Runners and Joggers - 5 miles today - week 5

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGymGuy

Ok, I almost never run, it is not a part of my regiment. Pushing prowler, pulling trucks, Kettlebells, Olympic lifts - all of these, maybe, but running is not it.
Still, I used to run during 2006 and parts of 2007 and worked up to 30 minute 5k's and 67 minute 10k's.
I, also, used to do 5k every workday morning or so, about 15 miles per week for about 3-6 month while dropping some body fat.

Ok, ok. Why am I sharing this? I jogged for 3 minutes yesterday and did not even feel my sternum, I covered about .3 miles.

Today, Thursday, is the day when I do something more than the week before. Last week I speed-walked 4miles in 57 minutes. So, today I did 5 miles in 1hr 1 minute. Here is the link: http://runkeeper.com/user/thegymguy/activity/85629189?&mobile=false

Basically, I did 40 intervals at 30 seconds jog/run and 60 seconds speed walks. That is 90 second intervals and 40 of them. This got me an hour of exercise and exactly 5 miles.
Too lazy to do the math, but basically it was total time of 20 minutes running and 40 minutes speed walking that added up to 5 mph.

So, why am I so giddy. This is something that I have not done in years and my limiting factor today was not lungs, not heart (HR of 120-140 was observed) but my adductors and even quads ;)

To the runners here, at least for me, week 5 is when you can jog or maybe even sooner, and do not be surprised if it feels awesome.

Vadim

Attachments

• Photo May 03, 11 16 39 PM.jpg
    Photo May 03, 11 16 39 PM.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 116
Actually, I was told not to try to run until 6 weeks and even then it was quite a struggle even though I had been doing over 1,000 miles a year prior to OHS. What you're feeling is half physical, half mental. The slow release of endorphins during aerobic exercise, plus extra adrenaline which comes at the end of any big success.

I also noticed that My breathing was my limiting factor befor my surgery and now its my legs. I am already faster than before surgery at 7 months. The funny thing was the first time I set a parsonal adult record after surgery I felt like I hadn't pushed myself to hard.

Jack, I think we have another runner here! That is a great workout at week 5! Keep it up!

SumoRunner, I get no better "high" than from exercise. ;) As an athlete you know this as well as I do. Our monster is our addiction and it's not a bad one to have.

My sternum has been feeling pretty good, I sleep on my side, my belly, etc. I am not a reckless athlete, so I try things out a little, give it time, if the stimulus produces desired results I rinse and repeat until the desired stimulus cannot be reproduced. How this applies to my recovery is what you have been seeing for past 5 weeks. I increase the stimulus every thursday (once a week) after getting the most I can from previous week's stimulus.

There is a RAW 600+lb deadlift record that I would like to set in the US in the 198lb class 30-34 y/o. I currently hold the 100% RAW US Record with my 589lb deadlift. I have just about 12 month to do it, and current training, even if it's just speed-walking and interval training with jogging not sprinting is getting me closer to my goal of getting back to the gym by speeding up my recovery.

Today is my gym day and I have lunges, cable squats, leg curls, and leg extensions. I will do some abs if I have time. Counting minutes till I can go there.

Last edited:
Vadim, I just love reading your posts, but darn guy you make me feel like a slug......:wink2: Keep up the great work.

Slugs need exercise too ;) I consider daily walking/slithering around (do slugs slither or is it just snakes?) a very good form of activity if you ask me.

Slugs need exercise too ;) I consider daily walking/slithering around (do slugs slither or is it just snakes?) a very good form of activity if you ask me.

Truth be told, I had been exercising religously 5 days out of the week. Cardio/light weights until April 24th, when I stepped into a hole that my dog had dug in the back yard and torn the ligament in my left ankle:eek2: Now in a brace w/snazzy cane for the next 4 weeks (no dogs were hurt or killed in the making of this disaster). In any case, I am truly looking forward to putting weight back on my foot and starting up my exercise routine again.;)

Vadim-

What advice are you getting about pushing it aerobically and your heart rate? I am 9 weeks out and doing a combination of 3-4 mile walks or some bicycle on the trainer. Both include intervals with a max HR of about 135-140. In my last follow ups, my cardio didn't impose a limit but asked what's the point of pushing it (I don't think he gets it). Surgeon said do what you want. But, when I get around 140 bpm, I find myself wondering if I can/should go harder. I was just wondering what advice you were getting or if others who have returned to athletic endeavors did those first few months.

Vadim
I'm also wondering what advice you've been getting about weight lifting. I hate to be the one to bring this up as it appears to be your passion but everything I see seems to indicate the one thing those of us with connective tissue disorders should not do is lift heavy weights.
Take care,
Richard

Vadim-

What advice are you getting about pushing it aerobically and your heart rate? I am 9 weeks out and doing a combination of 3-4 mile walks or some bicycle on the trainer. Both include intervals with a max HR of about 135-140. In my last follow ups, my cardio didn't impose a limit but asked what's the point of pushing it (I don't think he gets it). Surgeon said do what you want. But, when I get around 140 bpm, I find myself wondering if I can/should go harder. I was just wondering what advice you were getting or if others who have returned to athletic endeavors did those first few months.

