Running Progress

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kim,

I didn't start running for 2-1/2 years post surgery. Even after running a bit, I still felt like I might be too fragile, that maybe running wasn't a good idea. It wasn't until VR.com's stories of Les and Mark, that my attitude changed. A whole new world opened up. The encouragement from you and everyone on this site are like a finish line in view and the wind at my back. :)

I finally got around to posting my story in the "stories" section. Thanks Hank. Here's the executive summary: After 245 miles and 40 pounds, my health and fitness have never been better at any time in my adult life........and getting even better every day. :cool:

Aren't the zoo and the National Cathedral in the Georgetown area? I seem to recall it's pretty hilly, and beautiful.

Mark,

I will love to see what happens when you get to NYC on the map. Maybe you'll get a pop up on your screen with a free trip to the Big Apple! :D

Be sure that the National Cathedral is one of your "must-see" places in DC. :):):)

Thank you, guys. Sometimes I miss Washington, then other times I don't. I love the small community I live in now.

Mark, you'll love the experience of running in DC. Seeing the monuments while you run is extraordinarily inspiring. My favorite is running (or driving) over the Memorial Bridge. You'll see what I mean.

God bless,
Kim Caroline

The weather in Dallas area is spectacular today. 65F and sunny. Winds 5-10. A great day for running. I added 2 miles to my longest run, and kept the same pace: 15 miles at 11 minute pace.

I'm learning more about nutrition and hydration.
I need to take better care of my toe nails.

Mark, at 260 miles, I'm not hot on your tail, but I'm surely on your trail. :D

Hey Tom, maybe I'll meet you on the way back! :D

As far as hydration is concerned, here is a couple of suggestions. The web site where you log your miles, (that shows on the map) ... go to their catalog, and you will find a hydration belt. There is one that has 4, 6oz plastic flasks that attach to an elastic belt, and also has a small pocket to store a key or place a gel or power bar. I prefer gels, because the chocolate melts, and sports bars taste like something you might find in the cow pasture! Usually I pick up power gels at Big 5 and any run over 12 miles, I take one and squeeze it down at the halfway mark. When I run, I divide my long runs by 5 and at each of those points, I take in one of those flasks filled with gatorade or poweraid; with the 5th and last part of the run being my house or car; where I have a water bottle filled with the same. If the run is less than six miles, I just take a water bottle with sports drink and leave it in my car for the 'post run.'

Another suggestion ... I talked to my neighbors, and along my runs I stash a water bottle with gatoraid in their paperboxes, then pick it up after a couple of miles and drop it off in another. (that works if your running a circle or a short out and back)

Just a couple of ideas. Sound like your doing great. If you have not already, do suscribe to Runners World. Lots of good suggestions. They also have a great web site, and forums to post and get questions answered and good running support.

Keep it up my friend. I did 10 miles the other day. I really felt great and did not push. 1 hour 37 min. I think my dog is getting me in shape! ... Mark

Mark,

Thanks so much for the tips. It's really helpful. I've read a bunch of websites. They're pretty helpful as well. That's were I got info to develop a training program.

Yesterday's run was (3) 5-miles loops that brought me past my house each time for about 3-4 oz of gatorade. I actually stopped and walked around in front of the house for about 1/2 minute. It seemed like a got a pick-up in a couple of minutes, but in only lasted a mile or 2.

I've seen web sites that suggest hydration every 15-20 minutes (about 2 miles). I'd like to try that. I saw the hydration belt on the website. Do they bounce and slosh around at all?

I had been running on an empty stomach until a few weeks ago when the 10 mile run wiped me out. Yesterday, ate a piece of bread with peanut butter 1 hour prior. So far my stomach has tolerated the PB and gatorade real well. Haven't tried gels or power bars yet. I'll try the gel for my next "longest" run. I have no interest in eating melted cow manure :)

10 miles at 10 minute pace.........sounds great!

Thanks again.

Too Tom, Les and the rest of the VR runners?

