Update for Marcie Marine 11/03/2006

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marciemarine

Hello,

Sorry I havn't posted this sooner, between going to the hospital and caring for Steven and Joanna, the cat, the Aferican Grey, I've been busy.

However, Marcie is doing great. She was moved from ICU to the progressive care unit Friday afternoon. Her ability to walk, talk and breathe is improving steadily. She is in good spirits with only an occasional low. No word yet on when she will get home.

I can say that she was well prepared for each little happening and event. Her largest compliant right now is that she is on a liquid restriction diet of 350ml intake which means that all of her meals are very dry and hard to swallow.

Considering what she has gone through so far, I think the lousey food will be the least of her worries. Her desire to eat has lessened anyway.

Today is Saturday, We will be going in to see her soon. I will update you later.

Thank you all so much.

John Marine

PS She is at Saint Elizabeths Hospital in Utica New York. She is in room 418 Phone 315-798-8450 or Cell 774-644-5302

Great news. Please keep us updated and tell her we are all plugging for her complete BORING recovery. :)

Her tastes are going to be off for some time, that's an affect of surgery. As long as she eats something, that's all that counts.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Good to hear Marcie is doing well. It's natural food isn't very appealing. I remember having little appetite for several weeks after surgery.

I hope Marcie continues to improve and will be home soon.
Remember to take care of yourself through all this.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Hope she is back home with all of you soon.

Great to wake up on a Saturday morning and read such good news. (Certainly won't find much good news in the newspaper!) Hope her recovery continues to progress smoothly. As others have said, temporary loss of appetite is normal. Was the case even for me, a guy who has met few foods he didn't like. :D

Liquid diet

Liquid diet

Hi John,
Although I am still in the waiting room, I wanted to make a suggestion as far as diet in case you hadn't thought of it. Marcie might want to try a high protein drink or shake- they come in cans at the grocery store. Ensure or Slimfast are examples but there are others that might be tasty, sort of bland and go down easy. I drink this stuff when I am too busy to sit down and eat. They usually have flavors such as strawberry, chocolate or vanilla.
Also, try milkshakes or smoothies- try to add protein powder if you can to aid the healing process. A nice cool fruit smoothie can taste pretty good even if you don't feel so great.
When my daughter had her jaw wired, someone suggested Kentucky Fried Chicken's mashed potatoes- with or without the gravy. They are high fat to help you feel satiated and are OK when advancing to a more solid diet. Of course, "our kind" wouldn't normally go into a KFC with a good conscience otherwise!
Lastly, remember to take care of your self too! Warmly, Sara

John,

Great to hear such good news. Thanks for letting us know.

Diet restriction??? It sounds like you merely described the hospital food I remember from my surgeries.;) :D ;) However, it has been 12 years since I was an in-patient so maybe food has changed in general.:rolleyes: :)

Just make sure you have lots of Marcie's favorite foods for when she gets home and she will love you even more.

Take care and I hope you are resting as well.

Good News!
So glad that she is improving..
I couldn't eat the hospital food, so my dh brought some nice things in..
warm comfort foods will be great when she gets home!
So glad this part is behind her.. and now on to a boring recovery!

I'm glad to read that things are going well. My continued wishes for a smooth recovery.

I have an African Grey too! Or I should say that she has me.

Latest posts

Back