Too Hot To Test!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I realize that this may not be an issue for most of the country, and it may not happen with too many meters, but it happened to me just now.

We've been having 100 degree PLUS days most of the week. Today was very hot. The air conditioner in one side of the house did nothing to cool the location where I keep my meters and supplies.

I set things up for my weekly tests - my plan was to use the Coag-Sense and the CoaguChek XS for testing. The Coag-Sense, which actually FORMS a clot, is designed to heat the strip to body temperature. When I inserted a strip, it said 'Room Temp Too Hot. Consult Manual.' I moved it to a cooler room, but the temperature probably hadn't dropped when I reinserted the strip. I got the same message.

It became apparent that, although the Coag-Sense is designed to heat the strip to body temperature, it was not able to handle testing with a machine or strip that is HIGHER THAN body temperature. (Did I say that it's HOT?).

I tried the CoaguChek XS, in the 'hotter' room, and received no such error. My value - of 2.4 - was lower than I would have liked to see it, but may be correct (more greens than usual in the past week).

I'll wait until later tonight, or tomorrow morning, when things get cooler, to try to test with the Coag-Sense.

(One nice thing about the Coag-Sense is that you can open the strip and use the opened strip later, if you can't run a test now. The 12-18 (or less) hour delay between the time that I open the strip's foil pouch and the time that I take the test shouldn't be a problem for the Coag-Sense strip.

It's 104 here -- too hot to test with the Coag-Sense. (The strip makers for ALL THREE LEADING METERS say that the strips are good up to 90 degrees -- but they also say that they're stable even at higher temperatures.)

I'll know soon -- with the exception of the ProTime cuvettes, which require refrigeration, my other strips (CoaguChek XS, Inratio, Coag-Sense) are all kept in a currently very warm room.

That's a thought....maybe I can find someone else on Warfarin who would like to buy my 'spare' Coag-Sense meter.

I may just move the meter and strips to a small part of my house where a wall air conditioner reduces the temperature just a bit.

Latest posts

Back