Running Progress

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Since the 5k run in early December, I've been steadily adding speed and distance.

I thought that I had overdone it a couple of weeks ago with a 10 mile run in just over 10 minute pace. I was real sore for a few days and had some PVC's at rest. The doctor said not to worry unless I have rythm problems during exercise. They have gone away. I think it was the pace that did it to me.

I have been running three days per week. I'm scaling back a bit, due to weather, work, and family. If I only get in two runs per week, I'll be content. I try to run once per week for speed and once every other week for distance. The other runs are purely for fun (and to lose weight).

I experiment with breathing, stride and nutrition. Having a blast.

Here are this week's numbers:
Wednesday ran 10k in just over 9 minute mile pace.
Today ran 13 miles in just under 11 minute mile pace.

Here are "lifetime"(since May 2003) numbers:
Walk 250 miles
Run 220 miles
Weight loss 40 lbs

All of these numbers are staggering for me. Heck 6 months ago I couldn't run 100 yards without gasping for air and taking a long nap. For 16 years with a damaged valve, and for 2 1/2 years after AVR, I never dreamed that any of this would be possible.

I thank all of you for posting your stories and your words of advice and encouragement. They are truly inspiring. I would never have attempted running at this level without knowing that others have already done it and more.

Thorlo socks are about the greatest thing since sliced bread. My old cotton socks would have left me with blisters after 5 miles. Campmor has Tholos on sale when you buy 2 pair. www.campmor.com I guess I'm hooked - I get jazzed about socks.

I'm gearing up for Cowtown 10k in Fort Worth at the end of the month. Hope to finish with 9 minute pace. I'm close now. I've got 3 weeks.

Great going Tom! You are definitely hooked ( and jazzed about socks!) Incredible progress and dedication. The 10K will be a breeze for you. Keep on!

Way to go, Tom!

Way to go, Tom!

Tom -

Good to see your post. Congrats on the progress! I know about "jazzed;" I experience the same enthusiasm for some pretty simple things. I think it must be from that sense of accomplishment that comes when you start from a point where you think you are "too far gone."

After a good workout, I think back on those post-op days when my wife took me for walks around the shopping mall. 1-2 loops and I was exhausted. That remains my baseline reference point. I'll never make it to the front of the pack, but I delight in every little incremental accomplishment and improvement in performance. And no matter how badly I've been dropped, I'm satisfied every time I cross a finish line.

Keep those posts coming!

Les/Bill,

Thanks for the encouragement. This morning, I'm a little stiff, but incredibly not sore at all. Its amazing how a 49 year old body can recover from years of neglect and mistreatment.

Les, "breeze" is an interesting choice of words. Yesterday was more than breezy, it was downright windy 50F SSE 20-30. I almost didn't run. Of course, I'm glad I did. Winter running is tough, but I will keep working through it.

Bill, you hit some nails on the head with both the "mall" story and the incremental accomplishments. Back in the "breathe-walk-nap stage, my wife and I would mall walk. With a winter surgery, I was grateful to get out of the house. Each walk was followed by a long nap.

I'll never make it to the front of the pack either, but the accomplishment curve is still pretty steep. Its a very rewarding feeling to do something that I've never done before.

Thanks again.

Winter? 50F? That's summer weather here in Chicago. I used to run outdoors any time the temp was above 15 degrees. . .

That was then, this is now. I'm an indoor treadmill junkie, and I'm just thrilled to hear of your dedication and success, Tom. Competitively, we're in the same league -- only you're on the building side, post surgery and I'm on the watching side, waiting for surgery. In either case, I'm a firm believer that exercise is one of the few things we can do to improve our physical quality of life, no matter when.

Keep it up! Gives me something to look forward to.

What an inspiration you guys are!

I've never been able to run any distance over a mile, not even in high school, without collapsing in a heap! Now I know that it was my AV that was limiting me, and I'm looking forward to post-surgery. I don't know if I will run or not (after all, my knees are 49, too!) but I may give it a try.

I'm looking forward to being able to get back on my mountain bike and riding again. For now, I'm settling for a one-mile walk each day, at a very slow pace, just to get some exercise and fresh air here in the waiting room. Steve still hasn't gotten us any new magazines, so walking is the best way to pass the time! :p

But I won't be here much longer, and then I hope to be able to *brag* about times and distances too - whether on the bike, rower, or my own two legs.

Yes, Steve, 50F is winter here-in the middle off the day. I miss those 5am August temps of 85F+. Coldest for me was a couple of weeks ago in the low 20's. Brrrrrrrr.

Bill, I never did anything close to this amount of running at any time in my life.
PS....my knees are 49 also.

