Two questions about mechanical valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tell-Tale Heart

In just over24 hours, I'll jump into the OR. I can't sleep. I keep thinking about the new mechanical valve (I currently have a tissue valve). Can anyone let me know the answers to these questions and/or their experiences?
Does anything change at airport security because of the valve?
If I use a video camera, will the ticking get picked up and recorded?
The answers are not that important, just good to know. Thanks!

I've been through airport security a few times since I received a mechanical valve, and never any problems from the valve.
I would guess no to the video camera question. Background noise easily covers up the ticking.
Best wishes on your surgery!

I've been thru airport security, before and after the use of airport security technology, and have never had the valve picked up on a security scan.

I don't use a video camera, but I doubt the ticking would be picked up. People can't hear mine even if they are standing next to me.

You got a lot out of your tissue valve.....1992-2012

Thanks for responding. Glad I can fly without additional hassle.
It just goes to show the weird things that pop into your mind when you're over-stressed and can't sleep. I'm nervous, but mostly worried because I've had a cold this week and I'm not feeling 100% strong. I called the surgeon's office as an FYI, but didn't get a return call yet. I think they'll still do surgery tomorrow, since I've had no fever, but I'd be more confident if I wasn't so congested.
Oh, well. Just the ramblings of another scared, tired, stressed person facing OHS. I think all my careful planning was for nothing. I know I'll feel differently once it's behind me. I just gotta get there.
Thanks for listening.

Thinking of you Pat. Before you know it, the surgery will be 'behind' you and you can focus on recovery! Hang in there...:thumbup:

Good luck Pat! I'll be thinking and praying for you tomorrow. Everything will be even better this time around. I look forward to hearing from you in recovery.

Tom

Good luck Pat!!! Just to let you know I almost never hear mine tick. If I lean forward or I put pressure on my chest I can hear it if it is really quiet around me. I really thought it would be the reason that I wouldnt get a mechanical valve. Now there have been times that I have gone to a really quiet place just to hear it tick.

I would add to this that the full body scans do pick up my heart valve, or at least that three of them have. It was actually pretty cool, the guy pulled me aside and asked if I could please take my necklace off. I showed him that i didn't have one, and he showed me the outline of me with a shiny metal object just off of center on my chest. I explaine that it wasn't on my chest, but in my chest, and showed him my scar. He said sorry and let me roll on through. The next two I just explained as I went through and had no problems.

You should see no changes at all with airport security. The lines will still be long and slow. The TSA people will still be rude.

Latest posts

Back