Spitting sutures

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I found out today I have at least one spitting suture on the scar of my sternotomy, is this common, and how is it normally treated?

Attachments

• 20231030_161322.jpg
    20231030_161322.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 50
If my chest looked like your picture above, I would immediately call my surgeon's office.

When I left the hospital 5 weeks ago after my sternotomy, the entire length of the sternotomy was closed. No visible blood or scabs. They had me take a picture of the scar, and they told me to call them if anything started leaking or if anything started hurting.

I hope everything goes well for you!

Hi I found out today I have at least one spitting suture on the scar of my sternotomy, is this common, and how is it normally treated?
To my eye that still looks normal. Especially since it requires such magnification to see.

It's not appearing to be bleeding or oozing or red and inflamed.

To be honest you should ask a Dr if concerned.

Good luck with recovery

Best Wishes

To my eye that still looks normal. Especially since it requires such magnification to see.

It's not appearing to be bleeding or oozing or red and inflamed.

To be honest you should ask a Dr if concerned.

Good luck with recovery

Best Wishes
A nurse practitioner at my surgeons office spotted it and clipped it shorter, but it still worries me.

If my chest looked like your picture above, I would immediately call my surgeon's office.

When I left the hospital 5 weeks ago after my sternotomy, the entire length of the sternotomy was closed. No visible blood or scabs. They had me take a picture of the scar, and they told me to call them if anything started leaking or if anything started hurting.

I hope everything goes well for you!
A nurse practitioner at my surgeons office spotted it and clipped it shorter, but it still worries me.

Ok, I think what you are saying is a suture, towards the bottom of your incision, was protruding slightly and the nurse “clipped it”. How recent was your surgery? Have you been picking at that pesky suture? If Im correct, personally I wouldn’t worry about it. The rest of the incision looks pretty good in your picture. But I’m not a doctor.

I had a piece of clear suture protruding at the bottom of my last incision and all I have now is scar tissue. Maybe I will start picking at it some more now.

Seriously, if you are concerned go see a medical professional.

if they're not worried I wouldn't worry.

Most of the stitches are internal (and dissolve) but there is only so far that they can stitch without exiting.

Some places are using glue now days.

Best Wishes

if they're not worried I wouldn't worry.

Most of the stitches are internal (and dissolve) but there is only so far that they can stitch without exiting.

Some places are using glue now days.

Best Wishes
They use glue on the skin, they use sutures below the skin in the muscles etc. It's one of the internal sutures that exited the skin as they used glue on my external incision.

so I'll believe the nurse practioner over random internet forum person
so tell me, why did you come to the internet, join a forum when you already had everything you already needed and dismiss what's been said?

Were you looking for something else?

... wait was it this?

Man: Good morning, I'd like to have an argument, please.
Receptionist: Certainly, sir. Have you been here before?
Man: No, this is my first time.
Receptionist: I see, well we'll see who's free at the moment.
Mr. Bakely's free, but he's a little bit concilliatory. No.
Try Mr. Barnhart, room 12.
Man: Thank you.

so tell me, why did you come to the internet, join a forum when you already had everything you already needed and dismiss what's been said?

Were you looking for something else?

... wait was it this?

Man: Good morning, I'd like to have an argument, please.
Receptionist: Certainly, sir. Have you been here before?
Man: No, this is my first time.
Receptionist: I see, well we'll see who's free at the moment.
Mr. Bakely's free, but he's a little bit concilliatory. No.
Try Mr. Barnhart, room 12.
Man: Thank you.
You are clearly the one who wants to argue, you contradicted what a medical professional told me, I mentioned this, you had a fit like a child and qouted a monty python skit, ignored.

Last edited:
You are clearly the one who wants to argue, you contradicted what a medical professional told me, I mentioned this, you had a fit like a child and qouted a monty python skit, ignored.
He loves to argue. He thinks he can't be wrong. So sorry, he has attacked me also on this message board. Just ignore him.

Latest posts

Back