Time for surgery to replace my BAV

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi everyone. I've been lurking around this site for years, only posted a few times but come here often. For those who don't remember, I'm 27, was diagnosed as having a BAV with regurgitation about 4-5 years ago. Since then I've seen the cardiologist every 6 months, and it's always been a given that I would need to have the valve replacement surgery someday. 2 weeks ago at my regular appointment I was told 'it's time'. This is based on the fact that my regurgitation is now severe, my heart is starting to enlarge (still within normal range but the shape is changing, apparently), and I have noticed a change in my overall energy level over a 2-3 year period, along with longer and more frequent bouts of palpitations and shortness of breath. They want to get this done while I'm young and otherwise healthy, and I agree. I thought I'd be a lot more stressed out about the surgery, but I actually just feel ready to get it over with. When the cardiologist told me the news, I skipped right over the shock and went right to my questions. She said she'd never had a patient ask those questions right away before... that's the benefit of doing your research! I already decided that I'll be getting a mechanical valve because of my age, and I have specifically requested an Onyx valve for the possibility of having a lower INR range in the future. My understanding is that Onyx valves have less of a guarantee of longevity, in comparison to St Jude or other valves that have been around longer, does anyone know if that's the case? In any event it's a gamble I would be willing to take, since if all goes well I will only need 1 surgery in my life, and I can live with the possibility of one more. The only thing I refuse to give up is snowboarding a few times a year, which I know is a risk being on Coumadin. But I've decided that as long as I minimize the risks by wearing a helmet and not going off jumps or through the trees it's a risk I'm willing to take. I already got a call from the surgeon's office, once I have my paperwork in order I will go on the cancellations list, so my surgery will likely be happening sometime between the middle of January and the end of March. I have been extremely happy with the University of Alberta hospital in Edmonton, Alberta, where I will be having my surgery - every single staff member I have met there has been friendly, caring and informative, so I feel like I'm in good hands. I'm lucky that this is actually a great time in my life to be doing this, I have benefits and disability coverage at work, a great support network of people to take care of me, no dependents or mortgage to worry about.

Anyway I just wanted to reintroduce myself since I might be on here more now that things are moving forward. A couple of random questions:
I normally wear contact lenses, but I'm assuming that's a no-no for being under anesthesia? At what point can I start wearing them again, or do I need to stick with glasses for awhile? Will they give me my glasses right away when I wake up in the ICU? I'm very near-sighted so I'm worried about lying there without being able to see for an extended period of time.

I also want to say a big thank you to those who continue to come here and post after their surgery to provide information and support to others. This site is a huge part of why I am so prepared to get this surgery over with.

I'm 43, and had my surgery 9 months ago. I'm also extremely near-sighted. I wore my glasses to the hospital that morning, and my husband took them after he kissed me good luck. (I just asked him about this, I never thought about how they ended up on my face again!) After surgery, when they brought my family in to see me before I woke up, hubby gave my glasses to my ICU nurse. The nurse must have put the glasses on me, because the first time I opened my eyes I could see the clock on the far wall. (And that's all I remember!) the next time I opened my eyes my family was there and I could see them clearly.

I wore my glasses exclusively for about 3 weeks, simply because I was taking lots of naps. It's bad enough waking up groggy, it's even worse waking up with sticky eyes, right? The first time I wore my contacts again I felt AWESOME, like I was really heading back to "normal."

I love this site, too. It was a touchstone for me in the weeks leading up to surgery. If you haven't checked out the questions for the ladies, I strongly suggest you do, and fin a cardiac or coumidin nurse to discuss your concerns.

Any other questions?

