Tick, tick....my valve is driving me crazy!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinH

Got my brand new shiny St. Jude's valve on 6/18/08. Going to sleep at night was initially not a problem because the ticking sound of my valve was drowned out by the humming of the bedroom window fan or air conditioner; however, now that it's getting cooler out, there is no need for the fan or ac and all I can hear when trying to get to sleep is my ticking valve. I fixate on the sound and have a really hard time getting to sleep. It only bothers me at night. I barely notice it during the day.

Any suggestions from you veteran valve people?

Joe had two mechanical valves. He always used a sound machine at night. He liked the wave sounds. They have several programmed sounds included on most machines. I think if you Google on Google's shopping section, you might find quite a few for sale.

Hi ~ I was going to suggest the same thing. I use mine to drown out the 24 year old girl next door who loves loud music at night. I bought mine at our local Walmart store...i like the thunderstorm sound myself. Hope you can find one and that it works for you (if you decide to buy one). Good luck!

hummm, let me think.
I used to hear mine mostly when I was on my right side, turned over to the left and I didn't hear it has much.
When in bed tonight, try to focus on a happy place.....beach, hammock, waves and blue skies.......it works for me.

Like Freddie I still hear mine. I would be more worried or crazy if I did'nt!!!:eek:
I"m wierd I guess but I sort of like my ticking I have pretty much gotten use to it, after 2 years and counting.:D
I can hear it when I'm sitting and everybody in the house is gone. Music does help some, just never tried it at night. Good Luck....

my husband snores so bad I can't hear thunder at night ! Seriously, though, got used to mine within a week or two. But I have noticed that it sounds louder in bed if my stomach is less full than usual . . .

I'm a light sleeper........postop I thought I would go NUTS!
I had hubby remove all the ticking clocks, and I still lay there listening to every beat, twitch and tic of my heart. Maybe you can put a radio on very low?
Now my heart thumps me to sleep.

You'll get used to it. You'll also figure out that some positions make it louder than others. I have a mechanical mitral, and my left side is the loudest. After 10 years, I have to think about mine to hear it anymore. When I can't sleep, for whatever reason, I use it like counting sheep, only I start at 100 and count backward.

When I read a thread like this, I start to tremble.
Had I not read as much as I did here before my surgery, it never would have occured to me a mechanical valve might tick.

Because of what I learned here, I specifically asked both my cardio and surgeon and they both acknowledged they don't know in advance exactly how loud or subdued a valve will be in each person. I would have thought it obvious a large, barrel chested man probably would not hear his valve as loudly as a small, slight woman but that is not always the case.

I would have gone NUTTY with a loud valve and was very definite about that in my conversations with my doctors. That could have been a very nasty surprise for me when I woke from surgery.

Thankfully, they took me seriously and our conversations became re: tissue valves.

My hands tremble typing this to think how badly I would have managed if I had a loud valve. I have never been able to stand a ticking watch or clock.

I will also add that is not the ONLY reason I opted for tissue vs mechanical but certainly one of them.

Robin..... I SO hope you get used to it very quickly and it becomes a comforting sound for you.

I have a tissue valve so I can't relate, but I do have a sound machine. I listen to rain at night. I bought ours at WalMart for ten dollars. Worth every cent. Good luck to you.

I would have gone NUTTY with a loud valve and was very definite about that in my conversations with my doctors. That could have been a very nasty surprise for me when I woke from surgery.

Thankfully, they took me seriously and our conversations became re: tissue valves.

Jkm7,

I'd say you were lucky that your surgeon could honor your wishes for a tissue valve. We have several members here (I think Al Capshaw is one of them) who had a tissue as their choice, but didn't get it because when the surgeon got in there, only a mechanical would work.

My valve is quite loud even after 7 years. There are times it drives me a bit nuts (mostly when I'm trying to sleep in), but for the most part it's ok. I don't usually comment on valve noise because I don't want to scare anyone, but I can ALWAYS hear my valve.

Robin,

As Nancy and Lisa have suggested...try to find either a sound machine or if you can...sleep with the radio on.

Last edited:
..............I fixate on the sound and have a really hard time getting to sleep....................
Any suggestions from you veteran valve people?

....... errrrrmm don't fixate.

Not trying to be facetious here, just speaking plainly. :) Relax, de-stress, accommodate; this is not an alien entity ticking, it is part of you. Do try different sleeping positions as they affect amplification. In the main just relax and go with the flow. Accept the tick as your friend, it is improving your health, lifestyle and lifespan. Learn to love it. ;) :) :)

Even though I have a tissue valve and don't have the tick tick issue, I could hear every beat of my heart at night for at least a year before I had my surgery. After surgery, when my heart was so quiet, I was a little unsettled by it and kept trying to get in a position to hear it again. I think any "noise" issue when we are trying to sleep just takes time to adjust to. I would bet that soon it really won't bother you anymore, at least I hope so.

Kim

Robin, I have had a St judes for 11 years. At first I had the same problem but it was not long before I had to struggle to hear it at all. It just becomes part of your rythum. That being said I remember it drove me WACKY! just give it time. I have just had a surgery to repaire an aneurysm with a dacron graft and am having a constant heavy beat that is driving me nuts. People are giving me the same advice I am giving you. All I can say is what we have to go through is better than the alternative.

Jkm7,

I'd say you were lucky that your surgeon could honor your wishes for a tissue valve. We have several members here (I think Al Capshaw is one of them) who had a tissue as their choice, but didn't get it because when the surgeon got in there, only a mechanical would work.

My valve is quite loud even after 7 years. There are times it drives me a bit nuts (mostly when I'm trying to sleep in), but for the most part it's ok. I don't usually comment on valve noise because I don't want to scare anyone, but I can ALWAYS hear my valve.

Robin,

As Nancy and Lisa have suggested...try to find either a sound machine or if you can...sleep with the radio on.

Yes, Kristy. I was blessed my surgeon could implant a tissue valve and I know it. I think he would have done everything in his power to accomplish that when his attempt at repair was unsuccessful. He saw and heard the deep concern in my voice and demeanor while discussing mechanical valves.

Robin, like others have said 'you do get used to it'.
I have a harder time with others hearing it when I'm awake. Granddaughter bringing her friends to listen and things like that. I guess it's an ego thing or something.
I hear mine worse when laying on my left side, and also when I'm in that 'too tired to sleep' state. I still (5 years later) find it helps to hold a pillow into my chest. I think it muffles the sound a little and I still get the security feeling. Sometimes, now, I want to hearit. Guess that is a security issue too. Just makeing sure I'm still alive....lol

Robin,

I think you may get used to it. . . I heard mine several days after the surgery, particularly when I was lying on my back. I have not heard it for the last week or so, and the nurse who comes to the house has to use her stethoscope to hear it when she examines me.

Now I am worried that I can't hear it. . . ??

Quite honestly my murmur was so loud it would keep me awake. I find the small click somewhat comforting knowing things are working correctly for the first time in five years....

valve noise seems to change

valve noise seems to change

my on-x valve was very quiet at first, then after a few months it became very loud. now after 6 months it seems very quiet again; i hardly ever hear it.

maybe i have just gotten used to it of maybe it is quieter for some other reason.

anyway, be aware that your valve could become quieter in the future or you could simply become deaf to the noise

good luck

Latest posts

Back