Resuming Strength Training

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rush20

Bradenton/Lakewood Ranch, FL. (Heart Still In Chi
I'm curious how soon and at what intensity those who lifted weights prior to surgery resumed their training post surgery?

I had AVR on 8/29/03. I completed my 12-week Phase II rehab on Christmas Eve and resumed my personal training program on 12/29/03. To me it was symbolic to start on 12/29 due to the 4-month anniversary of my surgery more than anything else.

Anyway, I'm about 4 weeks into new program and I'm lifting 3-days per week and working the treadmill 3-days per week. Although I started very light, I'm back to about 75% of my pre-surgery lifting weight. My reps are very strict and I'm really focusing on breathing correctly. I try for 12-15 reps and 3 sets of each exercise. Although I have been focusing on dumbell expercises for control, I have been performing the bench press and squat.

My question, do you think this is too soon to begin lifting this heavy? I bought a Heart Rate Monitor and noticed (obviously) that my heart rate is the highest during the exercises that work the largest body muscles, i.e. legs, chest. Although my cardiologist gave me the green light to use weights, he really didn't go into any specific detail. The last day of my Phase II, I told the nurses I planned to resume lifting in the next few weeks and they told me to keep it light, between 5 and 10 lbs. I thought that perhaps they didn't hear me correctly in that I wasn't stuffing envelopes! :rolleyes:

In addition to lifting weights, I enjoy biking and baseball/softball in season (Chicago; April-October). I have been lifting consistently since I was 15 (I'm 40 now) so I have a good idea of what I'm doing, however I want to avoid any cardiac-related pitfalls. Any thoughts, ideas are appreciated.

Hey I am in Chicago too ! Anyway, I returned to weights 6 weeks post op but very very light weights. I found that when I pushed it I knew I had done too much, so will you. One thing to keep in mind, my doc told me that you are still healing internally 6 months post op, sometimes longer. So for a good 9 mos I stuck to lighter weights as a rule, I did not want to mess anything up !

Thanks Tom. You mentioned that when you pushed it you knew it. What do you mean? Obviously, my muscles were a little sore after the first few workouts, however, outside of heart rate, how do you know if you're pushing your heart too hard.

Thanks for the information regarding the heart healing 6 months post-op. I guess that means I have a few more weeks for the heart to heal (February 29th - hey Leap Year!).

I feel really good, however I don't want to do something stupid. I remember lying in the hospital two days after surgery looking down at the incision thinking, man I will never bench press again! Amazing how the body works.

Well understand that I weight lifted to support martial arts, so weights were cross training for me, I was not a bodybuilder or anything. But to answer, a few times I felt a strain across the incision, and stopped immediately. Generally however it was a feeling of fatigue the next day, or excessive soreness around the chest. I intentionally did not push too hard, took it easy, so this did not happen very much. My heartrate did go up more after the op than before when lifting, or doing anything, but in time it came down. FYI - I was told no "impact" sports until 9 mos post op, meaning no martial arts except solitary practice. Your body heals quickly, but it still takes time.

I lifted heavy prior to my surgery, benching 300 lb. After my surgery my cardiologist asked me to stop max weight lifting and lifting to failure. I also stopped doing squats and leg presses.
I still lift at least three days per week, but higher reps and more sets with moderate weights.
Fortunately, my doctor realized that because of my prior experience that "light weights" means something completely different for me than for most of his other patients. I now bench 180-200 lbs, curl 30 lb dumbells, use 120 lb for shoulder presses, etc.
I started lifting about 3 months after my surgery, but it took me about 9 months before I really felt "normal" again. My sternum was tender for a long time. I still avoid machines at the gym, like rowing machines, where your chest is pressing against a pad on the machine.
Also at my cardiologist's urging, I also spend at least half of my time at the gym doing aerobic work - he put no limitation on that.
Mark

I'm not a weight lifter, but I do recall two warnings about lifting.

NEVER hold your breath while doing any lifting.

Do NOT do Squats or Isometric Exercises.

The problem with these is related to increased
pressures within the heart during said activities.

Best to check with your Doctor and / or trainer.

'AL'

I have to second Mark's comments about using machines where you push against your chest...ouch. Made that mistake only once. And the idea that it took 9 mos. to really feel normal also is what I experienced. It seemed like for the first 6 mos. I thought I was ok, but went to the gym I quickly learned better. Between 9 and 12 mos post op was when I really began to feel myself again.

Hi Rush,

I think another concideration is " What was the reason for your surgery?" If your condition makes you more suspect to aneurysms or dissections... then heavy lifting is a sure way to shorten your life. They say that the weakest point will be at the site of the repair to the aorta.

Otherwise... Go for it.. just be concious of your limits... I sure miss my heavy lifting days..But I am sure enjoying life now.. and hope to for a long time!

Rob

Dumb question

Dumb question

But do any of you weight lifters ever worry about dropping the bar and it come crashing down on your chest?:eek: :eek: :eek: :( :confused: :confused: :confused: Or..do you have a spotter?Bonnie

If you attempt a lift that may tax your limits AND your brain is there and working you ask someone near by to spot for you, I see that all the time. Its the smart thing to do. If you do not and you cannot make the lift, well maybe Darwin had a point !

Thanks for all the feedback. I think the best approach is to limit or reduce the high-risk moves such as squat and dead lift. It seems those are the two exercises that put the most strain on the heart.

As to safety, I use a Soloflex so I don't have to worry about the bar hitting my chest or needing a spotter. I use free-weight dumbells for other exercises.

My city opened a fitness center with computerized Nautilus system. Lifting is new to me in the last 6 months. I use it as cross training for running (new to that too). I'm 36 months post surgery. I do 15-20 reps, 2 sets in a circuit of 13 exercises. Regardless of how well I do, I only raise the weight on a machine after two sessions of meeting 20 reps - 2 sets. I lift 1-3 days per week. Frankly, I'm more diligent about the running - 3 days per week.

please review info on another similar thread!!

please review info on another similar thread!!

Please also see a recent thread "New guy with Aortic Dissection question " by scrolling below 10 or so threads in 'Active Lifestyle' (i.e. same place your thread is present)... it was started by another member 'warnerd' with a similar situation like yours.. please get in touch with him...
good luck..
taranjit

Latest posts

Back