Shingles Vaccine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

Hi all....I'm not sure if this is "heart talk" or "small talk", but has anyone had any experience with the shingles vaccine? I am considering getting one, but don't know much about it. I had AOV almost 10 years ago for bicuspid valve and have a St. Judes. Thanks!:)

A friend asked me last week your same question. I looked it up on Mayo Clinic website and here is a brief, and the website if you like to look at it, hoping it is helpful to you and I hope others with experience will come forward and answer you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shingles-vaccine/AN01738

QUOTE:"
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that adults age 60 and older should receive the shingles vaccine (Zostavax), whether or not they have had shingles previously. The vaccine is not approved for use in adults younger than age 60. Also, adults with certain kinds of immune deficiencies should not receive the shingles vaccine.

....In a clinical trial involving thousands of adults 60 years and older, Zostavax reduced the risk of getting shingles by 51 percent in study participants who were vaccinated. In addition, it reduced the risk of postherpetic neuralgia by 67 percent in those who were vaccinated. ....

The shingles vaccine isn't recommended if you:

Have ever had a life-threatening allergic reaction to gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin or any other component of the shingles vaccine

Have a weakened immune system due to HIV/AIDS or another disease that affects the immune system

Are receiving medical treatments ? such as steroids, adalimumab (Humira), infliximab (Remicade), etanercept (Enbrel), radiation or chemotherapy ? which impair the immune system.

Have a history of cancer involving the bone marrow or lymphatic system, such as leukemia or lymphoma

Have active, untreated tuberculosis

Are pregnant or trying to become pregnant

In some cases, the cost of the shingles vaccine may not be covered by Medicare or insurance. Check your plan." UNQUOTE

My sister had a terrible time w/shingles two years ago & every now & then, she says that she has twinges in her back & chest & she's terrified that they might come back. So, a few weeks ago, she went & got her shot & had no bad reaction to it at all. In fact her doctor advised her that it wasn't a bad idea for her to get one.

I received the shingles vaccine last year after many outbreaks. I had no problems with the vaccination and have had no more outbreaks. I did have to pay for it; I think it was a little over $100, but it was well worth it.

The protection is worth the price

The protection is worth the price

Al and I both got the shingles vaccination several years ago...long before Medicare started covering it. We have had several friends who suffered with shingles so we were very happy that we might be able to avoid shingles with a simple vaccination. I think we paid $160.00 each. That does seem high, but that was when it first came out.

Sine we got our shots, our neighbor got shingles. I think she is still suffering with it. She could not take the vaccine.

Kind regrds,
Blanche

Latest posts

Back