Should I buy a step stool?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim B

This weekend I'm going to rearrange things at home to be within easy reach after surgery. I am thinking about getting a step stool with wheels so I can push it around the house with my foot and use it in various rooms. When I searched step stools on this site, it I just read about the Rubbermaid type that doesn't slide. Now I'm wondering if the kind with wheels might be too dangerous right after surgery.

If anyone used the Rubbermaid or another non-rolling type of stool, are they easy to move from room to room the first few weeks after surgery?

Also, for things not at chest level, is it uncomfortable to reach down to a lower shelf?

I'd highly recommend no step stools after surgery. Your balance is going to be off for a while or should I say, you'll get light headed standing and stretching. Better off to place needed items within easy reach, at least temporarily. You could go ahead and get one to use when your ready too, but immediately when you get home, not a good idea.

Try to place things at an even level. Sure it's inconvenient, but it's only temporary. Yes, stooping or stretching is very uncomfortable. More like downright painful.
A gallon of milk is going to make you wince.

I totally agree with Ross. When I cam out of hospital, my DH had put everything I might need - breakfast cereal, bread, cookies, coffee can and a whole bunch of other stuff on the countertop. It made a huge difference mentally, as I did not have to get hime every time I needed something.

Bending is, possibly, worse than stretching. And I laughed when I read the bit about the milk - I LOVE milk, and DH had to pour it out of the jug into smaller containers so that I could lift it!

I had one of those step stools long before my surgery, and don't recommend it the way you want to use it. It's a big enough step that you'll want to use a hand for balance, and that will negate the purpose (when you put weight on that hand).

I started cooking the 3rd week. My mother was around and could get things out of cabinets, but I must confess I cheated and pulled out pans. If you decide to cheat, don't lift anything questionable unless you can do it with your upper arm clamped to your side, so all the motion is with your forearm. My instructions were not to lift my arm above shoulder level, but I found I could get light things from lowest shelves by keeping my upper arm at shoulder level, standing on my toes, and reaching with my hand. But if you have the space, having things already in reach is the best way!

Good luck! Don't dread it too much--it's really a short period of inconvenience.

Get yourself one of those "reachers". I am not that tall and I have one on both levels of the house. I can grab things off the high shelves, and even use it to pick up branches and other debris in the yard.

Pharmacies have them, and possibly Walmart too.

I think a step stool is a bad idea as well. I worry more about a fall off of that than not being able to reach something. By the time I got home from the hospital, I can't think of anything that I wasn't able to reach for. Moving my arms like that didn't cause me any problems. The weight restriction may be more of the issue ( I was told not to lift anything heavier than 5 lbs for 6 weeks, a gallon of milk weighs 7 for reference.).

I think a lot of people are surprised at how much you are able to do. Most of us bounce back fairly quickly. Good luck to you.

Kim

Thanks all for the quick replies. I'm glad I read them before I went shopping today. I am really going to work on not expecting to figure out "workarounds" to my limitations. Nancy, I'll check into the reacher you mentioned. Sounds like it could come in handy for a while, then later maybe my 87 year old grandmother could find it useful.

This is such a great site and I really do appreciate all the support I'm getting here.

A gallon of milk is going to make you wince.

Gallon of milk? Heck, I couldn't lift a 16- to 20-oz glass container of iced tea at a restaurant the day after I left the hospital. Hurt too much. Had to request a foam cup instead.

It was at least 3-4 weeks, maybe longer, before I could lift a gallon of milk.

I have a little step stool that I need to stand on to put things in the microwave (one of those over-the-range things that is way too high for me). It's very light and I don't move it from room to room, just leave it in the kitchen. I didn't start using it until 2 weeks post-surgery, but it's been a good help with my husband back at work. If I didn't already have one though, I wouldn't have bought it just for this.

I have 2 Rubbermaid small step stools. One in the bathroom, one in the family room.
They were only used after a few weeks when I wanted to start looking after my turtle aquariums by myself.
We also bought small containers of milk, and small bottles of water.
We left some clean plates and bowls out on the counter.
Regarding the long handled reaching exension, hubby found one in the dollar store. It is fantastic.
I could pick up dropped socks, dropped pencils, etc. I still use it often, it's perfect for fishing out that object that will naturally fall between the washer and dryer.

Oh, one thing I did buy that has come in very useful is a loofah-on-a-stick, so that I can wash my feet, back, etc without bending over or reaching too much. Just a suggestion.

use nothing that gets your feet off the floor except your bed and your chair - for another 4-6 weeks. never know when dizziness takes over and you fall. don't want undo the blessed event.

Oh, one thing I did buy that has come in very useful is a loofah-on-a-stick, so that I can wash my feet, back, etc without bending over or reaching too much. Just a suggestion.

I have one of those too... and if you know someone with a shower chair that they are not using ask to borrow it... I'm almost 4 weeks post op and still using it.

Gallon of milk? Heck, I couldn't lift a 16- to 20-oz glass container of iced tea at a restaurant the day after I left the hospital. Hurt too much. Had to request a foam cup instead.

It was at least 3-4 weeks, maybe longer, before I could lift a gallon of milk.

i'm almost 4 weeks out and can't lift a gallon of milk yet... I will wait until it's half empty to have any. I don't like to ask for help. Hubby keeps yelling at me to use my words.

I had one of those step stools long before my surgery, and don't recommend it the way you want to use it. It's a big enough step that you'll want to use a hand for balance, and that will negate the purpose (when you put weight on that hand).

I started cooking the 3rd week. My mother was around and could get things out of cabinets, but I must confess I cheated and pulled out pans. If you decide to cheat, don't lift anything questionable unless you can do it with your upper arm clamped to your side, so all the motion is with your forearm. My instructions were not to lift my arm above shoulder level, but I found I could get light things from lowest shelves by keeping my upper arm at shoulder level, standing on my toes, and reaching with my hand. But if you have the space, having things already in reach is the best way!

Good luck! Don't dread it too much--it's really a short period of inconvenience.

I tried cooking my third week... Luckily my mom came to stay with us. I had her cut up the chicken (never realized how many chest muscles it takes). and open jars for me... As I began to cook (it was the first day I started rehab too), I started to fall asleep standing at the stove. I said "Mom, do this, this and this... (i was making chix alfredo), I need to go lay down."

The best thing to do is to get some family & friend to come over, sit back & ring a bell when you need something. I hope everything works out well for you. :D

Definitely do not buy the ones with wheels or whatever may make it slide easily...the rubber maid are actually light and can be slided with your foot but stable on the floor.

In my case, my sister stayed one month with me and by that time I was able to lift my arms up and down.

Latest posts

Back