Tissue Vs Mechanical

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has the new generation of tissue valve been around for 15 years already? Hard to say they'll only last 15 years if they haven't been tested that long yet.

It's hard to not look at some posts and think they might be a little 'mean spirited'. Surely no one would wish any valve failure, of any style valve, on anyone. Having been down that road, who would wish it on someone else??

Any valve can fail, tissue valves just have an exceptional record of being unpredictable especially in the under 50's crowd in comparison to mechanical valves. As I've stated before, I really think modern tissue valves will see 20 years plus. People that get tissue valves know this.

-Mechanical valves low chance of having reops but guaranteed chance of dealing with anti coagulation risk (which by the way gets really bad press) How many people die a year by Advil.

-Tissue valves high chance if not certain chance of reops and low chance of dealing with anti coagulation risk.

As far as the future of replacement valves, I think mechanical will eventually be the best choice for any age group, I strongly feel they will develop a valve that will not require any type of anti coagulation and minimal operation noise in the near future (post baby boomers)

Well, this thread has certainly taken an interesting turn. Even more interesting, it appears to be a crossover thread: http://www.heartvalvepatients.org/hvp/showthread.php?t=2298&page=3

Now, I'm new here and only an occasional observer at the other, so I'm curious, is this like a Cheers - Gary's Old Towne Tavern rivalry, where one site "pranks" the other every now and then?

Whatever the case, let me just say that I think it's great that Marty is doing so well. Maybe most medical professionals would advise otherwise, but as evidence has proven, it was the right decision for Marty.

I think a little caution is in order for generalizing, though. I think we all can be guilty at times of using our own good or bad experiences to make recommendations for the community at large. But every situation is different, and any one of our individual patient outcome will certainly never justify revamping established medical practice. Or at least not yet.

For even if he, and other, have happened upon universal truth, all the surgeons in the world are still stuck trying to apply lessons learned from the thousands of patients over the years, so it's hard to expect change to happen overnight.

Some surgeons are more daring, some do take a leap of faith. In those instances, I think this site, and those like it, are of the greatest benefit, to give us all reference points, so we can better understand where the knowledge stops and the hope begins.

My take on 30 years is that yes it just might be possible. But no evidence, and only for those a certain age anyway, and most likely, they will die of something else first.

Spirited tissue/mechanical discussions always make me think and hope that valve manufacturers have even more energy, so they'll keep trying to outdo each other. Win, win, for us all.

Hi,

Reports of First Eco Done foe my wife...

Impression:
a) Moderately Severe Aortic Regurgitation
b) Mild and Non Calcific Valvular Aortic Stenosis (Peak Systolic Gradient across Aortic Valve= 33mmHg
c) LV Normal in size with adequate systolic Function (LVES = 55%)
d) RV Normal in size with adequate systolic Function

Symptoms are : Short of Breath and Chest Congestion at times.
Need to know the exact state and what time we have in our hand b4 surgery.

I have consulted 3-4 cardiologist but each of them have given different opinion in terms of surgery. 2 of them suggested me to go for surgery in next 3 months and 2 others told me their is no rush and can wait for few years...I am confused and very much deppressed getting these from experts..

Is this going to happen in next 6 months Or > 1 Year

Can anyone suggest me here...I am in process of consulting to some more experts here in India.

Regards,

Manish Garg

One of my previous cardiologist said she has patients with moderate to severe AI who may never need surgery. I think what sets your wife as a candidate for surgery is that she is symptomatic (shortness of breath). If the symptoms are due to the valve then from what I understand she is at risk until surgery (after surgery I think the risks slowly fade away). If I were in your position I might do my best to figure out if her symptoms are indeed caused by the leaky valve or by something else. Also, since her valve isn't calcified, I wonder if she would be a good candidate for repair rather than replacement.

Hope that helps
Pem

One of my previous cardiologist said she has patients with moderate to severe AI who may never need surgery. I think what sets your wife as a candidate for surgery is that she is symptomatic (shortness of breath). If the symptoms are due to the valve then from what I understand she is at risk until surgery (after surgery I think the risks slowly fade away). If I were in your position I might do my best to figure out if her symptoms are indeed caused by the leaky valve or by something else. Also, since her valve isn't calcified, I wonder if she would be a good candidate for repair rather than replacement.

