Sleepy or physically tired?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

I have seen a lot of people stating they are tired before surgery. I suffer from day time sleepiness and have sleep apnea with a cpap unit. Even with the unit I am still sleepy. I would like to change jobs but the last time I changed and went through training I about didnt make it out as I kept falling asleep. I am also physically tired. My arms and legs feel like they weigh a ton and my purse is very heavy feeling. So my question is, when you all say you are tired are you meaning you can't stay awake or you are physically tired? My thinking is the BAV and aortic stenosis can explain the heavy feeling but not the sleepiness. comments?

With me it was more fatique, weakness and total lack of energy rather than sleepiness. I would literally have spells where I just had to sit or lay on the floor because I didn't have the energy to stand up.
I slept and took naps more after my surgery.
Mark

If you had your CPAP machine for a long time, you may need to check if it's producing the right pressure. Or may need to adjust the pressure.

I was fatigued before my surgery, but not sleepy. I only become a bit sleepy when I need an adjustment of my thyroid medication. (I have label thyroid and staying on same dose is only effective for a few months).

If these are new symptoms, you need to inform your doctors. In the meantime, you may read these:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/192314-why-am-i-always-sleepy-tired/

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/ss/slideshow-fatigue-causes-and-remedies

Keep us informed.

Last edited:
I had both sets of "symptoms." (I use quotes because neither is among the "cardinal" symptom list of shortness of breath, fainting and chest pain.) I would get very fatigued during the day, sometimes needed a nap in the early evening, and slept a lot on weekends. Now, 2 1/2 years post-op, I'm older but sleep a more normal amount. I rarely feel that crushing fatigue and can easily make it through the day at full speed. My wife jokes that I still go to bed early, but I'm up at 4:30 AM to get to work.

I slept a lot before my AVR. I remember yawning on the way to work in the morning, drinking coffee morning, noon, and night, and going straight to the couch when I got home from work. I had very little energy. I was very, very sick and didn't know it (asymptomatic). I felt incredible in the weeks following my surgery. I hope this helps.

I had absolutely no symptoms before surgery. The first cardiologist thought I was lying to him, the current one took the time to question me, and told me my body had done a remarkable job of adapting to the defect.

I am one of the few that felt worse after the surgery than before. Since surgery, I have been taking more naps, and I like them. ;)

My situation was different. I had severe calcification and was diagnosed as have little or none. I told my doctors I felt like I was dying and did not sleep for years. I was told this was not possible. By not sleeping, I had little or no REM - dream like sleep. I was very very fatigued. I exercised by going for walks on a railroad bed that was turned into a walking trail until I could not recover from my walks. I lost twenty pounds and put it all back on. I felt dizzy, nausea, and very forgetful.

I "rested" all the time. I climbed the stairs to my apartment and lay on the bed awake 24/7. My heart felt enlarged. My heart was bounding. I had to be put under to sleep. And that was only during my first heart attack and surgery. I do sleep now and things are much better.

Back