Training on schedule

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Wagner

Hi 'My Friends'
I have been out of the link for awhile, as my wife and I are finally getting settled into our new home. Still in boxes somewhat, but we love the house and property. I feel very blessed, especially in the morning with my coffee. From the dining room I am looking out at Puget Sound, and what is called Blake Island. The house sets on, close to an acre of land, and actually was a barn at one time. There is fruit trees in the back, a barn shaped shed, and two upper sun decks. The one off the dining room is quite large and you exit through french doors. (The other is off the master bedroom.) The house is pretty much heated with a wood stove. My favorite ... the hot tub!
Now for my running. My training is right on schedule for the Las Vegas marathon on January 25th. Where we moved, I'm right at sea level, so when I run, the roads go one way ... up! Needless to say, I am getting in my hill training. If I run mileage longer then 6 miles plus, I take a short drive where it is a little flatter. This week my long runs pick up considerably. Thursday I will do a long run of 12 miles. Right now around 22 miles total for the week.
I am not sure if anyone from VR lives around Las Vegas, but I would enjoy meeting you in person when I am out that way. I'll be in Vegas the 22, 23, 24, and will leave after the marathon on the 25th.

Talk to you all soon. ... Mark

Well, there you are Mark! Nice to hear from you again. Great going on your training. To paraphrase one of my favorite quotes, by Ayn Rand:
"All you have to do is look straight ahead and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it...Run.

Or to quote the oft seen T-shirt, "So much road, so little time!"

Well, Mark, I'm sure glad you've been able to manage the move and still stay on your schedule. I know what a stress that must have been, as even small adjustments knock my schedule out the window.

Keep on Truckin'!

Mark

Mark

Your new house sounds lovely...where do you get the wood for that wood stove?............Great exercise to chop it, load it and unload it...:p :p :p Good luck in Vegas........Bonnie

hi mark!
your new home sounds fantastic!
your training also sounds great. i just want to wish you a great marathon and continued strong and enjoyable runs. all the best on the 25th. please let us know how it goes.
stay well and keep up the running.
-sylvia

Thanks Les.
Steve it has been hard to stay on schedule. Some runs have been without rest periods in between, because of so much to do with the move. I know I got enough excercise moving boxes to the second floor. (Talk about hill training!)
Bonnie, we were burning alder; what the other owners left, but we just bought a pallet of pressed logs. Talk about put the heat out ... and they last longer. What I have been doing is mixing a few wet alder and maple logs in with the pressed logs. I know I'll have maple logs next year, because one's coming down next to the house. I spent the today cleaning out gutters because of that one.
Tom, this really is a great place to swim, but training for marathons is tough enough. I have a neighbor/friend whom does triathleons. That guy trains constantly, and being a teacher and cross country coach, that helps with his time schedule. A marathon is amazing but do-able with disipline. When your training for a 2 mile swim, then jump on a bike for 112 miles, then run for 26.2 miles; face it, your life is training. I am amazed at those whom accomplish such a feat, but at this point in my life I couldn't put my family through that, let alone take a chance of my wifes reaction when I told her! I certainly would most likely go broke sending flowers once a week! :)

You all take care .... Mark

Hi Mark et al

I'm a new member here and have relished the opportunity to read and discover about the many hundreds of others who have been though or are going through this heart business.
I'm interested to hear about your running experiences. I've run about 30 marathons, nearly all before I new about my bi-cuspid aortic valve, and even did a couple of those Ironman triathlons... not sure I would have if I'd known about the regurgitation (I assumed everyone felt fatigued like that!)

I'm off running (reluctantly) as it has gotten too hard with now severe regurgitation and stenosis. I'm in the public (not private) health system here in Australia, so am on a waiting list for the Ross procedure (could be 1-3 months away).

I'm glad to hear that there are those who get back running post-surgery, I'm looking forward to getting the chance to run again one day.

kind regards

Grant

PS I noticed you listed Psalm 34:4 - I was encouraged by another Psalm last week "Relieve my troubled heart and bring me out of my distress" - maybe I should send it as a plea to the surgeon or those that determine surgical lists!

Hi everyone,

It is always good to hear about other runners who are still active after their AVR.

Grant, I am in a similar position to yourself. I am a runner (fell/hill running) and I am still active. I am waiting to find out whether I am to have my aortic valve replaced soon. I am due to see the cardiologist again tomorrow and have another echo done. My heart is enlarged but they are not sure whether the valve needs replacing now as the figures they are getting back from the echo seem to go down aswell as up. The cardiologist said I can still run and swim (and race!) but at the moment I do not feel like pushing too hard. How did you find out about your heart problem? Up until recenty I did not get many symptoms. I seem to notice the symptoms more now (after being told the surgery is imminent). So far there has been no mention of what type of valve will be used. I noticed that you are going for the Ross. Have the cardiologist said what you can do with a Ross after surgery (running etc) and how long they last for? I am not sure whether I will have a choice of valves as I also use the public medical system (National Health Service).