Hope that helps
Pem

We may never know about Manish Garg's wife. His posts were made in July 2010, the last one being on July 9.

Hi Marty

I really appreciate and respect you sharing your thoughts, research and experience. It's very interesting to read the perspective of a valve recipient in their 80"s.

WELL DONE SIR!

Well, this thread has certainly taken an interesting turn. Even more interesting, it appears to be a crossover thread: http://www.heartvalvepatients.org/hvp/showthread.php?t=2298&page=3

Now, I'm new here and only an occasional observer at the other, so I'm curious, is this like a Cheers - Gary's Old Towne Tavern rivalry, where one site "pranks" the other every now and then?

Whatever the case, let me just say that I think it's great that Marty is doing so well. Maybe most medical professionals would advise otherwise, but as evidence has proven, it was the right decision for Marty.

I think a little caution is in order for generalizing, though. I think we all can be guilty at times of using our own good or bad experiences to make recommendations for the community at large. But every situation is different, and any one of our individual patient outcome will certainly never justify revamping established medical practice. Or at least not yet.

For even if he, and other, have happened upon universal truth, all the surgeons in the world are still stuck trying to apply lessons learned from the thousands of patients over the years, so it's hard to expect change to happen overnight.

Some surgeons are more daring, some do take a leap of faith. In those instances, I think this site, and those like it, are of the greatest benefit, to give us all reference points, so we can better understand where the knowledge stops and the hope begins.

My take on 30 years is that yes it just might be possible. But no evidence, and only for those a certain age anyway, and most likely, they will die of something else first.

Spirited tissue/mechanical discussions always make me think and hope that valve manufacturers have even more energy, so they'll keep trying to outdo each other. Win, win, for us all.

For clarification, I think getting 30 years with a tissue might be too optimistic, but I wouldn't label it grossly irresponsible.

After seven years on this forum, I've come to believe the tissue vs mechanical debate is irrelevant unless you're facing replacement. I suggest that only those facing replacement engage in it. Those of us who have made their choice, stay out of it and focus on living the best life we can as survivors of valve replacement.

Hey Duffey

Re :"After seven years on this forum, I've come to believe the tissue vs mechanical debate is irrelevant unless you're facing replacement. I suggest that only those facing replacement engage in it. Those of us who have made their choice, stay out of it and focus on living the best life we can as survivors of valve replacement."

I really dig what you are putting out their! Far to often we think we are helping folks make an informed decision when in fact we turn the thread into a stomach churning debate. I know from experience, as last year I went overboard and slammed brother Neil. I still feel crappy about the comments I made. Neil stepped up, sent me a PM and since then we have been mates. Very Manly of Neil! ILU DUDE! LOL!

On the other hand, their is a time for valve recipients to step in. That is when a member requests us to share why we selected a particular valve. Their should be a few ground rules when responding. For example state your age or a health condition which drove you in one direction. If you are 65 plus, your response has possibly little benefit to one who is 20 unless you were in their shoes at 20, or are/were a guardian of someone in their 20's. We can really benefit those seeking guidance if we do so with consideration, respect and intelligence.

Hey Duffey

Re :"After seven years on this forum, I've come to believe the tissue vs mechanical debate is irrelevant unless you're facing replacement. I suggest that only those facing replacement engage in it. Those of us who have made their choice, stay out of it and focus on living the best life we can as survivors of valve replacement."

I really dig what you are putting out their! Far to often we think we are helping folks make an informed decision when in fact we turn the thread into a stomach churning debate. I know from experience, as last year I went overboard and slammed brother Neil. I still feel crappy about the comments I made. Neil stepped up, sent me a PM and since then we have been mates. Very Manly of Neil! ILU DUDE! LOL!

