The layman's thoughts on dissolving blood clots

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbheart

I enjoyed reading the thread about how often people think about their heart surgeries. Like others I tend to think about it mainly when I run into problems (and tend to come back to this forum only when I have problems--sorry!).

So the problem this week is that a blood clot damaged an artery in my eye and I now have a permanent little gray spot in my vision. I've had the gray spots off and on since my surgery two years ago but they usually dissappear within a few minutes. This one happened Friday evening and wouldn't go away. I was tired and didn't want to deal with it so I went to bed. The next morning the gray spot was much smaller but is now permanently there.

The ophthamologist said there isn't much that I can do besides keep my coumadin in range and take aspirin. He also suggested my cardio do an echo just in case the valve is growing stuff (it's been about 1 1/2 years since my last echo). I asked if taking 3 baby aspirins when it happens would help. He didn't think so. Any ideas?? Do you think next time these tiny clots would dissolve if I took a shot of brandy, ran around the block a couple times madly blinking my eyes, and then jumped into a steaming shower (preferably with a partner)?? :D I'm open to suggestions....

My husband had a similar thing happen and he also had a similar reaction, did nothing about it and didn't tell me. He had had many TIAs affecting his vision, and he thought it was another one of those. They all went away. This one was not a TIA.

His did differ from yours in that he lost all vision in one eye and it was permanent. When it wouldn't go away, he decided to see the eye doctor who said, "What a shame, there is a three hour window of opportunity when we could possibly have done something to minimize this, not a guarantee, but a good possibility. You should have gone to the ER right away, and we would have been called right in to help."

So, NEVER fool around with your eyes, even if you are tired of doctors and don't want to be bothered.

It is worth the effort to possibly save your sight. And nothing you can do at home would help. Have to go to the hospital.

I am sorry you had this happen.

Well I'll volunteer for the shower deal! Of course, one look at me and you might go blind forever. :(

You know it's kind of weird that I've talked to several doctors about this problem and none of them have called it a TIA or suggested that I go to the ER when it happens and today was the first time they called it a blood clot. I don't know whether they were afraid of scaring me or didn't take me seriously. The one eye doctor just said "stuff is sloughing off your heart valve," and not to worry about it. But next time if it lasts more than a few minutes, I will take it seriously and take your advice, Nancy. It was definitely a wake up call! Hopefully for my cardiologist, too.
Sorry Ross, I guess I'll take Nancy's advice and skip the shower.

Whenever I get any Visual 'abnormality' or "Ocular Migraine", I chew a Full (325mg) Aspirin with my Cardiologist's blessing. So far, they tend to clear up in about 20 minutes. Anything over an hour or anything more 'disturbing' that the 'old familiar kaleidoscopic effects' and I would be on the way to the ER.

Latest posts

Back