Just hope I dilate slowly over the years. Wouldn’t be able to do this without all of you guys!

That's a great update!

Not sure what your previous cardiologist was thinking in making you think that it was time for surgery at only 4.1cm, but also his terrible communication with you was troubling.

I totally agree. There are many who are competent and care about you, and there are certainly those that are indifferent or blase, for whom you are just a number. Best to fire the indifferent/incompetent ones and seek other consults until you find both competency and caring. If I had to choose, I guess I'd choose competency over caring, but have been fortunate that I've been able to find consultants who are both.

Great news.

Listen to this song by the guy in my avatar:

So chill out, nothing to worry 'bout! Sounds like yer good to go for another 40 years (or even more, "Who" knows)! Congrats.

P.S. And does this mean you can wean off your med cocktail?

Great news.

Listen to this song by the guy in my avatar:

So chill out, nothing to worry 'bout! Sounds like yer good to go for another 40 years (or even more, "Who" knows)! Congrats.

P.S. And does this mean you can wean off your med cocktail?

The Who; 1982- Oakland Coliseum. The first concert I ever attended. Amazing show!

Hi all!-

Hope everyone’s doing well. Last time I was here I mentioned I was getting put on a new med cocktail of losartan & metoprolol - all good on that front! Happy for a little extra protection 😊

Some other updates:

Today I got my repeats scans, a CTA.

My cardiologist just called me and when I answered he opened with “I’m not impressed!” 😂 basically my dilation in my aorta is the same as last time (January 2024) at 4.1cm. He mentioned though, I’m kinda tall at 5’9 and it could of always been this way and basically he wants me to come in in a year for a follow up - he also said if I was losing sleep over it, I could come in 6 months to check for stability but he doesn’t suggest it bc the excess radiation. He said all other parts of my heart look just fine and I am not anywhere near a surgical consult. He said stop worrying and just live your life!! But don’t dead lift 400lb or go on roller coasters, haha.

Reminder, I got this re-scan because the first cardiac PA I went to told me I was ready for surgery consult. When I first got my scans in 2022 initially after finding out about my BAV, my aorta was at a 3.6cm Then went I got my next scan in January it was at 4.1cm. So this new cardiologist wanted to see what was up because he thought that was a weird jump. But alas, he feels good.

I’ve never had the same test one for checking this - first time was a MRA, next was a CT, this time was a gated coronary CTA. all different facilities. it’s really hard to tell what is right or now but my current cardiologist is confident.

What’s everyone think? It’s really easy for me to go down a rabbit hole and get sucked into this so I’m trying to just trust the professionals here and take a deep breath!
My wife is 5'9" and her CT scans came back at 4.1 cm both in 2018 and 2022. Her cardio said it should be about 3.6 cm but isn't very concerned and is just going to watch it. I thought I remember being told that it doesn't typically move that fast and that he'd be concerned if it starts moving dramatically. I read on webmd that if it got to 50% of what it should be, in this case about 5.4 cm, then intervention. Her cardio also told her not to do heavy lifting.

Latest posts

Back