Swelling at top of incision

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retiredmls

I am 4 weeks post-op tomorrow. I had an AVR with median sternotomy. My incision looks pretty good, except for a slight swelling right at the top. Is that normal? How long will it take to go away?

Chris, like you and Johan, I, too, had a bump at the top of my incision. My surgeon assured me that it was "an artifact of the geometry of surgery". The good news is that it does not indicate a problem and it goes away in 3 to 6 months.

Oh, I see your valve is like mine and Johan's. Following up on a conversation I had with Johan, have you received your card from Edwards? If you have not received it, you may want to call them and register your valve yourself (Edwards Customer Service: 800-424-3278). Sometimes the Surgeon's office does it but sometimes not. Best to get it done now when the records are still fresh. Chris, I hope your recovery is going well; take care.

Larry

Last edited:
As others have said, the swollen bump is very common. I had pronounced swelling after both my OHS and the swelling decreased gradually and was totally gone within about 3 months both times.

Hope you recovery is going smoothly for you.

Is it swollen or is it more like a bump? If it is swollen it would be soft to the touch, if it's a bump it would feel somewhat like a bruise when touched and should be gone within a few weeks.

If your concerned, get it checked out.

Latest posts

Back