Six days and a wake up.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scheduled for 7 a.m. on the 24th. BAV with a St. Jude's mechanical if all goes according to plan. I wasn't nervous until this week.....I may need some liquid courage to make the time fly :)

Hang in there. When I got close to "the day" I seemed to all of a sudden feel very calm. I realized that all of the decisions had been made and there wasn't anything else I could do to affect things. I just accepted the fact that I would "sign myself over" to my medical care team, and then the next time I would awaken I would be "on the other side of the mountain." Once I realized that I could no longer affect the outcome, I just got on with it.

Think of it this way -- if you didn't really need this surgery, you wouldn't be at this spot in the journey. You need it, and life will almost certainly be better after than it has been of late. I wasn't sure about this last part, as I had been quite active right up until the week before - including jogging daily, etc. Fast forward 3 1/2 years, past some crummy speed bumps in early recovery, and now life is truly better than it was in the year or two before surgery. No, I don't run any more, but that is no fault of my heart. (My knees won't take it any more.) I am still in the gym 5 days a week, and can do more of almost everything now than I could before.

You've done all the worrying you need to do. Just go with it now and come on out the other end and tell us about it. We will be here for you.

Steve has made some good points!
My wish for you is that this week flies by and before you know it you will be posting in the post-surgery forum.
All the best

Hey Cardinal fan, I'll be 24 hours behind you. I started out calm and am now getting nervous, maybe because I haven't fully made up my mind on choice of valve.

Best wishes for a quick and easy recovery.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. When I got work today, all heck broke loose, so I'll have plenty to occupy my mind. Planning a relaxing weekend in Chicago and then home Sunday and surgery on Monday!

Sounds like you have a great plan, Cardinal. You'll be on your way before you know it - and then it'll be over. As Steve said, it's best to trust your medical team and not worry about something you can't change.

Good luck!

I posted a "light" comment elsewhere but I wanted to chime in with the others. I was eerily calm in the days before surgery and it was mainly because I had done everything I could to prepare myself. It wasn't up to me anymore. The hard part was over(the watching/waiting/deciding) and I was ready to put it all behind me! The weekend trip sounds just like what the doctor ordered :)

Best wishes on your surgery. I'm sure you will do fine and it will be nice to have the worrying behind you and to focus on the recovery.

Back