They match!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I realize that I may get some heat because I own more than one meter - but both were quite inexpensive (see the thread on Buying on eBay for more details), and I was also able to get the strips affordably.

I've been using a ProTime, and moved up to a ProTime 3 (for a great price), a few months ago. The ProTime 3 strips have dual quality control, and I trust the results. (The result of a test or two taken within minutes of each other by the ProTime and the ProTime 3 matched -- no surprise).

I recently got a brand new CoaguChek S at an amazing price (and I won't go into details here). There was a slight learning curve (which lancet to use, how deep to incise, how to place a drop from finger to strip, etc., how to open that damned foil wrapper the strips come in), but I've been able to get some tests.

I finally decided to do a comparison test between CoaguChek S and ProTime 3. One of the reasons was a drop in INR from 3.8 a week ago to 2.1 this week. (During the week, I started drinking Ovaltine, which has a lot of Vitamin E, and perhaps this dietary change, plus extended physical activity and some minor dehydration changed my INR - still such a drop was kind of surprising).

I wanted to make sure the INR was accurate (and I don't completely trust the CoaguChek S--yet). I attempted to use one puncture for both machines - but got an error on CoaugChek (probably not enough blood). Because the ProTime doesn't want the first drop, I was able to get enough blood for the ProTime 3 to give me a result - 2.2.

A few minutes later, with a new CoaguChek PT strip adequately warmed to do the test, I used a different finger and got enough blood for the test.

The result was 2.2 -- the same as the one with the ProTime. (The seconds have never matched, but that's probably because of different values for the reagent - the important number was the INR).

I was glad to see the same INR on both meters - I wasn't sure I was expecting the match. (Even lab tests on arterial blood don't always match capillary blood from the fingers, so I wasn't really expecting them to be equal)

Next March, when my ProTime strips expire, I'll be faced with the question of which meter to use. My supply of strips for the CoaguChek S expire in June. If I can figure out how to get the first drop onto that solid light under the CoaguChek PT strip, I may wind up with even more of a dilemma.

But for now, it's nice to know that the results of the same blood with both meters are the same.

Got Heat?

Got Heat?

Why would you catch heat for owning two meters?

It's interesting in a good way that you got matching readings from both machines. That should boost your confidence in both machines.

Is there enough difference in the cost of test strips to make one of the machines more economical to operate than the other?

Regarding E-bay purchases, I've never bought testing supplies via E-bay, but I know others who have. None of the folks I know have ever indicated having problems.

-Philip

-Philip

. If I can figure out how to get the first drop onto that solid light under the CoaguChek PT strip,

But for now, it's nice to know that the results of the same blood with both meters are the same.

It is interesting....and comforting, that you get the same readings using either machine. I use the Coaguchek XS and have found that if I apply the drop to the side of the strip, it will quickly wick up the strip (there is a good picture in my user manual). After screwing up a few early tests, I decided to follow the instructions in the book.....which is hard for a guy that only reads the instructions "after all else fails":redface2:.

Philip:
IN some earlier posts, I mentioned that I would like to help anyone who is on anticoagulants to test their INRs - regardless of ability to pay. I think it's an imporant public health issue. I was accused of wanting to break some laws, put meters into the wrong hands, and other nasty things.

In truth, I own more than two meters -- but the ProTime 3 that I currently use was an upgrade for me - from an original ProTime, and the CoaguChek S (bought brand new, still in the box) cost me less than $100 for BOTH of the machines. I got the ProTime 3 first, but was curious about why people preferred the CoaguChek and InRatio meters so much more -- an inexpensive CoaguChek S made it very tempting. Also, the fact that I saw a dozen test strips for about 40 bucks delivered made it a relatively low risk purchase. THAT's why I had two meters - and I'd been wanting to test both against each other. (I was expecting some minor variation - perhaps .1 or .2 from one machine to the other - about as well as labs compare to the meters, and was pleased that they matched - on this round of tests, at least).

Regarding the cost of the strips -- I bought a package of 48 CoaguChek S strips, expiring in June 2011, for about $120, delivered. My 25 ProTime test setups, from a medical supplier, cost me about $135 - plus an obscene charge for shipping. The ProTime strips expire in March 2011. If I was to get the CoaguChek PT strips (the ones that the CoaguChek S uses, and not the same as the ones that the CoaguChek XS uses), without finding a good deal, the 48 are in the neighborhood of $200.

Aside from the cost per strip is another factor to be considered -- expiration date. How many tests would you want to make before the strips expire? If some one offered me a box of 48 CoaguChek PT strips, or 25 ProTime strips for $20, but they expired next week - the actual cost for the ONE test I'd probably run before the strips expire would be $20. If the 48 CoaghChek PT strips didn't expire in June 2011, I may not have bought them -- I don't plan do make more than a test a week unless I make some crazy changes to my diet or physical activity or use a new medicine that has an effect on INR. There's a vendor who is trying to sell CoaguChek PT strips on eBay with an expiration date of November 2010. These may be great for a medical pracice or an Anticoagulation Clinic that runs a lot of tests - but for an individual tester, they just don't make sense.

---

And Dick, your suggestion to put the drop on the side of the strip sounds like a pretty good one - it's not easy to hit that spot above the light. My successful tests were usually from a near hit (or near miss) of the actual spot on the strip.

Explains your concern about heat

Explains your concern about heat

Well, I guess that explains your concern about negative feedback.

I use an INRatio and I didn't look for any real bargins when I bought it. The medical supplier I purchased it from dropped its asking price 50% when company representatives realized I would be purchasing it on my own rather than having my insurance company pay for it (gee, I wonder why medical insurance is over-priced in this country). I purchased it and successfully fought a six month battle with my insurance company to get reimbursed. I never even considered looking for a machine on E-bay.

I always buy test strips in bulk. Testing once a week is my usual routine; however, there are times when I test twice a week.

-Philip

My satisfaction at having matching results was fairly short-lived. I learned that, after October 2011, strips for the CoaguChek S (and earlier meters) will either expire or not be made anymore. A Roche representative told me this - and she wasn't clear which was the correct story. In either case, this meter will probably only be usable for perhaps 14 more months.

I don't know if I would trust the CoaguChek S after the strips expire - even though the meter can be fooled into thinking it's an earlier date, so more months can be squeezed out of the strips. Until I get an XS or an InRatio, I'm comfortable with my ProTime and ProTime 3 -- they have quality control built in, and will probably (I hope) be supported for a long time to come. (I checked the manufacturer's site for the ProTime - they make many other testers - and there were no teasers for a new model meter, and there were quite a few ads and support pages for the current model. Unless Roche and Alere buy them and kill off these meters, they will probably remain around for a while longer--there's probably still a lot of profit in the strips)

Latest posts

Back