Surgery on Wednesday. Help.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

This is my first post.
Been hanging around this site for years now. Half trying to pick up bit of information.
Half trying to think this day won’t come.
Well its here. Told today that my surgery to replace my bad bicuspid aortic valve will be
On Wed 18[SUP]th[/SUP] Feb.
I’m 59. Been a roofer all my adult life. Done some pretty scary things work wise over the
Years but always felt safe and confident. But having this op has me as scared as a little
Girl.
Don’t know how I’m going to get through the next few days and the thought of actually
Walking through those hospital doors is. I don’t know how.
I know I have no choice. The valve is so bad now and the rest of my heart is in good
Condition for my age as I.ve never smoked. I am at a good hospital I’ve met and like
My surgeon. But I’m so so scared.
Any help you good people can give me on how to get through this terrifying thing
would be appreciated.

My surgery is the same day, also to replace my bicuspid aortic valve. Be strong and you will be fine! I did it 5 years ago, and will manage again. Best of luck and let me kbownif you have questions !

It must be Aortic Valve repair day. I'm scheduled for Wednesday morning as well. Have you decided what kind of valve you are going to get? The 2-18 gang? I'm having valve replacement and arortic repair I'm getting a St. Jude materials- My doc is exclusive with them.
I don't know your name but, If you are anything like the roofers I know- you are a tough dude. If you can stand upright on the edge of the roof of a 4 story house, you have bigger, ehem, stones than I. I also recommend that you join this free forum as this is a great place- but you know that. BTW I'm scared too but knowing that so many have made it through this surgery gives me comfort. Faith and friends help too.

Welcome the family! First of all, I'd recommend you create a login so we can get to know you a bit better. But until then, please understand we all know how you feel. And it's absolutely normal to be scared. Believe me, when I thing back to the two weeks leading up to my surgery, it still get a bit nervous. And my surgery we almost 3 years ago!

What helped me was the following: I have a great family who supported me from beginning to end. I hope you have someone in your life you can lean on because being able to “have a moment” with someone is very helpful. I knew that if I didn’t have the surgery I would be dead within 2 months (that’s what the surgeon told me). Plus, I was very symptomatic. I had a hard time walking to the mailbox and back. So I actually welcomed getting fixed. Finally, this procedure is routine and is carried out thousands of times a year! Yes, it’s a major surgery that can’t be taken lightly, but in this day and age, it’s very predictable.
The other thing you should know is, the hardest part of this is actually everything before you go under for the operation. All of the worrying, and stress, and fear, and anxiety, and “what if” is the worst part. Many of the people in this forum, including me, will tell you the surgery wasn’t that bad. I remember the anesthesiologist telling me he was giving me a cocktail and the next thing I remember is waking up in ICU......surgery over. In pain, but very relieved and very happy.

You’re tougher than you know and it takes a lot of courage to come into a forum and ask for help. Please know we’re all here for you and we’ll do our best to help you through this tough time. So ask as many questions as you want. And if you need to speak with me I’m always available.

Glad to see you here! Keep posting! I'm having a complex procedure two days ahead of you on Monday 2/16...something called a "button Bentall" where they replace not only the valve, but the aortic root and the ascending aorta as well. But they've been doing this stuff for decades now and the mortality rate even for something complex like my surgery is extremely low. So you WILL survive. OK so there will be pain but there are pain meds. We just have to stay ahead of the pain and take enough meds to be comfortable as we recover. The main thing is to breathe ...use the spirometer and walk when you can. So yes, log in and join ...get a user name so we know more about you and keep posting. we'll get through this together!

Jim in Philly.

All good advice from above posts. I am without doubt the worlds biggest crybaby and general wuss. I made it through so can you. It really isn't as bad as you think. And the waiting is defo the worst bit. Good luck

Guest-the anticipation is by far the worst part of this whole experience...I remember thinking "what am I doing" as I walked through the doors to St. Luke's Hospital in Houston...here it is 18 months later, and I'm feeling great. You've done the research, made the necessary choices (valve, hospital, surgeon), now it's time to trust the team you've chosen. Remember, they do this every day, and are GOOD at it. Best wished for a speedy recovery!

