Sternum wires

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, being a farm boy, I have done a little fencing. I thought from the x-rays that the Doc best spend some time down on the farm and learn about taking care of those twisted up ends. My top two give me grief, I think one may be broke as it sticks me on a regular basis, just as a reminder. So I am going to listen to the folks on this forum and go from there.
Every time I hit the metal detector the lights go right to the max, just before the wanders get buzzed or something? So I get a proceed with caution.

Can't they come up with dissolvable wires.

Dwain, I agree. The highly complicated surgery is much appreciated, but why on earth do we end up with
these annoying, primitive looking, twist tie wires......:(

WIRES! I still have so much to learn.... I just didn't think about this at all. Sometimes I wonder how much I want to know in advance. (JK - I really do want to be an informed patient.)

On the setting off of the metal detectors - that could be related more to the sensitivity setting on the machines themselves.

I guess I am a bit confused.. we have to have the wires removed? My surgeon said I would always have them.. is removing them an elective procedure?

I guess I am a bit confused.. we have to have the wires removed? My surgeon said I would always have them.. is removing them an elective procedure?

The wires usually do not need removed, Some people have problems/pain from their wires and then they have them removed.

Well, being a farm boy, I have done a little fencing. I thought from the x-rays that the Doc best spend some time down on the farm and learn about taking care of those twisted up ends. My top two give me grief, I think one may be broke as it sticks me on a regular basis, just as a reminder. So I am going to listen to the folks on this forum and go from there.
Every time I hit the metal detector the lights go right to the max, just before the wanders get buzzed or something? So I get a proceed with caution.

Can't they come up with dissolvable wires.

Almost - read about a sternum gluing procedure being test - in New Advancements - will be great if all goes well.

I am new to this forum, just now a year out from mitral valve repair. 11 days out from sternal wire removal. The surgery for wire removal is the best thing that has happened to me since my heart surgery. I had horrible pain, and had talked to my primary doc and cardiologists about removal and all they wanted to do was throw more pain medication at me. I had been very active prior to OHS and could hardly move the last couple of months. I contacted my surgeon, he saw me and immediately scheduled me to take all 9 wires out. I am very thin, you could see the wires under my skin as I moved and I could not stand anything touching my scar. It has even helped the back pain that I have had. There was a great deal of scar tissue around the wires, so most of my scar had to be opened up to retrieve them, but the few days of incisional pain and swelling were nothing compared to what I have put up with for the last few months. I can hardly wait to get out there and do the activities I have missed without worrying I will end up crying in agony. I too, was told that it does not always help the pain, but I was willing to take the gamble, and it has paid off. With a little physical therapy, I hope to be back cycling and snowboarding soon. Glad to find this group.

I am new to this forum, just now a year out from mitral valve repair. 11 days out from sternal wire removal. The surgery for wire removal is the best thing that has happened to me since my heart surgery. I had horrible pain, and had talked to my primary doc and cardiologists about removal and all they wanted to do was throw more pain medication at me. I had been very active prior to OHS and could hardly move the last couple of months. I contacted my surgeon, he saw me and immediately scheduled me to take all 9 wires out. I am very thin, you could see the wires under my skin as I moved and I could not stand anything touching my scar. It has even helped the back pain that I have had. There was a great deal of scar tissue around the wires, so most of my scar had to be opened up to retrieve them, but the few days of incisional pain and swelling were nothing compared to what I have put up with for the last few months. I can hardly wait to get out there and do the activities I have missed without worrying I will end up crying in agony. I too, was told that it does not always help the pain, but I was willing to take the gamble, and it has paid off. With a little physical therapy, I hope to be back cycling and snowboarding soon. Glad to find this group.

Lisa, Welcome and I am so glad that removing the wires helped you so much. I can't wait until he hear your first post after you went snowboarding and how great the day was.
I can picture exactly what you are talking about, my Mo was VERY thin too(5'2 and 86 pounds)and you could see almost every knot for the wires. I'm glad you didn't take your other doctors advice and contected your surgeon.

I also had all my sternum wires removed after my 2nd surgery. It was done outpt, no lovenox bridging, and I just felt very stiff the next day and a few days after that. Now that my swelling is gone from my 3rd OHS, the top of my scar is bugging me. the wire does stick out and kinda hurts my skin there.
but, I really don't feel I need all the wires removed so I'm still considering it.
If they really bother, have it done. It takes away the pain of the skin rubbing the wires.

Latest posts

Back