Scar Improvement.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petros

I have been recomended by a well-known plastic surgeon to use Cica-Care (Silicone Gel Sheeting) on my scar. I would like to hear any possible comments on above product.
I have been using a lot of other creams but without any results. After one and half year since my operation, my scar is now raised, red and itching.
Any replies will be mostly appreciated.

I have been recomended by a well-known plastic surgeon to use Cica-Care (Silicone Gel Sheeting) on my scar. I would like to hear any possible comments on above product.
I have been using a lot of other creams but without any results. After one and half year since my operation, my scar is now raised, red and itching.
Any replies will be mostly appreciated.

I used Cica-Care for about 4 months but didn't see much of a difference. I recently read somewhere that sometimes it has to be kept on for a year and also there somehow has to be something pressing it towards your skin.

I used a similar product but after a month it caused too much itching for me. In that time, I did notice that the raised portion was somewhat flatter, and lighter in color, but actually that made the scar seem larger somehow.

I have had the best luck with acupuncture and massage. Have you been massaging the scar at all? My understanding is that the hypertrophied scar (that is what you have, hypertrophied skin) is confused about its healing. So if you massage or get acupuncture to the sight, it will re-ignite the healing and proper blood flow and improvements may occur. Acupuncture is too expensive for me, but after 4 treatments, the area she was working on definitely improved, but that took several months to notice (and that, way after the treatments!)

I try to massage mine daily. It still hurts to do so, so I cover it with a cloth as I work, and don't spend too much time on it. A circular motion.

We all know someone in these medical branches. You might want to talk to an acupuncturist or massage therapist before you shell out massive money on the Cica Care. Of course, if it's covered by insurance....give it a try!

There are quite a few of us here with frustrating scars! Please keep us posted on what works for you. It's great info to be sharing.

Best wishes

Marguerite

I used a similar product but after a month it caused too much itching for me. In that time, I did notice that the raised portion was somewhat flatter, and lighter in color, but actually that made the scar seem larger somehow.

I have had the best luck with acupuncture and massage. Have you been
I try to massage mine daily. It still hurts to do so, so I cover it with a cloth as I work, and don't spend too much time on it. A circular motion.

We all know someone in these medical branches. You might want to talk to an acupuncturist or massage therapist before you shell out massive money on the Cica Care. Of course, if it's covered by insurance....give it a try!

There are quite a few of us here with frustrating scars! Please keep us posted on what works for you. It's great info to be sharing.

Best wishes

Marguerite

Hi Marguerite and thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I can not even imagine any needles on my scar... It's so sensitive! I will give Cica Care a try and I hope that it will work. The plastic surgeon also recommends a massage with a "pressing" motion on the scar. Moreover, he informed me that it would be better to use Cica-Care the soonest possible as it will work better if the scar is not too old.
I will keep you posted.

Me too. I have used similar product, but I am noticing that my scar since it is flatter, it is wider too. I am not sure if it will fade more with time.

I have had great results at my dermatologists office. For the keloid, she injected it with steriods, and it is now flat. The injection hurts, but not as bad as the pain you've had, and it is so worth it. After the keloid goes down it is no longer itchy. Then for the redness I had v-beam laser treatments every 4-6 weeks. I went for three treatments and my scar has noticeably faded. It's not gone, but it is much lighter and something I don't feel I have to cover up anymore. I could actually use one more beam treatment, but once summer ended and it wasn't showing as much anyways, I never made another appt., but keep thinking I should go back. I am really happy with the appearance of my scar now compared to how it looked before. I tried all kinds of creams, even prescription ones, and nothing worked and only made my scar itchy and irritated.

Latest posts

Back