Travel lessons

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Karlynn

Just returned from a trip to France. I was gone for 11 days. I took my INR a few days before leaving. It was 3.2, right in range. Since I usually test every 2 weeks I considered not taking my INRatio with me. I've been steadily in range for quite a while. But I thought to myself - why not take it - this is one of the reasons you have the machine silly. So I took it. (and the NTSC didn't even mention it in my carry-on)

We left on Wed the 6th. Spent the 7th and 8th in Paris, then took a train south. I tested on Sunday - fully expecting to have a slightly reduced INR because of all the walking and climbing we did. It was 6.0! Still trying to figure that one out. So I skipped a dose Sunday, took half a dose on Monday and it was 2.7 on Tuesday - and I resumed normal dosing. Friday it was 2.8.

Here's another tidbit - take 3 or 4 more strips than you think you'll actually use. I took 3 strips, thinking I'd test once. After getting the 6.0 I should have (and normally do) retested. But I only had 2 strips left. If for some rare reason I blew a test - I'd only have one more strip to retest.

My current weekly dose is 76. So, as you can see, skipping a dose really drops my INR (which I already knew). With a 6.0 - had I skipped 2 doses, I would have been well below therapeutic level. In reality, I could have skipped a dose and resumed normal dosing and not done the half dose day. So this is why I get a little nuts when I read of managers and doctors having people hold for INRs less than 5.

There were no signs I was at 6.0. I didn't attempt to control the INR by changing what I ate or drank. I was in the South of France after all and I knew that sharing a bottle of wine at dinner with 2 other people wasn't going to do anything one way or the other to the INR.

Ross : she said she usually re-tests after a way-out reading like the 6, but didn't want to use another strip.

Karlynn : where in France were you? I used to live in Bordeaux ...

Did you keep taking your rat poison 24 hours apart, in other words on US time, or did you shift your med schedule to local time?

Otherwise, I hope you had a wonderful time!

Ross said:
Are you sure the 6.0 wasn't bogus?
I'm guessing it wasn't bogus because my next INR after holding a dose and taking 1/2 dose was 2.7. I think it would have been below 2 if the 6 was bogus. Holding doses (or forgetting them) really drops my INR like a rock since I take fairly large dose. But I was concerned it was bogus, but didn't feel I should retest and leave myself with only one strip to test again in 3 or 4 days.

My daughter teaches in Lorgues and Les Arc. We were about 40 km from St. Tropez.

I took my first dose overseas at about dinner time, and then at bedtime (which is when I usually take it) every day after that.

Karlynn:

Any comments about going through security in France with an INR machine? Might be nice to set up a stick at the home monitoring website with information on traveling with a home-testing machine.

Your comment about taking more testing materials than you think you'll need is a very good idea.

Security was not an issue at O'Hare, Heathrow, DeGaul or Nice - Cote d'Azur.

No one said anything or even looked like they were a tiny bit curious. I didn't offer the letter from my cardio, nor said anything "pre-emptively". I just decided to proceed as if it was no big deal, and it wasn't even a deal.

I was even one of the ones selected at Nice-Cote d'Azur for a a pat down (I think Ross was secretly filming it.) and to have my carry-on opened and searched. Not even a half-second pause on the part of the screener.

Sounds like a great trip!

Will have to figure out my formula for "country hopping this summer". Will be out there for close to a month! Can't wait:D

Thanks for the information Karlynn; I was hoping that you'd give us an update when you returned. I'm glad to hear there were no issues with your INR monitor at check-in. That's weird though that your INR was 6.0? :eek:
Who can figure, huh? That's the main reason I am taking mine w/us on our trip because my INR still tends to be unstable; I was also planning to take X-tra test strips.

Welcome back! :)

Spike

Spike

An INR spike of 6.0 seems really odd with the exercise stuff you described. I would have expected a drop as well.

Sounds like a fun trip.

-Philip

Hi,

I travel a lot with my coaguchek xs and have quite a bit of experience
moving around warfarin-medicated. In a typical year I would go to Far
East 3-4 times(China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand), but also to Russia, Moldova, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, Lithuania, France, Spain as well
as our neighbouring countries(Denmark, Finland, Norway). I have never been
asked one question about my Coaguchek in airport-security. I do have a pacemaker too and it´s never any real problem. In some countries they check you too poorly even, just let you through, which is a bit worrying too?!

My experience otherwise is I tend to be a little lower in range then at home.
I try to eat what the locals eat to avoid an upset stomach which would
boost the INR(happened once in Portugal, mild food poisining and INR 5.1
the day after).

You tend to drink more alcohol on trips, but I´ve never seen that effecting the INR much or anything.

Obviously I watch my diet and try to eat consistently with green vegetables while travelling too(as at home), broccoli, kale, spinach etc. Sometimes I wonder if the very fresh vegetables they have in Asia for instance are more
spiked with vitamin K then here in Europe - hence the lower INR.

Any input, just ask!

Martin

Latest posts

Back