unsure of valve type

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Karen,
Our Ontario crowd is expanding....I live about an hour from you!

My surgeon really wanted me to go with a mechanical and hopefully avoid the prospect of a second surgery in the future which could happen with a tissue valve. My friend in town had 2 OHS for her valves within 6 years, and that was scaring me....I am a HUGE weenie, never had a surgery, never took any pills. So, now I take 3 meds; a small one for BP, a small aspirin, and a small coumadin. It becomes a habit, no big deal really....

If I can recommend one thing: try not to read and study so much that you feel overwhelmed and freaked out. I met my surgeon, liked him, and had to place my life and trust in him. He is the chief of surgery, I did okay:)

At age 39, you will most certainly need another OHS for valve replacement. You will need a minimum of two more surgeries. Three, if you've got a reactive body chemistry.

For me, the surgery is less of a fear than the concept of being at the mercy of medical professionals for medication and advice, and being put "at risk" for things like dental work, colonoscopy, and complicating other procedures that would otherwise be straightforward. I am not anyone's favorite patient.

However, I was 52. The likelihood is that I will only have to do this once more. It's an easier decision.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back