Twice sick after dental appointment...??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

Hi everyone, I'm really not sure which forum this would be but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. I have a St. Judes aortic valve that was replaced in Feb '99 due to a bi-cuspid valve. Other than geetting more tired than I used to, I have never had any sort of problem.

I went to the dentist for a regular cleaning on Monday. I take pre-med--4 huge amoxycillin (take with toast). It was an early morning appointment, but by mid-day, I had the worst headache you could imagine (at least that I could imagine as I don't get headaches often). In addition, I had an upset/queasy stomach, felt like I had a fever, was having chills and body aches. All sounds and feels like a light flu (had a shot). After work, I went home and straight to bed. It is now Wednesday and while I am much improved, I still am not back at 100%. This same thing happened when I had a dentist appointment 6 months ago. I can't remember it ever happening before.

Has anyone out there ever experienced such a thing? About all I know to do is let the dentist and my doctor know, but I can't (don't want to) deal with this every time I go to the dentist. It is sure making me not want to ever go to the dentist again. And I have 2 wisdom teeth to come out. Joy!!

Thanks for your time and any information or experience you can give me.

Susan,

Did you have anesthetic? I usually suffer from migraine type symptoms after Carbocaine shots (or they trigger migraines - doc isn't sure which). Perhaps that is what you are experiencing.

Probiotics

Probiotics

Maybe you should try probiotics. I take them every day for other reasons, but I have heard that people who have problems with antibiotics are often alright when they take probiotics. Take them enough time after the dental appointment that the antibiotic won't just kill all the probiotics.

I'm thinking it might be the amox as well. There are some antibiotics that just tear me up.

Susan:

What antibiotic did you take prior to these 2 experiences?

You might want to post this thread under the Anticoagulation Forum to get Al Lodwick's input and whether another antibiotic might work better for you before dentals.

Here's what I found at MedicineNet.com:

SIDE EFFECTS: Side effects due to amoxicillin include diarrhea, dizziness, heartburn, insomnia, nausea, itching, vomiting, confusion, abdominal pain, easy bruising, bleeding, rash and allergic reactions.

I've never had any problem with amoxi and I've taken up to 6,000-8,000 mg after a cat bite. I've had major GI problems with erythromycin and Augmentin taken for dentals, having to stay home in bed for 2 days afterward.

I take 2,000 mg amoxicillan and so far no problems. Resistance does worry me though. I have my teeth cleaned every three months and take it for each cleaning. For all I know, I've developed a resistance and it is doing me no good. Perhaps it isn't providing me the protection for which I take it?

Perhaps I should be switched to a different anti-biotic?
And then proceed to get resistant to that one as well. Sigh.....

Thanks Everyone who responded!

Thanks Everyone who responded!

Thanks to all of your responses! It was only a cleaning (both times) so no "pain management" was required (although I could have used some for my head later in the day!). I just wonder if I have maybe become allergic to amoxicillin or just too sensitive to it. I am going to check that out. I am much better now, but it's 5 days later and I am still not at 100%. Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

I can't say I've ever had as severe a reaction to an antibiotic as you describe, Susan, but I do take acidophilus tablets whenever I'm on an antibiotic. I don't know anything about other probiotics, but I do have a very experienced nurse friend who keeps her husband on probiotics to aid his digestion, so it very well could help.

You didn't eat any Peter Pan peanut butter that day, did you???

I'm allergic to Penicillan. Erythromycin rips me up (I took it one time for a cleaning and pulled over 3 times to throw up on my way to the dentist.) I now take Clindamycin and it has no adverse reaction with me.

Ask your pharmacist for his/her opinion on your reaction. I think pharmacists are much more informed on how drugs can affect people.

Amoxi used to rip up my stomach. I switched to Clindamycin, which is another approved antibiotic. There is a list.

I also agree with Adrienne about probiotics, which you can take a few hours later, and for the next few days. They will help keep the good bugs going in your system after the antibiotic has killed many of them off.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back