Thanks for the response MrsBray. It's these seemingly silly questions that keep coming up for me. Maybe it has to do with my control issues :p

What about underwear? Can you wear regular underwear in the hospital once the catheter is out?

shanwow1;n850754 said:
What about underwear? Can you wear regular underwear in the hospital once the catheter is out?
Once out of high dependency they will probably want you to get dressed in day clothes, they did at the hospital I was at. Day clothes in the daytime and nightclothes at night, so yes you wear your regular underwear. You'll need loose fitting clothes though as your body retains fluid after surgery so you'll be a bit bigger ! I was advised jogging trousers and button through top.

I wore hospital pants and gown, with my robe from home. Underwear was not needed. There was no requirement to wear "day clothes" for me. Loose fitting hospital scrub pants and the gown for a top was comfortable and made it convenient for blood draws and injections.

Reactions: Eva
Looks like we might be having our surgeries at about the same time. Like you, I am extremely nearsighted. I don't wear contacts though. My vision without glasses is "CF" ...off the charts. Keep that goal of snowboarding in your mind., It will inspire you to get through the operation. For me it's a return to scuba diving. When I was just in the hospital for a week i wore cargo sweatpants and the hospital top. Like Tom points out, that's convenient for blood draws, which I had every six hours for almost a week. I like your choice of the ON-X valve. If I were going mechanical i would want that also, but I'll most likely go with a bovine pericardial tissue valve. Wishing you a happy holiday and the best outcome for your procedure.

I had my monthly cycle the day before surgery. I was outfitted with hospital supplies (disposable undergarments with built-in protection) that did not interfere with the catheter. Once the catheter was removed, I was able to wear whatever I wanted. I chose my own briefs, covered by brightly colored boxers. I came out of surgery with a surgical bra, and wore it about a week. On top, I just wore the hospital gown. It had a pocket for the wireless heart monitor, and gave the nurses and techs easy access to all the ports I had, and the incision site. (To this day, I have several shirts I can't wear yet because they irritate my scar. So....shopping!)

Because I couldn't sleep on my side, I hardly ever took my glasses off. I had no desire to see my drainage tubes, so I never looked. i had no desire to see my incision, so I never looked. In fact, when the techs came in the evening to "bathe" me at the bathroom sink, I took my glasses off and stared at the sink drain (what i could see of it). When I'm not wearing my glasses my mind simply shuts down. It's like I'm not even there. This helped me through the gross stuff, and helped me with my modesty issues.

What else?

Thanks for the responses! Thought of another random question: does anyone know how long it might take me to be able to have the lung capacity and stamina to go back to singing in my choir?

cldlhd;n851378 said:
Where did you hear about reduced longevity for the on-x valve?

I guess I just inferred that since the On-x valve is a more recent innovation that there probably isn't as much data on the long-term (I'm talking 20+ years) success of the valve, vs say the St.Jude valve.

shanwow1;n851389 said:
I guess I just inferred that since the On-x valve is a more recent innovation that there probably isn't as much data on the long-term (I'm talking 20+ years) success of the valve, vs say the St.Jude valve.

Yes, St. Jude valves have a much longer track record. My surgeon gave me the option of the On-X valve and the St. Jude valve. I was initially going to go with the On-X valve but changed my mind to St. Jude because it has a longer and successful track record. Been around since the 70's. I hear the On-X valve is good but I want something that's been around longer and proven to be good. And my surgeon definitely agreed.

I can understand the thinking that it's been around longer but Chrysler has been around longer than Honda .....not saying in anyway that St. Jude would be less dependable just that sometimes fresh blood brings innovation

I can understand the thinking that it's been around longer but Chrysler has been around longer than Honda .....not saying in anyway that St. Jude would be less dependable just that sometimes fresh blood brings innovation

shanwow1;n851389 said:

a number of us here also have the ATS (recently purchased by Medtronics so now re-badged) valve and all the reading I've ever done on the three shows they are neck and neck with the ATS having also a long history and a good one.

I think you'll find that all are pyrolytic carbon all have operational life in excess of normal human life spans and the newer ones have some subtle advantages in blood flow and clotting caused by opening and closing jets.

Latest posts

Back