Staying the Course -- 08--01-2016

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Just a quick starter --- welcome to August and a new Staying the Course week.

This will have to be quick -- making preparations to have cataract surgery, and then another round in a few weeks on the other eye. End result is supposed to be better eyesight, but probably for a time computer work will be limited.

Cheers to all....

SB, wishing you well with cataract surgery and recovery!

My exercising went completely off the rails last week. Too many time-consuming matters were clamoring for urgent attention and repair, one right after the other.

Should be climbing back on board the Staying the Course train this afternoon.

Hi SB, best of luck with the cataract surgery. Don't be surprise if you can see within 24 hrs. Of course, depending on which sight they get perfect, you may need reading glasses.

Like Catie, my execerise went off track too. OHS does that to ya. I was 181 into surgery, 193 peak, ab dynes morning 178, all in 10 days!

But I'm doing about two miles every day in .3 - .5 increments, not bad for an old guy with a new valve. Had to cancel my trip to at h my son on his 500 mile hike of the Colorado Trail. Instead, I watch his progress from my recliner. Here is a link to his plan and actual (green pins are his actual)

Hey, SB - I wish you the same results from your cataract surgery that my wife had. She went from very thick glasses and near blindness without them, all the way to only needing reading glasses occasionally. Her recovery seems to have gone very smoothly, although I know it was a lot of bother with the various drops she needed to use every so many hours, etc. Also, she did hers one eye first, then about a week later, the other. She wonders why she waited so long.

And. . . I'm a bit jealous now, as I still have to use prescription sun glasses, yet she is fine with over-the-counter stuff. Of course, like so many other things, some day my time at eye surgery may also come - just not yet.

indeed, it is close to miraculous --- left untreated, I could have eventually gone blind. Instead, I can see perfectly out of my surgically repaired eye, which has now swapped places with my previous "good" eye, which is now the "bad" one because it still has a small cataract. So if all goes well with surgery on my new "bad" eye in a few weeks, I will be able to cease using walking-around glasses for the first time since third grade or so. That is a long, LONG time ago, folks. I am a little lopsided now -- without glasses my good eye dominates, with current glasses my bad eye enables me to see fairly well enough to do minor chores....as you suggest from your wife's experience, Steve, there is a dizzying array of drops to take -- have to keep a chart just to be sure all are taken.....about time I finish the regimen for the first surgery, will start all over for the second surgery -- that'll be about a month of drops altogether. My prescription plan doesn't cover all of them but the wonderful eye surgeon's office has given me enough samples to probably get me through or close to it. Also have to wear a protective covering for the night, to prevent inadvertent rubbing of the eye. That's kind of awkward but necessary.

The lady eye surgeon is brilliant, and exceptionally caring. And yeah Steve, this being tied in with the aging process, your time may very well come. But it is not something to fear.

It sounds like you're right on track, SB! My wife had similar experience with unbalanced vision while between the first and second op. In her case, it was only a week or so, then both eyes were near-perfect.

I do expect that at some time I will need to have cataract surgery or something very much like it. I have a small growth on one cornea. We have been monitoring it for 10 years or so, and as long as it is stable, no surgery needed. In watching that, though, the doc did say that I have "pre-cataracts" which I take to mean that if I live long enough, I will probably develop cataracts and need to have them done.

Ah, getting old is not for sissies, is it?

Latest posts

Back