Good luck to all those who have races in the near future.

Martin

Since both my parents were marathon runners, I've observed many of them. I could never run because of my heart. Now that it's fixed, I've thought about training for a marathon, but haven't gotten motivated. Reading these posts have given me a little bit of motivation, so maybe I'll start running soon! If I run Houston next January, can some of you join me? It's very flat, except for a couple of overpasses, and the weather is usually very mild. I only remember a few where the runners were uncomfortable, and that was because of the heat. I do remember one where it was miserably cold for the observers, but the runners were okay.

Hi Martin et al

I'll try and respond to some of the issues you raised in your last post - sorry I haven't got to it earlier, but Christmas etc is a busy time for me (as a pastor).

When I was first diagnosed in 1996, the hospital cardiologist said that my valve "shouldn't preclude me from any exercise etc.", and it really didn't for a few years. While the leak was mild and the stenosis negligible I really didn't notice much of a problem. Now I wonder whether it was actually having an effect, but I didn't notice as I put it down to the aging process or being less fit. I think if you don't feel like pushing it hard - don't! Eventually I learned to listen to what my body was saying and recognised how much more effort it was costing me to achieve results. Over the past year or so the symptoms have become more noticeable and pronounced. The hardest thing was coming to terms with the enforced reduction in activity and now, the inability to even jog (having been a runner for 0ver 25 years).

I've opted for the Ross partly becaus eof the desire to be fully active again without worrying about blood thinners etc, but partly too because of the success of the Ross with my younger brother several years ago. I understand the prognosis after the Ross is very good in terms of physical exercise, though I'm not sure I would want to do another Ironman Triathlon (11-12hours!). I would be happy to just be able to run again! Long term prospects for Ross patients are very positive, with I think 85% survival after 20 years, and most re-operations being pulmonary valve replacements (a somewhat less complicated procedure as I understand.)

In terms of the Public health system, what I had to do here was to find out which surgeons were competent in Ross and to get my cardiologist to refer me to one of them (there was a choice in Melbourne of two only!).

Hope some of this helps

Kind regards

Grant

Hi Grant,
Thanks for the reply. I have found that knowing I have a heart problem can make it more difficult to get fit again. I can associate all the aches and pains with the heart and not the extra few pounds I am carrying. Over the last few months I cut down the "effort in training" but not the amount. Even though I have trained every day, I have still put on about 7 pounds in the last two months (which is a lot for someone who is small!). The result was that the races I did over the Christmas period were slower than the previous years. My head was telling me that it was all down to the heart problem, when it probably is a mixture of the heart, getting older and the weight. I am now finding it more difficult to push hard now. I did my usual mile swim this morning and I tried to push really hard but it did not feel comfortable. My chest was a little sore when I got out. I have just had a slight cold recently which could explain that (the time for the swim was better than my average though!). I also did a run at lunch time which was only 3.5 miles. I decided to try and push it to see what time could do (give myself a fitness status check). I ended up being half a minute quicker than any of the times I did on that course last year, in fact my next quickest time was a year ago!. I must admit it did not feel that quick, especially on the hills! I thought I would have been much slower considering the extra weight etc. It looks like I will have to leave it up to the Doctors to decide when the time is right and I will also have to look out for any changes in my ability to do things etc.

In the mean time I am going to keep my racing and hard runs to a minimum as I have the same feeling that you touched on, i.e. "Eventually I learned to listen to what my body was saying and recognised how much more effort it was costing me to achieve results". Sometimes it is difficult to motivate myself when I know I will not get any quicker. I am now doing my training for enjoyment and for the odd personal test like today.

It sounds like you are looking forward to getting your Ross done so you can become active again. Next time I go for my echo etc. I am going to ask about the Ross procedure and whether it would be suitable/available for myself. I have not been told anything about surgery procedures, valves etc.

I have heard of another person who I have seen at races for the last 10 -15 years who has also had valve surgery. I have not spoken to him about it yet but the person who told me about it was sure it was valve surgery. Apparently when he had the operation (which was done before I knew him) other people wanted to have a new valve because of how fast he had become. He is still competing and regularly wins his class in races! I will have to ask him next time I see him as it has definitely not stopped his sporting activities - it would be great if it is true!

All the best

Martin

Latest posts

Back