Switching from coumadin to warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

:eek: Hi everyone (or anyone!)! In Feb 1999 I had AVR due to a congenital bicuspid aortic valve. I have been on coumadin ever since. With changes in insurance and the push for generic drugs, it has gone from costing around $10 a month (ater deductible) to a co-pay of $50. Warfarin is only a fraction of that. I have not heard good things about warfarin (ie hard to regulate, etc.), but am tempted to give it a try because the Coumadin is now highway robbery. Any thoughts on what I should look out for? Has anyone made this change and what were the results? I've never had problems with coumadin with rare cases of INR getting out of line. Thanks for any advice, experience or thoughts. :confused:

Susan

Susan

I will be 5 years on Warfarin this Sunday..:) Never took Coumadin from day 1..I have always been in range...never a problem.:) I take Warfarin 5 mg. a day (Barr)..Bonnie

Switched from Coumadin to the generic, warfarin about 6 years ago - no problems, no change in dosage, no difference at all.

Susan, I was on brand name Coumadin for 37+ years because doctors would not permit me to switch because THEY were comfortable with the brand name. I talked with several pharmacists, as well as the FDA and was told that the brand and generic were identical in active ingredients. Even the current owner (Bristol, Myers, Squibb I think) told me the same thing. I've seen a report where Dupont, who owned the drug until a couple years ago, paid $44,000,000 to settle a lawsuite over their claims that warfarin was inferior to Coumadin. I finally found a younger Cardiologist who has not yet become set in his ways two years ago and made the switch to warfarin (Barr Lab), 5 mg daily. I have had NO problems with the switch except my wallet is fatter. As my doc told me, if it didn't work, I could always go back to Coumadin.

This drug is a PRIME example of price extortion by big Pharma. I know that I took this drug 40 years ago and it was probably on the market for 10/20 years before I began taking it. Any and ALL so called R&D expense has been recovered over and over. There is NO reason that this drug should continue to demand such a premium price. MY daddy always told me "Pigs get fat, but Hogs get slaughtered". The pharmaceutical companies are finally being drug to slaughter "a kickin" and "a squealin"

I've used Coumadin, Jantoven, and Warfarin. There is no difference except in price paid for brand names. Pay alot now is the same as pay little later.

I've heard that the coumadin and warfarin are the same, it's probably worth trying it. I pay $26 for 60 pills of 3 mg coumadin, and my private insurance covers 80 %.

My father had tried a generic version of his angina med, and he had chest pains within the first few days.

MANY of us have switched because Insurance Companies are refusing to pay more than the cost of the Generic Warfarin.

I switched from Coumadin to Generic Warfaring made by TARO in Israel. NO DIFFERENCE, NO PROBLEMS.

After a few years, my insurance company changed Mail Order Providers and I switched again to Generic Warfarin made by BARR in the USA. NO DIFFERENCE, NO PROBLEMS.

As was stated earlier, one of the Coumadin Brand Name owners liked to spread the MYTH that they were superior. It cost them BIG TIME after they were sued and lost. Why is it the so many DOCTORS seem to be the LAST to get the word?

I actually prefer the flat rounded-rectangular tablets because they are much easier to split (even with my fingers and NO tools).

'AL Capshaw'

Bina said:
I've heard that the coumadin and warfarin are the same, it's probably worth trying it. I pay $26 for 60 pills of 3 mg coumadin, and my private insurance covers 80 %.

My father had tried a generic version of his angina med, and he had chest pains within the first few days.
You can get 90 Generic Warfarin 5mg tablets for just over $30 U.S.

Ross said:
You can get 90 Generic Warfarin 5mg tablets for just over $30 U.S.

At that price you are still being ripped off big time. I just checked the price of warfarin in the UK and it is $2 - 3 for 28 tablets depending on strength according to the BNF which gives all the drug information for doctors.

I have been on generic warfarin from day one and have no problems, my INR is stable, and I don't even get the same brand each time, I get what the pharmacist has in stock.

Actually if you can take 5mg, whole or half tablets, you can get 30 tablets at Walmart for $4. However, that only works for the 5mg.

sue943 said:
At that price you are still being ripped off big time. I just checked the price of warfarin in the UK and it is $2 - 3 for 28 tablets depending on strength according to the BNF which gives all the drug information for doctors.

I have been on generic warfarin from day one and have no problems, my INR is stable, and I don't even get the same brand each time, I get what the pharmacist has in stock.
Sue what aren't we getting ripped off on with U.S. Healthcare?

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks so much to all of you! I am going to give warfarin a try. I owe it to my pcketbook to do so. As someone said, I can always go back to Coumadin if I have to. I just can't see paying $50 for 60 pills when I can get 90 for $20 mail order! Thanks and God bless!:D

For 5 years..I pay $18.39 when I pick up my Warfarin..from Eckerd's..(One of the largest pharmacy's in America).then I would file after $200.00 ..and get back 80% of that in the form of a check from Unitedhealthcare..that was for 30 pills.One of the cheapest drugs for life-saving.........:) $18.39 a month....Now, after this pet-food scare. I would be afraid to change anything.:eek: to save a few $$..Also..Amoxicillin a cheap drug to keep on hand..for emergency viisits to dentist.I want to keep this $100,000 mech. valve clean of clots.:D ..Bonnie

Ross said:
Sue what aren't we getting ripped off on with U.S. Healthcare?

I am still reeling from my visit to Atlanta some years ago, I got a cold sore and had forgotten to bring my cream. As it is not prescription only I went to a pharmacist and was charged $25 for something which cost me less than $9 at home. :(

Sue

Sue

What lip balm cost $25.00 OTC? Blistex is the most USA people buy for cold sores..and I am sure it doesn't cost $25.00?..Maybe $5.00? Been a long time since I have had a cold sore...If I find something I hold an ice cube on it..seems to make it go away? ..Bonnie

sue943 said:
I agree with Sue. I've lost count of the number of different generic suppliers whose tablets I've taken. Not noticed a scrap of difference in INR stability. When dealing with prescription drugs, the whole generic thing is pretty much a non-issue in the UK - almost all prescribing is with generics.
As I'm a vegetarian, the only thing I watch with generics is that they come in tablet rather than capsule (gelatin) form. Not been given any warfarin capsules as yet - not even sure anyone does them, but my ramipril has been a problem in the past. Now have my local dispensary trained to ensure that they use a generic supplier that offers tablets.

Started on coumadin last year, then substituted warafin (cheaper perscription), then pharmacist reccomended jantoven instead...I haven't encountered a problem from any of them - my issues with getting regulated, currently a cycle of 4mg/3mg, are separate from the meds. After the second valve replacement with mechanical (first was Ross, 7 years ago) on Wed.4/4, I guess I'll find out how the doctors want to proceed!

Latest posts

Back