Too Tom, Les and the rest of the VR runners?

Hi Tom,
In answer to your question: No they don't slide around or slosh. The elastic adjusts to a comfortable firm position around your waist held by velcro. There great. They were selling some with 6 flasks, but I have not seen them lately in the catalog. During marathons, you have water stops about every two miles. You see well over 50% of the people walk through water stops, but I try to play that 'macho' garbage, and usually end up walking for 10 to 20 seconds through my water stops after mile 19 when my knees are screaming at me. :(
One other thing Tom, Les, and the rest of you runners, their is a marathon in WA DC in March of 2005. You know what I think ... we should all run it the same time. It would be a great way to promote heart health awareness and the VR site. I am sure we could get some coverage media coverage, raise some money for charity, and anyone else would be more then welcome to join from the VR site. So what do you think RUNNERS? One year to train for it!

..... Mark

Hey,Mark....WA DC....hmmm, could be interesting. Be kind of nice to pound some of the pavement our taxes pay for! Of course,I am all for promoting health and active lifestyles for all "valvers" and this could be one of the ways to do just that. Anyone interested, let's keep in touch about this....

Valvathoners

Valvathoners

Mark,

Thanks for the response about the waist packs. I'll look for one.

In regards to March 2005 DC marathon, I still get chills thinking about how far I've come, but how far away a marathon is. I've actually dreamed a bit about Dallas White Rock Marathon "Run the Rock" in December 2004. I don't want to push this 49 year old body too fast. I figure that if I can keep improviong at the current rate it could happen. I need to get some miles behind me before the summer heat.

A group marathon sounds absolutely fantastic. Ya know that there are two more of you "valvathoners". Ron Ploger ran the Portland Marathon in Oct 2003 and Kathleen Scully ran the New York City Marathon in Nov 2003. Both are on the St Jude website. BTW Ron has a pacemaker as well.
http://www.sjm.com/successstories/successstoryresults.aspx?ci=7&pi=12&ai=0&gi=0

I know the impact that you and Les have had on me. Can only imagine how many other people could be encouraged, that have never heard of VR.com, and don't know the possibilities.

Hi Mark, Tom et al

Great to hear of your progress and achievements - I'm hanging on to the memories of past runs to keep me inspired as I wait for sugery in the next couple of weeks...

Tom, I ran the Dallas Whiterock marathon a couple of times when we used to live in Fort Worth. I seem to remember it being a two lap circuit and reasonably flat around the lake.

Talked to a friend John in New Zealand on Sunday who had Ross Procedure in May 2000. Was back running in 3-4 months and is about to compete in the Rotorua Marathon in May - first since surgery but 13th Rotorua! He and I used to have some ding-dong battles over 10 ks ten years ago...

I'm certainly hoping to get back running post-surgery. Am struggling to walk up hills at present! We are in the process of adopting a greyhound (through the GAP programme) and "Chana" will hopefully help my rehab. though I think she may possess a little more speed than I do!

Good to keep in touch - maybe i can one day log some 'miles' across the pacific and we could meet in Hawaii for the Honolulu marathon!

Kind regards

Grant

PS It's a pleasant 80 deg today and fine down under!

Grant,

Good to hear from you.
I sent you a PM....crossed in cyberspace.

The "Rock" now starts at the new American Airlines Center near the West End. I meanders up through the Turtle Creek area past SMU, and cuts over to White Rock Lake. Once around the lake and back to the AA center passing pretty close to Baylor Hospital.

DC? Honolulu? hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

:D

Hmmmm past Baylor Medical Centre? Spent 6 months there as a Chaplaincy intern while studying at Southwestern Baptist Seminary...

Sounds like an interesting new course for the marathon.

Regards

Grant

Hi Everyone,
Simon Gee is also a marathoner and was talking about doing the London marathon this Spring on an earlier post. That will be his second.
Kathleen Scully called me before the NYC marathon. It was an interesting call. I am not sure if she has ever posted here with VR, but I did tell her about the site.
Now we will have to come to an agreement here ... DC in 2005, Honolulu in 2006????????????? My wife could deal with a vacation in Hawaii!

