Tissue Valve and Calcium Supplements?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retiredmls

Just went for my pre-op today at UPenn. I was surprised to learn that if I need a replacement rather than a repair (and I have chosen tissue), it is advisable to no longer take calcium supplements. Those of you with tissue valves, have you been given this advice?

My surgeon told me that there is no research that has demonstrated a link between diet and calcification. He suggested that in the absence of evidence that one should not change one's diet. Since the process of calcification is poorly understood, making significant changes to ones diet might one day be found to even exacerbate the problem.

A case in point (me)....I've been lactose intolerant for the past 30 years so I've not been able to drink milk or eat most dairy products which is a main source of calcium in our culture. During that time, I've also not taken calcium supplements, however, that does not appear to made any difference in the calcification of my valve. As my surgeon pointed out, one would expect less calcification in individuals such as myself if diet is a significant factor yet my valve was so calcified it was difficult to tell how many leaflets it actually had originally.

I would suggest that you periodically read what you can find about the subject. Who knows when a research project may uncover the cause of valve calcification? For now, though, that discovery has not been made.

Larry

http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...cification&highlight=tissue+valve+and+calcium

I, too was not told to avoid calcium and I have a tissue valve.
Here is an older thread on this topic (discussion in this thread is on the calcification of a native valve and bioprosthetic valves). You may be interested in reading the responses. It will be interesting to see if any future studies come up with anything new (as Mentu mentioned).

Latest posts

Back