Travel question, once post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel

Can anyone tell me, how soon after aortic valve replacement surgery is one safe to travel a distance of 3 1/2 - 4 hour road trip? I will be asking my surgeon this also, but just wondering what everyone else has to say about their experiences. Thanks!! : )

5 days after surgery (when I was released from the hospital) I traveled 5 Hrs to get home. 3 weeks later I traveled 5 Hrs back for a check-up. The only condition was that I didn't do the driving. He still wanted a pillow on my chest, and I did too.

Can anyone tell me, how soon after aortic valve replacement surgery is one safe to travel a distance of 3 1/2 - 4 hour road trip? I will be asking my surgeon this also, but just wondering what everyone else has to say about their experiences. Thanks!! : )

Are you talking about , right after surgery to go home? Or after the initial recovery to go on vacation or to visit family

With NO complications, many patients are released to go home after 4 days. When travel is involved, some surgeons will allow the patient to remain hospitalized for a few more days before discharging. Some have been known to stay at a local hotel/motel for a few days or so before going back home, especially when traveling long distances.

Patients are advised to get up and WALK around for 5 minutes or so every hour or two on their return home,
whether via Car or Airplane to prevent Clots from forming in their legs.

'AL Capshaw'

The real issues come with travel insurance for going OS.
In Australia forget about travailing OS post VR unless it is a country that Australia has a national health insurance arrangement with, no private insurance will cover you.
If you have had heart surgery private insurance companies do not what anything to do with you.
To my knowledge the only county I can ever travel to in the future is NZ. Reciprocal health care agreement and I do not have to transit other countries.
I am lucky I have been to Europe and Japan before my heart issues.

Old Man Emu: I can't figure out what OS means. Is it supposed to be 'overseas'?
Help please.

As to travel..... Can't you privately purchase travel insurance that would cover you out of the country?
Do you mean to say that anyone with health issues cannot travel outside Australia or NZ ever?
Though we have our usual health insurance coverage we purchase in U.S., many people purchase travel policies to cover them when out of the country if their personal insurance is only for domestic coverage. People cruise and purchase medical evacuation coverage and all sorts of medical coverage.

Sorry..... didn't mean to stray from OP's question.

Op...... we've read here often of people who have been driven distances to their homes directly out of the hospital. They are usually cautioned to stop often and walk around a bit.

Others have flown home directly after discharged from the hospital. Seeing that is not your question, no more discussion about it.

Well, thanks everyone! I was referring to my taking a road trip approx. 4-5 weeks after surgery. I think it will be ok, as long as I have no complications, etc. And I will definitely stop every hour or two to walk around a bit. Thankfully, I only live approx. 10 miles from the hospital where I'll have my surgery.

Well, thanks everyone! I was referring to my taking a road trip approx. 4-5 weeks after surgery. I think it will be ok, as long as I have no complications, etc. And I will definitely stop every hour or two to walk around a bit. Thankfully, I only live approx. 10 miles from the hospital where I'll have my surgery.

It would probably be good if it was a relaxing type trip and not one where you will be doing alot of walking, ect. 4 weeks out you still can get wiped out pretty quickly. Someone else would do the driving right?

Last edited:
At 4 to 5 weeks post-op, you will Tire Easily and once your energy is gone, it is GONE.

The usual recommendation from Surgeons is NOT to drive until 6 to 8 weeks post-op, although many will OK LIMITED Daytime Driving, mostly for the purpose of getting to follow-up appointments with Doctors.

Also, at 4 to 5 weeks post-op, your Sternum is NOT fully healed (80% at 6 weeks, 100% at 12 weeks).
Most Surgeons would prefer that you NOT be struck in the chest by an exploding AirBag until your Sternum is healed. (Riding in the Back Seat is safest when traveling in vehicles equipped with Air Bags).

MOST OHS patients report / complain about how S-L-O-W their recovery proceeds with a lot of 2 steps forward and one step back kind of progress. Some (younger, more athletic, in-shape) patients, bounce back to a more active live in a few weeks but most take longer.

'AL C'

Latest posts

Back