Son's Echo this Week

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen Swan

My son is having his 3-month echo this Wednesday to follow up on his CoA repair and BAV progression. The last echo was good. His surgery to repair his CoA looks great and no signs of the aorta renarrowing. His BAV on the other hand, seems to have some slight tightness and what our card mentioned, "causing turbulence".

Does anyone know what they means in relation to longterm by chance? All we could get out of him is the possibility of repair later on down the road with an percutaneous balloon valvotomy. He didn't really have any answers on how long or what this means in terms of his BAV. Anyone had similar and know the results?

Cheers!

I think he was just referring to the general BAV symptoms now. So, maybe I was just looking too much into what he said.

"The design of the valve is such to allow non-turbulent, or laminar, flow across the aortic valve and into the aorta. In the case of a bicuspid aortic valve, there is congential fusion of two of those cusps. Because of the fusion, there is an increase in turbulent flow across the valve. This increased turbulence places an increased amount of stress on the valve, which in turn, leads to accelerated degeneration."

Hope everything goes well for your son, wil be thinking of you both,
Love Sarah xx

My son's echo was great yesterday. No signs of scaring from the surgery or narrowing on his aorta. His BAV also looks great and the turbulence in his valve actually went down. So, everything is looking great on his 3 months. Now, we just wait another 3 months to hit that 6 month mark to ensure everything is going smoothly.

Latest posts

Back