Don't know why OHS is so scary......but it is and the fear is normal....and, pretty much, universal. I remember my docs telling me that the heart was far easier to work on than many parts of the body because it was a firm muscle(easy to manipulate and operate on). They where "blowing a little smoke", i'm sure, but it helped me get thru it. Remember that there have been a looooooong list of successful surgeries before yours. If your like most, you will be posting on this site within 24 hours post op with the news.......I MADE IT!!!!

It's hard to believe no matter how many people say it, but the fear beforehand really is worse than the actual experience. Today is the one-year anniversary of my second aortic valve replacement, so I have some grounds for making that statement! One thing that helped me was to make a plan for something enjoyable to anticipate a few months after the surgery. That way your mental horizon doesn't end at the hospital door. I'm glad you found this site--there's so much experience here. But please don't scare yourself reading medical horror stories on the internet. To each of us, this is a uniquely scary experience, but to the medical staff it's something they work with a lot. On surgery day, all you have to do is show up. Until then, get out and exercise, or make some plans, or even search online for relaxation tapes.

Wishing you the best next week!

Hi February 18th Group....... John, I have chosen the On-X aortic valve. This is the mechanical option used by my surgeon, who is very familiar with it. We all need to be rooting for each other next week!

jhc1;n852793 said:
Guest-the anticipation is by far the worst part of this whole experience!
This is so true. I was probably lucky that I was already a candidate for surgery when I found out about my aortic aneurysm. It's probably much worse to have years to build up the anticipation of surgery. Having been thru one OHS now, I just don't look at it the same as I did before. From my perspective it wasn't much different than other surgeries I've had and not as bad as my knee surgery. The way I look at it, the issues that I've had (aortic aneurysm and BAV - now with moderate regurgitation) - these are what are scary to me. I'll need another heart surgery someday and it's not something I'm looking forward to, but I am so thankful that my issues are something that can be repaired.

Best wishes to you guest and all the others going in for surgery.

​Thank you all.
Your words mean a lot and its warming to know others care.
Feeling a bit better today. Spent some time on this site last night.
I should have done that before, there is so much information here.
Not to good using the computer so just finding out how to use the site.
Will change Guest to KenQ soon.
Born with a bicuspid aortic valve. Doc found this 12 years ago but for some
Reason never went into the system. They forgot me and I put my head in the sand
Till last may when I had a row with my GP over antibiotics. Loads of tests later
Now its urgent as they said I’ve only months before it gives up.
I’ve chosen the tissue valve as I’m nearing 60.
I like and trust my surgeon. They have bumped me from the NHS hospital to
The private Harley street clinic.
Surgeon has told me I’m fit for my age, rest of my heart is good aorta is a bit
Enlarged, all the pipe-work is clear as I’ve never smoked, his words.
One month ago my younger brother died from a ruptured aorta and this has
Really focused me.
Again thank you, will be on here every day till the op the tips I’m picking up
Are helping me prepare for Wednesday.

Hi Ken - welcome to the forum. Sorry you found us so late but we're here to support you and you can ask anything, both now and after you've had your op on Wednesday. I'm in the UK too - London area. I had my bicuspid aortic valve replaced last year. I chose a tissue valve too as I was 60 and didn't want to take warfarin, or chance the ticking noise. I'm sure you will be looked after very well at the Harley Street Clinic - who is your surgeon ?

As others have noted, the anticipation is the worst. I really had trouble getting to sleep the last few weeks before surgery. Relaxation tapes helped a bit. Yes, the first day or so after surgery aren't fun. BUt, I can tell you 18 months after surgery, I feel great. The surgery is just a speed-bump in life. When we're scared all we can to is put one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward. You'll be fine, we all made it.

Latest posts

Back