Sensory Associations?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstallard

The very first thing I did when I got home from the hospital was take a shower. Well...technically it was more like a sponge bath standing up, but close enough. Anyway, every time I walk in that bathroom now and catch the smell of the silicone tub sealant, I instantly think of my surgery/recovery. The association is surprisingly strong, and I don't get that anywhere else. I wonder if that smell was also present in the hospital and I just don't remember it.

Anyone else have something like that happen?

Smell is the most evocative of the senses, something about the pathway to the brain being the shortest. For me it's the smell of the hand disinfectant that everyone used in the hospital. I work in a hospital now and anytime I go near one of the wards and catch a whiff of that smell it brings it all back! I'm not sure I even noticed the smell of the disinfectant when I was in for my OHS's . . . .

My ops were in 2010 and 2011 and I'm starting to think I'll always have this association with hospital disinfectant!

I was instructed and given a supply of Dial Soap, which is a brand in the US to use for showers. Everytime I smell it, it reminds me of the surgery. And there a was a song that was very big at the time of my surgery and everytime it comes on the radio, I think of the surgery.

Latest posts

Back