shortness of breath

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawal

Hi There
How many of you have or still do experience shortness of breath after surgery? I am 7 weeks post op and feel shortness occasionally...but not necessarily with exertion. Can be noticed when I am just talking on the phone or some mild activity. I am able to walk and don't have any problems when I do.
My chest xray and recent dr visit went well...no fluid/etc.
How long was it until you didn't notice it anymore? Just wondering..
Amy

Amy - I really can't remember the date when SOB stopped hinting at reappearing. It just did. I would guess that time to be around 8 or 10 weeks but remember, we're all just a bit different, so yours may disappear at a slightly different time.

Amy, as long as they are not severe, you should not worry about them...you are still in the recovery phase. I still get SOB if I did not sleep/rest enough the night before. My cardio does not worry about them and he relates them to Toprol/Metropolol.

Last edited:
I don't get shortness of breath, but then I don't remember getting it all after surgery. I have been lucky in that regard, I guess.

its been 11 yrs for me so I can't recall. You are still too early to be past the shortness but it will pass. Unless you have other issues, but sounds like you are successfully over the mountain. Congratulations. Blessins..................
Amy[/QUOTE]

I think talking is under-rated as a CV activity, for those of us who are "good talkers"! In my Cardiac Rehab class, I walk (now walk-jog) timed-and-measured miles, and the difference in exertion (and huffing-and-puffing) when I'm walking and talking with somebody, vs. when I'm just walking, is HUGE! In the early weeks post-op, I think it makes sense that talking intently on the phone could be tougher on the breathing than walking.

When little kids are excited, they often talk in fits and starts, because talking excitedly non-stop gives them SOB. (We don't rush them to the ER for it, either!)

I'm at 6.5 months now, bicycling aggressively almost daily, and doing 3 miles of walk-jog (7:1) occasionally, all without any unusual SOB -- unless I'm talking at the same time!

Latest posts

Back