Time for my 6 month check-up!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mileena46

I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I am....though not sure why. I am also scheduled for an echo. REALLY worried about that. I WANT my left atrium to have shrunk somewhat....but not really expecting it. I am going to talk to my doctor about trading in my Amiodarone! I hate doing this...but feel I need too....I know I said I would do it last time, but I have too this time. I have gained 41 pounds since last visit...my thyroid isn't functioning and I am still holding LOTS of fluid on my legs and belly!

So, I can't afford the Multag....I am wondering what I should ask for....Solatol? I am not sure about the spelling....anyone taking it and buying it without insurance? Let me know the cost....or close....don't tell me I can get help...I do already and the Amiodarone is still the highest cost med I take! I get all of my meds for $6 and the Amio runs around $25! What can I ask for that might keep my heart in rhythm that I can afford to buy??

I am also having horrible depression...never had it before....so now I am crying all the time..I would think my depression time is past.....?? I have a lot of things going on in my life but no more than usual. I also read an article online the other day about the mortality rates of people who have had Mitral Valve Replacement and it had 68% at 5 years! What the hell? It didn't say WHAT they died from...but now I am worried and updating my living will!!

Didn't mean to dump all this...just really want to know about the meds...you guys always come through....so I will ask for whatever you suggest!

Mileena

I'm sorry you are having such a tough time. I don't have any suggestion of what meds to ask for,(why don't you ask your pharmacyst for his recomendations, since he would know the cost of the different meds and what would be fine with the rest of the meds you need (I find sometimes the doctors don't know how expensive meds are they prescribe.) but was wonderring if you considerred the depression, MIGHT be from your thyroid not working right anymore?

I Take Sotalol, I think it's about $11 at walgreens. Without insurance but check with the pharmacist. If you are worried about mortality rates go to the Cleveland clinic's website, the have tons of information and you can chat with a nurse who can give you more info. The mortality rates I believe is only 1% each year, and that isn't cumulative. It does not mean you have a 10% in 10 years. If those numbers you found were true then people on this board would be dropping like flies. I had a mitral valve repair, my surgeon gave me a 99% chance that I'll never again have a problem regarding that valve and at 28 years old that's a big promise. I've done too much reading about this and replacement because I wasn't sure which I'd end up with and there is little difference in mortality rates between repairs and replacements except if you get a biological valve you need to have it replaced again eventually so there is that surgery risk again and if it's a mechanical valve those can last 50 years, and your risk is just slightly in increased with coumadin. So good luck on your left atrium, I'm hoping mine will shrink more as well.

As far as depression talk to someone, if you can't see a therapist then find a priest or a family member that will sit with you and help you work out your thoughts.

I Take Sotalol, I think it's about $11 at walgreens. Without insurance but check with the pharmacist. If you are worried about mortality rates go to the Cleveland clinic's website, the have tons of information and you can chat with a nurse who can give you more info. The mortality rates I believe is only 1% each year, and that isn't cumulative. It does not mean you have a 10% in 10 years. If those numbers you found were true then people on this board would be dropping like flies. I had a mitral valve repair, my surgeon gave me a 99% chance that I'll never again have a problem regarding that valve and at 28 years old that's a big promise. I've done too much reading about this and replacement because I wasn't sure which I'd end up with and there is little difference in mortality rates between repairs and replacements except if you get a biological valve you need to have it replaced again eventually so there is that surgery risk again and if it's a mechanical valve those can last 50 years, and your risk is just slightly in increased with coumadin. So good luck on your left atrium, I'm hoping mine will shrink more as well.

As far as depression talk to someone, if you can't see a therapist then find a priest or a family member that will sit with you and help you work out your thoughts.

I don't know where you read that figure about mortality rates, but what Michelle says above is spot on! I think you have gotten hold of some bad information, which is easy to do on the Internet.

As for depression, it is very common, post-OHS, in varying degrees. Again, Michelle is right -- seek out help if you need if. Maybe finding a new interest -- hobby, club, whatever, or a fitness routine -- would be helpful. Walking my dog means a lot to me -- she was with me every step of the way in my recovery and beyond. But if it's not practical to have a dog, there are many other possibilities out there Have you considered joining a local Mended Hearts chapter? It is a great support group for folks with mended - or mending -- hearts.

Mileena, I wonder if a lot of your problems aren't a result of the Amiodarone. I know that you have been a fan of it and we've all had this discussion on here before, but we all know it's long list of nasty side effects and if your thyroid is that out of wack, I don't think it is unreasonable that depression would follow.

As for what med to go on next, you are assuming you are still going to need one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you go into a-fib after surgery and that's what prompted you to go on Amnio? If so, now that your heart has had time to heal, what makes you think you still even need to take something for it? Who knows, maybe you can get away with a little beta blocker for a little while and then maybe nothing! Wouldn't that be nice! Not every patient who develops a-fib after surgery becomes chronic.

I agree with the others on that silly 68% statistic you found. Either that was a study from like 1960 or you misunderstood what that 68% mortality rate was.

I'm sure your appt. will go fine. Let us know how it turns out.

Kim

Thanks everyone for replying.
Kay..I went into A-Fib before surgery several times. One of the reasons I went to the Cardiologist before surgery was my heart out of rhythm. I hated it so bad that I have developed a horrible dread of it ever happening again. I went on the Amio the day I went into the hospital....(my HR was 262 bpm)and have been on it ever since...my Cardio told me that my left atrium was so enlarged that he fully expects me to go into A-Fib off and on and eventually stay in more than out. I cannot stand the thought of that. He tells me that we will keep my heart rate so low that it won't be like it was before.......but....who knows?

I would love to think that I might not need any meds at all for my rhythm, but I would be worried about it constantly. I also have the loudest valve ever made..(they saved it just for me! :) ) and any little odd beat or double beat or PVC and I KNOW it!

Lyn, I didn't know the thyroid had anything to do with depression....all I know is I am soooo not happy. I hate the extra weight and my hair and skin is so dry.

Bob,
I recently got a dog. He is 5 months old and killing me. He is a German Shepherd and beautiful....but so much puppy and being on Coumadin I look like I have been in a fight all the time....he still jumps and is so excited when I come home, that I am bruised from head to toe. I am looking forward to neutering next month and hope it calms him!

Michelle,
I think Solatol will be what I ask for...the price sounds right and others have had success with it in the past. My cardio told me six months ago that we could talk about changing then but I wasn't ready. I think I am now.

Mileena

Mileena, I know it is a mute point now and I'm really just wondering out loud here, but if your left atrium was so enlarged and you were already going in and out of a-fib before surgery and he thought you might have a continous problem with it afterwards, why didn't they try a maze on you while they were in there? I know they aren't 100% effective, but it would have been worth the try? I definitely think mine has kept me from having major rhythm problems.

Did have one Kay. Didn't stop me from going back in.....one time. The surgeon said it would be easy because I was STILL in A-Fib when I went into surgery, I also had a small blood clot that he (apparently) also took care of.....I know some people go into A-fib once and then not again...and I might be lucky and be one of those...just have never gone off the meds to find out.

Mileena

Mileena

Sorry to hear you are going through some rough time. Hope you will get your med taking care of and keep us
posted on your 6 month check-up.

Latest posts

Back