time for me to get moving too

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuba_898

Well I was diagnosed with BAV back in early March. never had a second opinion due me trying to change insurances. Saw a surgeon yesterday that was referred by close friend of the family and he says it time to go. The surgeon wants me to have surgery in the two months. he has recommended me to a different cardiologist and wants for me to have a heart cath done soon. I don't really know what other test i need to have done right now. My wife and i are very confident with the surgeon, so are not looking at a second opinion, is that wise? He is also talking about putting a st. jude valve in. he has a lot of experience doing ross procedures but does not believe i am a canidate. I have read a lot about the onyx valve and like what i see about it. I asked him about it and he believes that the st. jude is still better.

I am just curious if anyone out there has really seen a difference in the too. I have heard of the mech valves clicking, is one more prone to clicking than the other. Both valves are mech. valves so either one should be a "one time fix" ideally, right. I know that the Onyx is going through a clinical trial for low dosage coumadin which sounds great, but from my understanding may or may not pass. Lastly, I believe on the onyx website it talks how the valve is designed differently which allows for better blood flow, is that still true or is it totally unproven. I know these are a lot of questions, I don't know if someone here can answer or give a opinion on them. I imagine i should have asked my surgeon them too. I guess hind sight is 20/20.

I will keep yall informed on any updates and let you know when i schedule the date. thanks again.

Do a Search on VR.com for keyword "Bokros".

Jack Bokros, Ph.D., and his group developed Pyrolytic Carbon for an application in the Nuclear Power industry. It was later discovered to have good compatibility with blood and St. Jude worked with Jack Bokros to develop the FIRST Bileaflet Mechanical Valves. He has been designing Heart Valves ever since (for over 30 years).

Would you prefer his FIRST Design (St. Jude) or his Latest and Greatest, (On-X) reflecting all that he has learned about valve design in the last 30 years?

The On-X valve has the latest (patented) Pyrolytic Carbon design which is Smoother and Stronger than the original AND it has NO silicone in it (used for strengthening the earlier materials) resulting in a smoother surface that has a Lower potention for clot formation (not to mention smoother pivots and 'edges').

The On-X is the ONLY valve (tissue or mechanical) that has a Barrier to retard or prevent Pannus Tissue Growth from impinging the leaflets. There have been NO reports of Pannus Growth impingement on an On-X in the 12 years they have been in service per Catheran Barnett, R.N. of On-X.

One member who received an On-X valve posted that the Echo Tech couldn't believe that he had a mechanical valve because s/he did not see any turbulence during his post-op checkup.

You may want to ask Dr. Wolfe (at Peachtree Cardiovascular) about his opinion of the On-X valve vs. St. Jude. Or ask Dr. Puskas, at Emory University. He is the one heading the No / Low Anticoagulation Study with the On-X Valve. I'm thinking that Dr. Puskas is chief of cardiothoracic surgery at Emory. (need to check that)

Dr Pettersson (one of the most highly regarded Surgeons at Cleveland Clinic) is another advocate of the On-X Valve. See comments from "ctyguy" who received an On-X at CC / Dr. Pettersson.

Call On-X and ask for their Information Package to get more details (888-339-8000) or e-mail [email protected]

i know that when i went through my surgery i had asked the surgeon to put in an on-x and he wouldn't. he said that since the st. jude had been around for so long and on-x only for 12 years that he trusted the st. jude more and so that is what i have. i can here clicking sometimes but only if i am sitting in a room with absolute silence. the clicking really doesn't bother me because atleast i know it is working.

my surgeon just felt that the st. jude valve was more proven since it has been around for so long. i had no problem with it because my uncle has had a st. jude for 17 years in the aortic position and he is doing very well.

Back