Staying the Course -- 8-10-2015

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
So much has been happening so quickly, I almost forgot that today is the start of a new Staying the Course Week.

So welcome to the new week! Stay the Course!

The past week, so many of you were very kind in commenting of my loss of Sadiedawg and your own losses of your beloved dogs. I greatly appreciate all that. I'm trying to look ahead now.

My walking is way off-track without Sadie's dedication to daily walking -- so I have to find new resolve. Walking solo is something I will have to learn again, so attached have I become to holding a leash. I might try my son's yellow lab next door, but Dasher is strong as a horse and not well trained to walk placidly, so I may just have to do it on my own.

There are the exercise machines and the pool in the community rec center -- those plus walking when the weather gets more fall-like. So I need to get to it instead of just talking about it. I would love to have an at-home exercise bike, but those are pricey new. Maybe a good one will turn up at a yard sale -- one that turned into a coat hanger and never got much wear and tear.

I am afraid to step on the scales -- all the stress, eating out, and lack of exercise -- I can feel the difference.

Maybe in September we ought to reinstitute a weigh-in -- maybe a monthly one, instead of weekly? Just a thought.

Meanwhile, cheers to all,

Superbob

I have not been staying any course except the one that leads lard assedness. My exercise is nonexistent. I am working a lot but that's not the same. Maybe a short stroll tonight. Maybe.

Bob I'm with you with not getting on the scales. I bought a WW scale, way to accurate!!!

Cooker, we stay the course but not always in a perfectly straight-arrow way.

I may be more willing to confront my expanding waistline in the fall than I am in August. I need some breathable days to get back into long walks. Signed up for the October Heart walk today so maybe that will help motivate me.

Take care, my Palmetto State bud.

Okay, understood, let's all mull it. Steve had mentioned the possibility of re-integrating some form of weigh-in, too. I don't know if we'd ever achieve the discipline and accountability that the Throwdown founder, The Chimp, brought to this. But here's a thought: Instead of a weekly weigh-in, we could do one the first of every month. Maybe there would be another degree of motivation from knowing that hey, come the start of the next month, I am scheduled to report back on what I have achieved over the past 30 days. What about Mr. Chimp himself leading us in a Throwdown Throwback Day for these events? (Could even do it on Throwback Thursday!) Hey, Mr. Chimp, none of this "bystander" stuff. You initiated the Throwdown and kept us focused (well, more or less) for nearly a decade. You are forever a part of this, no matter what.

Last edited:
Cooker;n857408 said:
I have not been staying any course except the one that leads lard assedness. My exercise is nonexistent. I am working a lot but that's not the same. Maybe a short stroll tonight. Maybe.

Bob I'm with you with not getting on the scales. I bought a WW scale, way to accurate!!!

And hey, Cooker, I know what you mean about those Weight Watchers' scales -- frighteningly accurate! There's something to be said for telling it not quite like it is. On the other hand, if we really want to be serious and dedicated about this....

PS to Pellicle: I took no offense at all to your observations in last week's STC. They were spot on. I was just clarifying something I had written.

Last edited:
I'm still here, too. I probably shouldn't be looking at the scale too intently because I am in the midst of the annual 3-week refurbishment period at my gym/health club. The only thing available for us "rocks" (non-swimmers) is the track, and my knees will just not accept running. So, for 2-3 weeks each summer, I just power-walk enough laps to do a couple of miles daily (I don't have time for more.). I try to supplement this with additional walks at lunchtime or after dinner, but somehow life (or the weather) seems to often get in the way of this extra exercise. So, I try to be more careful watching how much I eat. . . and you know how that usually goes. I'm still looking at the scale daily, but not as pleased with the numbers at the moment.

If we do re-instate a periodic weigh-in, though, I pledge to honestly report my results, no matter how I personally feel about them. After all, that is one of the original rules of the throwdown. (I do reserve the right to grouse about the numbers, though, if I am displeased with them.)

Didn't mean to leave Steven hanging out here as the last poster for so long -- been a hectic week. Today, took three grandkids and Big Mama to Brookgreen Gardens, one of the prettiest places on Earth, and we had a blast. Long walk through the zoo portion on a still hot and humid day made me realize I need to work seriously at getting in better shape. I took out a family memebership for a year -- will be going out there a lot to the gorgeous preserve of natural and art. Signed up for Heart Walk which is mid-October -- that's a motivator. Cheers to all, hope you are all having good weekend.

Hello everyone from on board the Royal Princess en route from Cork, Ireland to Liverpool, UK. Today we're doing a land tour that will take us to Wales, my husband's ancestral home. Yesterday we enjoyed Kerry county in Ireland...the "Ring of Kerry" and the Killarney National park. It's a beautiful, mountainous part of the Emerald isle. We started earlier in the week with a visit to London. I'm trying to watch my eating but on a cruise ship that can be a challenge since there are so many temptations. I'd favor a periodic weigh in on whatever schedule ...monthly, etc. There are photos and descriptions of our trip on my blog if anyone is interested in having a look. http://hardtoport.blogspot.com Everybody have a great week!

Jim

How handsome you gentlemen look in your tuxedos :) And you have a lovely narrative writing style, Jim. I truly wish I was there. Safe travels and thanks for sharing.

Hey, Jim, enjoyed your account of your travels on your blog, and the photos as well. Enjoy the rest of the tour, and we'll decide on the weigh-in procedure when you get back. The biggest obstacle is me -- literally, biggest = heaviest. Always been; it was an advantage when I played lineman in football, but that was eons ago. Embarrassing now to post the numbers -- but I've got to get past that. I know I have put on still more pounds without my sweet Sadie dog to summons me to the walking trails every day. Got to get back on track.

Latest posts

Back