Robin Williams

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejonbry

Williams recovering in Ohio after heart surgery
March 23, 2009, 12:59 PM EST
NEW YORK (AP) -- Robin Williams is recovering at a hospital in Cleveland after having heart surgery his doctors deemed successful.

The 57-year-old actor had an operation to replace an aortic valve at the Cleveland Clinic on March 13. Publicists Mara Buxbaum and Chris Kanarick say he is expected to make a complete recovery in the next eight weeks.

Williams was initially treated at the University of Miami Hospital before being transferred to Cleveland. He had been in Florida earlier this month when he was forced to cancel the remainder of his one-man comedy show, "Weapons of Self-Destruction" after experiencing shortness of breath.

In a statement Monday, Williams thanked his doctors and "all of the people who have expressed their love and concern for me."

HAHAHAAHAHA 8 weeks. Gotta love the media. What do you want to bet he doesn't resume touring this year?

The 57-year-old actor had an operation to replace an aortic valve at the Cleveland Clinic on March 13.

I liked this part where it makes it sound like he possibly had more than one aortic valve, but only one was replaced.

The byline is dated today and states he's still in the hospital, but also says the surgery was on the 13th. Did I read it wrong or has he been in there for 10 days?

HAHAHAAHAHA 8 weeks. Gotta love the media. What do you want to bet he doesn't resume touring this year?

What a joke. I took my full 12 week short term leave and then have the summer off as a teacher. I can't even imagine right now at day 14 post op going back to work.

I am shocked what this surgery did to my body. I never imagined ever feeling this bad.

"The operation was done to replace Williams' aortic valve, repair his mitral valve and correct an irregular heartbeat."

Ouch. Can you say mitral valve repair, aortic valve replacement and what sounds like a possible maze procedure, to boot! He sounds like he really belongs in this zoo, doesn't he?

Hey Robin, no laughter permitted without your heart pillow! At least not for a few weeks. And don't forget the Tawdry Shirt Photo!

What a joke. I took my full 12 week short term leave and then have the summer off as a teacher. I can't even imagine right now at day 14 post op going back to work.

I am shocked what this surgery did to my body. I never imagined ever feeling this bad.

I don't know why people think this is something easy. It's not. This surgery is not for pussies. People think I'm joking when I say it'll really take the wind out of your sails. ;)

The following is an article from the New York Times (it does not have the valve type):

The actor and comedian Robin Williams is recuperating from heart surgery he underwent March 13, after a health scare that forced the postponement of his ?Weapons of Self-Destruction? tour. In a news release, Mr. Williams?s publicists said that he had undergone a three-and-a-half hour procedure on Friday at the Cleveland Clinic to replace his aortic valve, repair his mitral valve and correct his irregular heartbeat. Earlier this month, Mr. Williams was performing in Florida when he announced he was postponing four shows because of shortness of breath; his heart problems were later diagnosed at the University of Miami Hospital. In a statement, Dr. A. Marc Gillinov, a staff cardiothoracic surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic, said that Mr. Williams would have normal heart function in a few weeks. Mr. Williams is expected to resume his ?Weapons of Self-Destruction? tour, which included dates on Broadway, in the fall.

Ten days sounds like maybe they're getting his INR in range. If they repaired his mitral, he might be thinking it will be a replacement later and thereby going mechanical with the aortic valve now.

Ten days sounds like maybe they're getting his INR in range. If they repaired his mitral, he might be thinking it will be a replacement later and thereby going mechanical with the aortic valve now.

I'm figuring they're just making sure he has no issues before releasing him. They don't want any more negative publicity and that would surely give it if it happened.

Latest posts

Back