Second AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussiePete

Hi I've been reading lots about valve options and would value comments about my particular situation.
My history
- fell on my head as 2yo - hospital - he has a heart murmur
- 12yo fainted in 200m running race - hospital - definite heart murmur go to cardiologist
- cardiologist - yes aortic heart murmur - see me every two years
- age 30, had to find new cardiologist as old one retired
- new cardiologist had an echo machine! BAV Moderate to severe AR plus a 20mm diameter mixoma (tumour) in one of the heart chambers
- surgery to replace aorta with homograph aortic valve and root and remove tumour. Had to go back to surgery due bleeding - was very tough recovery
- full recovery after three months - perfect result
- 2 yearly check up with cardiologist - very healthy, very active - surfing, soccer, small kids, working hard (engineer), flying light aircraft
- age 43 ascending aorta starts enlarging very slowing
- last visit to cardiologist ( July 2015) valve has started to deteriorate ( mod to severe AR), ascending aorta now 52mm diameter
- visit two surgeons - one is the one who last did my surgery (71yo and still operating) recommends tissue valve basically believes I tolerate them well as last one lasted 21 years. Second young gun surgeon tells me mechanical is best at 53 ( my current age)

Questions I am chewing over,
- which valve!
- which surgeon - 71 yo is one of most highly regarded in country and has a helper - not sure about young gun as he told me onyx not available in my country which I have checked is not true - do some have deals with specific suppliers?

Ps tumour never grew back

AussiePete;n858683 said:
Hi I've been reading lots about valve options and would value comments about my particular situation............
........Questions I am chewing over,
- which valve!
- which surgeon - 71 yo is one of most highly regarded in country and has a helper - not sure about young gun as he told me onyx not available in my country which I have checked is not true - do some have deals with specific suppliers?

-which valve! It depends on whether you want another surgery in your 70's(?)......or take a pill a day.
-which surgeon! 71 ain't old anymore.......more like the new 61.....or younger.
-deals! Maybe, but may just be more comfortable with certain valve types.

You've "been around the block" concerning OHS. Consider the pros and cons of each valve type and go with your choice.

BTW. warfarin ain't nearly the bogey man it's been made out to be......and I personally don't want to "go under the knife again".

Latest posts

Back