Mark

Hi Grant,
I just thought I would mention my dog Zen, the border collie I adopted in November. At first I was worried he would slow me down. Let me tell you, he actually has improved my times. I find myself giving commands and talking to him while I run; and where he really wants to go that first mile it has helped not only in my times, but in the fatigue factor. I run him up to 8 miles, and am quite certain he could run a few more, but I worry about his hydration, and being hit by a car. Where I train, after 8 miles the road narrows with very little shoulder.
Good luck with your greyhound, just hang on! :D

Mark

PS Keep us posted on your upcoming surgery. "God be with you."

Mark,

Have you ever considered a career in sales?:D I feel my arm "gently" twisted .... like it needs a lot of twisting.

I'm gonna take one at a time. That's the way I approach the training. That's the way I'll approach the goals too. This is all still a bit over my head. I would prefer to start with a local marathon in Dallas (December 2004). Then we'll see about March. It's a great idea, and will be a great event. I appreciate the invitation.

Next step Cowtown 10k this weekend.

I hear White Rock is a good marathon. I met a lady online whom has run that marathon a few times now. The reality is, you most likely would be really pushing it to run two marathons that close together. Recovery time after your first marathon (especially at our age) can be tough. I did okay after my second marathon, but my first ... my knees hurt for 6 weeks, and the first month was pretty painful while running. That's okay Tom, their is plenty of marathons, and push to hard to fast, and you can find yourself on the sidelines for quite sometime.

In between marathons, I try to keep a 4 mile every other day base, with no more then 8 to 10 miles on my long runs. That 17 weeks before a marathon gives me all the mid and long runs I want.:D In between marathons, if I plan fun runs of 5-15k distance, I base my long runs on what I am training for and what's up next. I really think it is important to have a goal race or fun run in front of you. It keeps you out their running when you really would rather sit in your lazy boy with a remote in your hand.
More advice ... (whether you want it or not) ...have different courses to run. I run 4 different routes, some more challenging then others. I even flip a coin to pick which one I'll take. It kills the boredom and gives you some variety. You have a good base now Tom. If you have a base of 4 or 5 miles, and you have been running that distance consistantly for 4 months, just pick your marathon and give yourself 16 to 20 weeks depending on the training program you go with. I use the beginners marathon training plan from the Runners World web site. It has not failed me yet. Good luck. Mark :cool:

Mark,

All advice is welcome anytime. I very much appreciate your assistance. There is much to learn. Correction is appreciated as well. If you see me posting something stupid, feel free to bump me upside the head (not too hard, please - I bruise easily). And watch the editorials about age, young man!;)

Yes, the recovery time after a first marathon weighs on me. I would love to do it all. Dallas, DC, St Louis, Chicago, NY, Honolulu, Estes Park. But hold on there. One thing at a time. So far, in the large scheme of things I'm still so very early on the path, and a marathon is a dream. I've got some reality ground to cover first - literally - including some more weight loss, and continued discipline. But the seed is surely planted.

I adapted my training program from http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_start.html
I modified it to run only 3 days per week instead of 4. That extends the time, but gives me more time flexibility. I also extended the "mileage build up schedule" phase to get me to 20-milers before graduating to "marathon training schedule". I should reach 20 miles about the same time as my next cardio follow-up late next month. I'll check in with him as well before I move to the next level.

I want to stay in the game. I was already sidelined by hernia surgery last fall. Between now and December, there is plenty of time to recover from a setback, should another one happen. There's also plenty of time to have some fun. In the meantime, I want to get as many miles behind me as I can before the summer heat.

My heart is saying "Go for it". My body is saying "Please take care of me". My brain is saying "Are you nuts?" My wife is saying "Be home for dinner.":D

Latest posts

Back