Tooth Extraction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be having a tooth removed Thursday. Since I have an On-X mechanical, and I've had endocarditis in the past, I will take amoxicillin 1 hour before the tooth extraction.

What about antibiotics for a few days after the surgery? What are other mechanical heart valver's experience with tooth extraction?

I will be talking with my oral surgeon Monday, and with my cardiologist on Tuesday about this. Endocarditis scares me!

Thanks.
mTm

2,000mg of amoxicillin 1 hour before the procedure would be per the guidelines. I don't take antibiotics other than the standard prophylactic dosage prior to dental procedures. But, I have not had endocarditis before. I'd run the idea of taking it for a couple of days after the procedure by your cardiologist. I doubt that it would do much harm.

I will be having a tooth removed Thursday. Since I have an On-X mechanical, and I've had endocarditis in the past, I will take amoxicillin 1 hour before the tooth extraction.

What about antibiotics for a few days after the surgery? What are other mechanical heart valver's experience with tooth extraction?

I will be talking with my oral surgeon Monday, and with my cardiologist on Tuesday about this. Endocarditis scares me!

Thanks.
mTm
Hi , just for my knowledge after you came to know you had endocarditis what was the next plan of action?

My endocarditis was from Staphylococcus Epi, which the infectious disease Dr said is easy to kill. After about a week of antibiotics, my blood cultures were clean. But we kept me on various antibiotics via IV for another week. Then I did antibiotic infusions via a permanent IV line for another 4 weeks. Fortunately, I did those myself at home. Then I had 5 months of antibiotic pills. Meanwhile the cardiologist and a surgeon started to talk with me about heart surgery, because I had major damage to my mitral and aortic valves. I was also recovering strength during this time. In Sep, 2023 I had surgery; this was 10 months after the endocarditis. We could have done surgery much earlier, but I wanted to get stronger first.

Just to relate my similar experience—I had endocarditis about 5 yrs ago—strep. Have no idea how I got it. Spent 7 days in the hospital and went home with a picc line and 6 weeks of iv antibiotics. All was good. Just over a year later I had a second round of endocarditis—strep but a different strain than first time. Spent 6 days in the hospital and went home with a picc line and 4 weeks on iv antibiotics. Fortunately they found no damage to my valves. But since I had it twice cardiologist and infectious disease dr decided to keep me on antibiotics. I have taken cephalexin 2x day for 3 yrs now. This is a relative of penicillin. Since I’m allergic to penicillin I take Zyrtec for my hives. Si will probably be on this antibiotic the rest of my life. I do now use a water pic instead of flossing and use listerene before brushing.

Latest posts

Back