Surgery on Thursday!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Well, I met with my surgeon today. It's been a long struggle for me to go through with this surgery to get my aortic valve replaced, but not because I didn't want to.

I have an issue with acne, and my surgery has been bumped five times previously due to chest acne and the surgical team not wanting me to get an infection. But now my chest is clear enough to where they feel comfortable doing the surgery. I respect their previous decisions. They put me on Doxycycline (been on it for a little more than a month) and my chest is clear to the point where they will do surgery. I have a little bump that was a pimple, but is going away, and the surgeon says it's off to the side a bit so it won't be a problem. They want me to stay on the Doxy right after the surgery as well, throughout the recovery process so that the incision has less of a chance of getting infected. The team at UCLA has really been phenomenal.

I'm scheduled to get my bicuspid aortic valve replaced (with a St. Jude mechanical valve) on Thrusday. The surgeon said he might have to repair my aortic root, but he'll need to see it for himself in order to decide. He's planning to do a minimally invasive approach, but with the aortic root, might have to do a full sternotomy. I'll see when I wake up! :). My surgery is bright and early, first case of the day at 7:30. Wish me luck :)

Latest posts

Back