I understand human anatomy and training pretty well. My cardiologist knows where I come from supports my training, matter of fact, I believe he works with several tri-athletes as well. My surgeon is fully aware of what I was doing before surgery. Shoot, I trained almost till the day before. They both asked me to go by how I feel and initially take it easy and let things heal up, and gradually try things out. My surgeon was very clear making sure that I understand that my body will heal same as that of anyone else, and to take it easy initially and let the sternum and tissues heal well.

Today was my 6 week appointment with my surgeon, he was in the OR, so I saw his RN. She also said to go by how I feel. I mentioned about my jogs and interval training and she was ok so long as I felt well, kept my BP in constant check and was careful overall.

Vadim
I'm also wondering what advice you've been getting about weight lifting. I hate to be the one to bring this up as it appears to be your passion but everything I see seems to indicate the one thing those of us with connective tissue disorders should not do is lift heavy weights.
Take care,
Richard

Wanted to reply to your post directly. My surgeon and I had many talks about my competitions and powerlifting career. We had an agreement that I will be monitored yearly for changes, etc. He said that once we fix up my BAV and remove all the aneurysmic tissue, whose type is genetically same as my defective valve we should be good to go back and do what we do best. Interesting thing about connective tissue disorders is that there are like 200 of them. For BAV patients the parts at risk are most of the time ascending aorta, aortic root and hemi-arch. We (well, my surgeon) replaced my BAV with largest mechanical valve he could fit, he replaced my ascending aorta up-to and including hemi-arch with vascutech graft, and he reinforced my aortic root with felt strip to avoid future surgeries or root enlargement as my aortic root appears healthy at this time.

To answer your question, the advice I've been getting from my surgeon and cardiologist is very specific to me. I came in as a natural powerlifter, had many discussions about what the outcomes will be, etc., and now will soon resume the training slowly and see where we get. My surgeon said that it will be safer (less probability of dying under the bar) to train now post surgery than it was prior to it (mostly due aneurysm, not BAV). So, in some regards we are way better off now.

Hi TheGymGuy
Highly amazed how you are progressing with your recovery! You certainly seem to have a grasp of how you should
be training. I understand what you say about 'sore adductors' etc when you jog. Occassionally, I run up some very 'steep'
hills, I have learned a new way of attacking them...short quick stride, and nice lean forward. (but the next day...)
By the looks of your photo - weight training is sure your way to go. (ha ha)
Keep up the good work.
See Ya
Brian

Vadim,

I’ve been following most posts on this forum for a couple weeks now and I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate all of your posts! You seem very knowledgeable about your condition and I know that you have helped others as well.

As I read about your progress, you have also been an inspiration to me! Keep it up --- especially the running :)

Rachel

Hi TheGymGuy
Highly amazed how you are progressing with your recovery! You certainly seem to have a grasp of how you should
be training. I understand what you say about 'sore adductors' etc when you jog. Occassionally, I run up some very 'steep'
hills, I have learned a new way of attacking them...short quick stride, and nice lean forward. (but the next day...)
By the looks of your photo - weight training is sure your way to go. (ha ha)
Keep up the good work.
See Ya
Brian

Hey Brian,
I am not a runner by any means. Heck, I avoid it like plague when I can. My adductors were super sore because they have not gotten much game in 5 weeks. Something funny is that since my quads are pretty strong I prefer to take hills in large strides, to me the larger the stride and the more I lean (just like you) the more I can involve the quad and lots of posterior chain to push off of, and the faster I can conquer the hill. Hills are something to climb, conquer and put behind us - no need to prolong the pain ;)

I am not built for running, more so for car pushing, pulling, or lifting heavy weights ;) I do appreciate and respect running and since this is how I first lost some fat mass, it will always have a special place in my heart. I do still enjoy occasional 5k's (once a year for a special cause), but that is as far as I am willing to run for time.

Vadim,

I’ve been following most posts on this forum for a couple weeks now and I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate all of your posts! You seem very knowledgeable about your condition and I know that you have helped others as well.

As I read about your progress, you have also been an inspiration to me! Keep it up --- especially the running :)

Rachel

Hi Rachel. I take it you are a runner as well. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to run/jog, feel the wind hitting your face and running some more. To me even fast-paced walks during day time is what makes my day.

Though, I wanted to let ya know that there is a post in the making about my week #6 adventures. Let's just say that I am back to the gym lifting light weights as of my 6 week OHS anniversary, and tomorrow will be day 3 of me going to the gym in the row. My teammates are pretty glad to have me back, and I am happy to be around them, even though I am barely lifting anything serious ;)

Vadim,

I’m really glad to hear that you’re getting back into your own groove at the gym. I'm just impressed that you have even attempted to run, and so soon (as I know it's not at all your main exercise)!

I know you're not a runner, but wish you were, you're pretty inspirational.

Really looking forward to your next post!

Rachel

Latest posts

Back