Just got back from running. I hate to tell you guys, but it's 74 deg. here in Sarasota. Days like this remind me why I left Indiana...

Mark
:D

Mark,

I've lived in Connecticut, St. Louis, and Chicago.
Dallas is great.
I love fetching the newspaper barefoot in the middle of winter.

I just looked at your profile.
We are close to twins. :D
I'll update mine in a minute.
Kind of eerie.

Did you enjoy running pre AVR?

Tom,

I ran some prior to my surgery. When I lived in Rochester, NY, in the late 70's I was active in the local track club and ran a lot of 5K and 10K road races.
Kind of got away from running and played a lot of tennis for a number of years.
I've always been a weightlifter and about two years prior to my AVR I got up to a 300lb bench press. The heavy stuff is all in my past now. I'm trying to do enough to stay toned, but really am more focused on my triathlon aerobic cross training.
I envy your weight loss. I'm down about 10 pounds in the past year, but would really like to drop another 20 or so...

Mark

:)

Used to run [jog]

Used to run [jog]

Hi:

Reading all of your stories makes me jealous as I can't tolerate plain jogging anymore. Used to run 40-50 miles a week and all of it outdoors. even when it was dead of winter. Had some great strap-on cleats for my running shoes.

An attack by a loose german sheperd dog put me inside on the treadmill. I'm scared of all dogs and the moose in my neighborhood scare me, too.

Ran a half-marathon once. Maybe when my tricuspid valve is replaced, I'll be able to jog again. For now, I am stuck with the fat burn program on the treadmill and oh yes, 15 mins. on the healthrider, too.

Keep on running those miles for me!

You 'Rock' Tom! Way to go. It is amazing when you look back where you started. Just today I logged my miles to see where I am at on the map, with my San Diego to New York City treck. I just entered Pennsylvania in the last week. January 1st 2002 I began running, and I am now at 2,060 miles. Whew! Keep it up, and in no time you will be running 'Big Monster' 26.2 mile marathon! You have plenty of fans and support on this site. ... Mark

Sometimes it amazes me how sport fans feel like they themselves have actually won something when all they did was watch.

Well, I kinda feel like that about all you runners out there. I read your posts and about your progress and I get excited just as I do when my favorite basketball team scores a basket. I like feeling like I am part of the action out there!

I say this with all honesty Betty, you are out their running with me along with all other heart patients on this site. Les's story told me it was possible...God's spirit and hope gave and continues to give me strength... and the people on this site helps me put one foot in front of the other. I only hope that in a small way I have been able to give back just a portion of the encouragement you have all freely out of love and kindness given me. This surgery has shown me how fragile and quick life can change or end. We all have been given a second chance, whether we take it or waste it... the choice is ours. All of us have something to give. Some hope through athletic achievement, others voluteering their time, others with just a smile and kind word. God forgive us if we toss the second chance into the waste basket.

'Peace' my friend ... Mark

Betty,

Mark posted exactly how I feel - word for word. One of my favorite bible passages is Romans 5:3-4

"3.... but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope."

Mark,

After 6 months, I'm running "in Arizona". I don't suppose I'll ever catch up, but that doesn't really matter. Just as we are all in different "places" in our dealing with life's challenges, we are also in different "places" in dealing with life's bessings.

But I feel that we are all on the same path, and there is a rope binding us all together. And if we hang onto that rope, we help each other along. That rope is our hope and faith and love. It is God's gift. Sometimes, all we can do is hang on. Sometimes we can pull.

God bless.

It will be fun to track your progress Tom! I just wonder what will happen when I reach NY City. If it will track me back ... I guess we will find out. :cool:

Tom, Mark, et al.

I used to run 5 miles/4x week at 5am on the tow path outside of Georgetown in DC. (Does anyone know this area?) I did this with my husband for several years. Before my recent pregnancy, I was running 4 miles/4x week on the beach.

I can no longer run without becoming exhausted then gasping for air. This is still new to me, but I've finally accept the limitation. My cardio recommends walking, which makes me feel a zillion years old.

Reading your posts gave me hope that one day (post-op), I'll be able to return to running. I can bike and rollerblade, so all things considered, I'm doing OK.

Best to all,

Kim

Hi Kim,
Hang in their Kim. I tell you it is amazing the difference I felt one year after my surgery. Before my surgery, running a marathon was only a distant dream (I mean a far away distant dream) in the back of my mind. In time you will most likely be pounding the pavement again.
In March of 2005 I plan on running the Washington DC marathon. My daughter now lives in Virginia so I am really looking forward to seeing the capitol for the first time , and all the cherry blossoms out in full. Enjoy your long walks. It does not matter what form of excercise we get as long as where moving and not rusting!

:D Mark

Latest posts

Back