On the other hand, their is a time for valve recipients to step in. That is when a member requests us to share why we selected a particular valve. Their should be a few ground rules when responding. For example state your age or a health condition which drove you in one direction. If you are 65 plus, your response has possibly little benefit to one who is 20 unless you were in their shoes at 20, or are/were a guardian of someone in their 20's. We can really benefit those seeking guidance if we do so with consideration, respect and intelligence.

Hey Bdryer!
The request for specific information could be handled by private message. I think if everyone suggested that the member seeking info read the stickies, and suggested they read replies on the Valve selection forum, there would be little reason to rehash personal decisions. I think valve recipients step up when they offer support before and after surgery, since they've walked the walk.

Hi Duffey

Excellent suggestions! I've noticed me included, that we do not use all the tools available. I'd like to see more activity in the "new advancement" section of this forum.

Sadly and I believe all of us know it, that because we had valve replacement surgery, the procedure may have to be repeated, regardless of valve composition and type. Hence we are all hanging out supporting and learning from each other. Me I'm terrified of endocarditis, [the great equalizer driving reops]. I have started a thread on the topic under "heart talk". Hoping to encourage an informative discussion within this thread so we can prevent contracting the disease.

hey bruce my old mate, your only saying that cos you want a ride in my car lol, agree bruce about what you said very well put my friend,

Hi Neil

Good to here from you! Hope the beautiful Jag is stealthy enough to hold back speeding tickets. NOT! One day I'm flying over to tour the roads around London sipping brewskis.

Did Will and Kate make it home? They won the hearts of Canadians, me included. They had a blast in Calgary and the Rocky mountain area. They were even grand marshals for our Stampede parade.

Warfarin ..."Good for you" ???

Warfarin ..."Good for you" ???

dont know where you got that, but never ever heard that from all the experts i have spoken to,75 to 80 are you joking? warfarin good for you ? yea thats why everbody experts included are trying to and hopefully will do get another drug to use instead of it, marty sorry my friend but you way of the mark

I do say it sort of tongue in cheek. It never can be proved that it is good for you. Most doctors are afraid of warfarin - they hate it.. After all it was once a successful rat poison! However, in my individual case I hav e felt better since I started taking warfarin. Until me, all the men in my family have died in their 50's and 60's, from coronaries or CHF. I fully expected to have a fatal coronary years ago. At one time I was a little neurotic about it.
Was it the warfarin maybe that got me this far? You take Pradaxa, I'll take warfarin! LOL

Was it the warfarin maybe that got me this far? You take Pradaxa, I'll take warfarin! LOL

Marty, I have long wondered about this too:wink2:. I have been on warfarin continously for 44 years. People tell me I look like I am 55, not 75.....have had NO other serious medical problems over all these years, literally no aches and pains(well, almost none), still have a full head of hair with only a little gray, still have a very keen mind(at least I think so:smile2:) and excellant reflexes(I still bounce when I fall without breaking:eek2:)....so maybe it IS the warfarin:tongue2:.

Two of us!

Two of us!

Marty, I have long wondered about this too:wink2:. I have been on warfarin continously for 44 years. People tell me I look like I am 55, not 75.....have had NO other serious medical problems over all these years, literally no aches and pains(well, almost none), still have a full head of hair with only a little gray, still have a very keen mind(at least I think so:smile2:) and excellant reflexes(I still bounce when I fall without breaking:eek2:)....so maybe it IS the warfarin:tongue2:.

Dick, I love your story. Now there are at least two people who think warfarin might be good for you!

I was 20 when I had my valve "repaired" at the last minute instead of a replacement because my surgeon knew I had no children yet and hoped the repair would get me through my child-bearing age.. unfortunately a week later it was still leaking.. so I chose a mechanical valve and lifelong coumadin because I really don't want to have another surgery unless it's absolutely necessary and at the time (2000) my surgeon told me a tissue valve would last 5-10 years, so that was out of the question in my mind personally.

I've been on coumadin now 11 years with no problems.. I had a son though through surrogacy and now about to go through another surrogacy in September for baby #2! Best of luck to you & your wife and making the best decision for you.. sending many prayers your way that all goes well..

Latest posts

Back